FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Is there hope for an SMF-RNO one-way? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1956159-there-hope-smf-rno-one-way.html)

vanillabean Feb 13, 2019 3:23 pm

Is there hope for an SMF-RNO one-way?

I tried to book SMF-RNO online, but "We are unable to complete your search request. The flights may be full, or there may not be flights available for the time or day of week requested.” Is there a trick to bring up say SEA as the transfer airport for a one-way, or must I resort to multi-city?

jrl767 Feb 13, 2019 3:28 pm

I seriously doubt that there's any sort of "hack" to get AS to show (or price) that route as anything but two point-to-point legs

sfozrhfco Feb 13, 2019 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by vanillabean (Post 30775131)
I tried to book SMF-RNO online, but "We are unable to complete your search request. The flights may be full, or there may not be flights available for the time or day of week requested.” Is there a trick to bring up say SEA as the transfer airport for a one-way, or must I resort to multi-city?

Most efficient one way would be on Amtrak, Greyhound, car rental, or personal car. If you must fly UA through SFO. It is only 149 miles between the two.

vanillabean Feb 13, 2019 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 30775154)
I seriously doubt that there's any sort of "hack" to get AS to show (or price) that route as anything but two point-to-point legs

Thank you. For March 26 at 4:50p-9:30p for Alaska on Orbitz, I get SMF-BOI-RNO at $140. When I do a multi-trip directly on Alaska, the cost for the same flights is $67 + $69 = $136, so apparently Orbitz is doing a multi-trip.

Of course I could simply take a train for $47, but flying out and returning by train might come in handy for an enjoyable way to to make MVP at the end of the year. I might even use the companion ticket along with say BOS-SEA-SFO, if doable.

Often1 Feb 13, 2019 4:59 pm

It is almost a certainty that AS doesn't file a fare for SMOF-RNO, so you are simply purchasing the two separately-priced segments but have a protected connection. As you've found a good fare, the only real downside is the ridiculously long time-frame and the risk of going through all that to get stuck at BOI in IRROPS.

tom911 Feb 13, 2019 5:05 pm

What does Southwest charge for their nonstops?

worldwidedreamer Feb 13, 2019 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 30775495)

I commute OAK-RNO for about $60 each way. FWIW last time I flew WN SMF-RNO it was about the same price. (And back then was $29 OAK-RNO).

For the OP: Might be cheaper to call an Uber.

eponymous_coward Feb 13, 2019 5:39 pm

AS flies SJC-RNO nonstop as well...

vanillabean Feb 13, 2019 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 30775486)
... so you are simply purchasing the two separately-priced segments but have a protected connection.

Thank you, that’s good to be sure of.

PABE Feb 14, 2019 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by tom911 (Post 30775495)

I'm pretty sure WN doesn't fly SMF-RNO currently. It's not showing on their fare search.

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer (Post 30775594)
I commute OAK-RNO for about $60 each way. FWIW last time I flew WN SMF-RNO it was about the same price. (And back then was $29 OAK-RNO).

For the OP: Might be cheaper to call an Uber.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 30775603)
AS flies SJC-RNO nonstop as well...

Driving time from Sacramento to San Jose is about the same as Reno (2.5 hr). It doesn't make much sense to drive 2.5 hrs the wrong direction to fly back to Reno.
But then again, flying SMF-SEA-RNO doesn't make mush sense either (9x farther) ;)

Eastbay1K Feb 14, 2019 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by sturges (Post 30778769)

Driving time from Sacramento to San Jose is about the same as Reno (2.5 hr). It doesn't make much sense to drive 2.5 hrs the wrong direction to fly back to Reno.
But then again, flying SMF-SEA-RNO doesn't make mush sense either (9x farther) ;)

For 50000 bonus miles, extra GGUs, Lounge Passes, premium seats at booking and top priority on all the lists, it makes a lot of sense. (Ok, we can revisit my comment around November.) ;)

beckoa Feb 14, 2019 2:20 pm

Multi city is your friend