Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AA flight number operated by BA - AS miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2020, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold

Hi all,

I am sure I could have found that with more searching - so let me apologize for my laziness and asking right here. I am thinking of changing a flight on Friday from AA to AS mileage account - don't use AS mileage other than for CC points so not very familiar with the plan. We are flying MIA-LHR-MUC - all AA flight numbers on BA metal. MIA-LHR is booked as J and LHR-MUC in S - this is due to an AA operated flight with confirmed upgrade being cancelled - so rebooking is in J - but at a very low AA ticket value - so crediting AA doesn't seem to make much sense.

Reading the terms on the AS web site - it reads you can earn miles for AA flight numbers operated by AA - of course one could fly BA and get miles there. But it doesn't explicitly say that you can have an AA flight number operated by BA. I would assume that would work and the AA multiplier (for J) would apply rather than the BA one which seems better.

Or would I not get miles at all?

Thanks
Old Dec 16, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flying_geek
Hi all,

I am sure I could have found that with more searching - so let me apologize for my laziness and asking right here. I am thinking of changing a flight on Friday from AA to AS mileage account - don't use AS mileage other than for CC points so not very familiar with the plan. We are flying MIA-LHR-MUC - all AA flight numbers on BA metal. MIA-LHR is booked as J and LHR-MUC in S - this is due to an AA operated flight with confirmed upgrade being cancelled - so rebooking is in J - but at a very low AA ticket value - so crediting AA doesn't seem to make much sense.

Reading the terms on the AS web site - it reads you can earn miles for AA flight numbers operated by AA - of course one could fly BA and get miles there. But it doesn't explicitly say that you can have an AA flight number operated by BA. I would assume that would work and the AA multiplier (for J) would apply rather than the BA one which seems better.

Or would I not get miles at all?

Thanks
No miles! The marketing airline and the operating airline must be the same. If you are flying BA medal on AA codeshare flight number, you will not earn anything in Mileage Plan.

To ensure flight credit for travel on American Airlines, the two-letter airline code (AA) must precede the flight number (for example, AA XXXX) on your ticket receipt or boarding pass, and the flight must be operated by American Airlines. Flights marketed by another carrier and operated by American or marketed by American and operated by another carrier are not eligible to earn Mileage Plan miles, even if both partners are Mileage Plan partners.

James
Old Dec 16, 2020, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But people have reported getting AS ff miles on such flights where both are AS ff partners, even if again the t&c's. Some times with a retro claim. But has risks,
June 2018 AS thread-->AS FF number on boarding pass for BA operated AA numbered flight

After March 31 2021, when AS joins Oneworld, would be able to get AS ff miles, with earning based on the marketing carrier (flight number)
Old Dec 16, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, exiled from AA (2.7MM)
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
But people have reported getting AS ff miles on such flights where both are AS ff partners, even if again the t&c's. Some times with a retro claim. But has risks,
June 2018 AS thread-->AS FF number on boarding pass for BA operated AA numbered flight

After March 31 2021, when AS joins Oneworld, would be able to get AS ff miles, with earning based on the marketing carrier (flight number)
While I hope and expect AS will formally state that as long as the flight is operated and marketed by a OW carrier it will earn miles even when the carriers are different, have we seen confirmation of this? On AA, earnings are based on the marketing carrier when that is the case.

There have been a lot of posts about fare class designator letters. The OW carriers are generally aligned in this regard (I recall AA making a bunch of changes to align with other OW carriers at some point), but it is far from universal, in particular for discounted buckets. I have not seen any indication whether AS plans to change any letters.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

off topic (AS OW)

Originally Posted by ACBLtd
While I hope and expect AS will formally state that as long as the flight is operated and marketed by a OW carrier it will earn miles even when the carriers are different, have we seen confirmation of this? On AA, earnings are based on the marketing carrier when that is the case.

There have been a lot of posts about fare class designator letters. The OW carriers are generally aligned in this regard (I recall AA making a bunch of changes to align with other OW carriers at some point), but it is far from universal, in particular for discounted buckets. I have not seen any indication whether AS plans to change any letters.
With all other OW airlines you earn, based on marketing carrier, where both airlines are OW. Cannot see AS being any different. Note some low fare buckets can earn nothing. CX are notorious for this, and some with QF and others.

AA changed first class, on domestic 2 class (first economy) aircraft, from A to D a few years ago. Other(all?) oneworld airlines have F A as first, J D I as business, W premium economy and many fare buckets for economy fares. The other OW airlines generally only have(had) first class long haul wide body flights. And maybe some regional aircraft. In some ways the ancient AA domestic first seats were about equal(or less) to a long haul good airlines wide body premium economy seat. A big difference to AA USA domestic First in an old narrow body aircraft. AA domestic first in A bucket was a cheap great earner for non USA freq flyer programs

OW have some round the world products that include selling as AONE*. DONE* & LONE*. (first, business economy)
I expect a realignment of some AS fare buckets on March 31, 2021
In Oneworld Alliance earnings are based on marketing carrier (flight number) with an eligible operating carrier.
In Star Alliance earnings are based on operating carrier with an eligible marketing carrier (flight number).

on topic

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 16, 2020 at 8:20 pm
Old Dec 16, 2020, 4:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I commented on this topic in the Premium Mileage Run thread. The new verbage of both Marketing & Operating carrier being the same for MP accrual is even included in the new Qatar partner details. It may very well change come March 31st, 2021 but I wouldn't expect any codeshares to accrue before then.

Premium Mileage Run Deals

James
Old Dec 16, 2020, 4:41 pm

My multiple experiences with this situation in the past (although I've not done in 2020) have all credited to AS without issue. The key is making sure you do not have a FF# on the reservation paperwork or boarding passes. If you can send in your boarding passes and your invoice without a FF# on them, I've always had Alaska credit to my Alaska account. Again, I'd make sure you pull all FF# off the reservation though. Then even if Alaska doesn't credit, you could go back and get AA credit.
thanks
Old Dec 16, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Tons of threads on similar situations already

Alaska Denied mile credit from AA codeshare BA operated flight
Book JAL flight, marketed by AA: mileage earnings on AS?
International flight.. marketed by AA, operated by BA.Using AS mileagePlan for credit
Is it possible to credit CX marketed flight operated by BA to AS?
Earning Alaska miles on Qantas flight operated by American
eddiehuang97 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 6:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, exiled from AA (2.7MM)
Originally Posted by badgersfly
My multiple experiences with this situation in the past (although I've not done in 2020) have all credited to AS without issue. The key is making sure you do not have a FF# on the reservation paperwork or boarding passes. If you can send in your boarding passes and your invoice without a FF# on them, I've always had Alaska credit to my Alaska account. Again, I'd make sure you pull all FF# off the reservation though. Then even if Alaska doesn't credit, you could go back and get AA credit.
thanks
The problem with this is if your FF# is never in the record, you then forgo some of your status benefits. If I have OW emerald status, on BA, I am entitled to select exit row seats from time of booking for free. Not having a FF# in the record would take away that benefit. While changing the FF# is usually possible, it can be hard to remove the FF# you've entered. I hope this will be moot as posters suggest AS will move to the OW standard of earnings by marketing carrier on codeshares with any OW airline as operating carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.