Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alert - First booking cx 885 (LAX-HKG) changed to bus NO NOTICE

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alert - First booking cx 885 (LAX-HKG) changed to bus NO NOTICE

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
IMHO, you were notified. An airline-initiated ticket re-issue is not common and generally indicates a significant change to your itinerary. Maybe it wasn't the way you would have chosen to be notified, but you were notified. "NO NOTICE" would have been showing up to LAX and being handed a BP in J.

FWIW, I also held a CX F booking on HKG-LAX that was affected by a change of equipment and was downgraded to J. Called up AS, had the 20k miles refunded with no issue. Pleasant experience.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:02 am

seems like a quite excellent development to get on SFO-HKG nonstop in F
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by USFFlyer
IMHO, you were notified. An airline-initiated ticket re-issue is not common and generally indicates a significant change to your itinerary. Maybe it wasn't the way you would have chosen to be notified, but you were notified. "NO NOTICE" would have been showing up to LAX and being handed a BP in J.

FWIW, I also held a CX F booking on HKG-LAX that was affected by a change of equipment and was downgraded to J. Called up AS, had the 20k miles refunded with no issue. Pleasant experience.
20k????? C is 60k and F is 70k.
What is pleasant for you may not be for someone else.
Given all the nastyish comments guess there isn't much point in trying to post to help someone else with info - too bad
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Business is 50k on CX (US - Asia). You may be thinking of JAL.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Business is 50k on CX (US - Asia). You may be thinking of JAL.
And so I was !!!! Thanks
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by estnet
Given all the nastyish comments guess there isn't much point in trying to post to help someone else with info - too bad
OP: reading your original post, you come off as indignant. Which, by itself is met with a certain level of opposition on FT (and especially in the AS forum). If you comb through the CX thread, you'll find your notification not uncommon for an equipment change. There are options to move forward.

Last edited by DrAlex; Feb 19, 2019 at 3:06 pm
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Originally Posted by estnet
20k????? C is 60k and F is 70k.
I appreciate your post - I checked a future reservation on CX to find no changes.

The advice given to “garden” reservations from time to time is a good one. The reality is that airlines do not always send notification of these sorts of things. Perhaps they should, but since they often don’t, this is something you can do to be proactive.

In addition, I also tend to assume that any reservation made more than three months or so in advance is not set in stone. Flight times change, equipment changes, and even the cabin booked can change. It’s best to go into these types of reservations with a flexible mindset, and then when a change inevitably happens, you’re prepared for it. Personally, if this happened to me, I’d be disappointed but also willing to accept the outcome of flying J and receiving a points refund.

Best of luck to you - I hope your new flights work out!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bretmd

I appreciate your post - I checked a future reservation on CX to find no changes.

The advice given to “garden” reservations from time to time is a good one. The reality is that airlines do not always send notification of these sorts of things. Perhaps they should, but since they often don’t, this is something you can do to be proactive.

In addition, I also tend to assume that any reservation made more than three months or so in advance is not set in stone. Flight times change, equipment changes, and even the cabin booked can change. It’s best to go into these types of reservations with a flexible mindset, and then when a change inevitably happens, you’re prepared for it. Personally, if this happened to me, I’d be disappointed but also willing to accept the outcome of flying J and receiving a points refund.

Best of luck to you - I hope your new flights work out!
This is exactly my situation. I, too, appreciate the post, and found it informative.

I think that people are responding more to the apparent anger. The point is that this stuff happens and you have to take it in stride. If the worst thing that ever happens to you as a result of a schedule or equipment change is that you have to fly in business, that would be very fortunate indeed.

If this happened to me I'd probably try to get them to rebook me on another flight in F, although if that wasn't possible I'd accept J and my 20k mile rebate as a consolation prize, without complaint. My flight (a month out) is actually F0, so I don't know how easy it would be to get F on another flight. I'm looking forward to flying CX F (my first time) but it's not a deal-breaker if I can't (econ would be a deal-breaker). BKK - HKG - SFO with a stopover in HKG, all for 50k miles, all in business, is still a pretty sweet deal.
estnet and DrAlex like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I routinely pay an extra 20K for CX in F. Yes IMO it's worth it.
estnet likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DrAlex
OP: reading your original post, you come off as indignant. Which, by itself is met with a certain level of opposition on FT (and especially in the AS forum). If you comb through the CX thread, you'll find your notification not uncommon for an equipment change. There are options to move forward.
OK - really was a bit upset - indignant??? I don't know, but I really do wish airlines would be more diligent about informing important changes (like change in class) - after all they seem to be constantly telling me about a 5 or 10 minute flight change .......
Anyway I know people interpret what I thought was a polite reminder differently on the net, but I thought I was pretty clear I was trying to warn people.
I do appreciate the other comments thanking me - I've certainly had plane changes make a F change to C - but it was a 4 hour flight not a 14 hour flight and since this seemed to be a total schedule change (but not clear when it starts) - not a last minute substitute .......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.