Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alert - First booking cx 885 (LAX-HKG) changed to bus NO NOTICE

Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium

Apparently Cathay is changing the equipment for 885 to NO F

I had an award booking sfo-lax-bkk in May. A few days ago I received an email of change of time - no problem - sfo-lax changed by 30 minutes. A few days later I received a new ticket, but my lax-hkg had changed from F to C!!!
When I called Alaska they said CX said change of aircraft so no F - apparently CX is changing the aircraft between now and May (don't know when)! Had I not been connecting with the time change on AS I would not know until????
NO NOTIFICATION BY CX OR AS THAT THE CHANGE HAD BEEN MADE
So I now have time to make other plans - but if you have award booking on this flight might be a good idea to check when the equipment change occurs and take action now.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by estnet
Apparently Cathay is changing the equipment for 885 to NO F

I had an award booking sfo-lax-bkk in May. A few days ago I received an email of change of time - no problem - sfo-lax changed by 30 minutes. A few days later I received a new ticket, but my lax-hkg had changed from F to C!!!
When I called Alaska they said CX said change of aircraft so no F - apparently CX is changing the aircraft between now and May (don't know when)! Had I not been connecting with the time change on AS I would not know until????
NO NOTIFICATION BY CX OR AS THAT THE CHANGE HAD BEEN MADE
So I now have time to make other plans - but if you have award booking on this flight might be a good idea to check when the equipment change occurs and take action now.
I flew CX 885 on February 7th and was advised of the downgrade to J months ahead. AS processed a 20K mile return. Still a great flight. When you are booking far out, there is always a chance things will change. I take those in stride.

James
DrAlex and AS737 like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I flew CX 885 on February 7th and was advised of the downgrade to J months ahead. AS processed a 20K mile return. Still a great flight. When you are booking far out, there is always a chance things will change. I take those in stride.

James
My point is that I was NOT notified - only found out in the email with ticket reissue when I looked at detail! I WAS notified of a 30 minute schedule change but not the change of service therefore trying to alert others who might be interested.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
This is why it's a good idea to garden your bookings on a regular basis.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jinglish
This is why it's a good idea to garden your bookings on a regular basis.
So when I find something like this I shouldn't share it to alert others?????
I know I would have been grateful to be alerted to this if the airlines don't feel it's their responsibilty to do it - I can't check all my bookings all the time - AND the reservation before the ticket was reissued still showed my seat as F (I believe - don't check every day) in the AS system,
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:54 pm

I know I would have been grateful to be alerted to this if the airlines don't feel it's their responsibilty to do it - I can't check all my bookings all the time - AND the reservation before the ticket was reissued still showed my seat as F (I believe - don't check every day) in the AS system,
Clearly, you are upset. My experience differs significantly. Of course it would still show F before the ticket reissue.The reissue was required because of the equipment change and loss of an F cabin. AS doesn't dictate what equipment CX utilizes on a route.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Am I the only one who was trying to figure out how a bus could operate LAX-HKG?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kjnangre
OK, ok business, C or U depending on your preference
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Drive it onto a ship. Great MPG!

James
estnet likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:39 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus, Marriott Gold
Drive it onto a ship. Great MPG!

James
Plus the amount of Greyhound Rewards you earn will get you a free round trip from Albuquerque to Boise!
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

James
1. Who were you notified by (AS or CX)?
2. How do you check this? Is it enough to look at the reservation in the Alaska app it do you need to go to the partner airline web page?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Where on earth in my one-sentence post do you think I implied that?
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
2. How do you check this? Is it enough to look at the reservation in the Alaska app it do you need to go to the partner airline web page?
I can't speak to cabin downgrades specifically, but in the past when I've had aircraft changes on partner awards, the previous aircraft type has still shown on the AS site and mobile app. So far I've only seen this when the flight number has stayed the same.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
AS, AS!
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Call AS and ask them to request that CX open up Z inventory on CX881/883 the night before.

CX is randomly sending aircraft with no F to SFO/LAX - not a specific flight reliably, so you need to check your specific dates.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Call AS and ask them to request that CX open up Z inventory on CX881/883 the night before.

CX is randomly sending aircraft with no F to SFO/LAX - not a specific flight reliably, so you need to check your specific dates.
As for me - I made a mistake (based on JL availability for the date which disappeared before I could book it) I was able to cancel w/o penalty. They did offer to ask CX to open up Z on another flight but said it would be at least 3 days (and there were other complications as I was connecting to this flight and I thought the chances of CX obliging was low b/c of the mistake fare) and I made a bad decision based on my thought I could just book on JL (still a possibility as flight is not right away)

Do you have further info on the "random" aircraft change since I have other flights coming up sfo/lax?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.