FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Unable to book tickets for family using miles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1956024-unable-book-tickets-family-using-miles.html)

Nic81 Feb 12, 19 8:44 pm

Unable to book tickets for family using miles

I bought miles from points.com and would like to use it in Alaska partner airline but the customer service told me I can only buy the air ticket in my own name. Anyone knows why? I am stuck with lots of miles and transferring cost is quite alot.

satman40 Feb 12, 19 8:59 pm

Points.com is who you should call,

I have gave miles away that were close to expiring and booked them for the receiver.

I have also gave away Loung Passes, as others have done,,

minz56 Feb 12, 19 9:53 pm

I don't think this has anything to do with points.com. My understanding is that the OP bought the points for his own MP account then wanted to redeem for a family member.

This seems to be a further example of AS clamping down on purchasing miles to be used by someone other than the account holder. Check out the thread where a longstanding MP member had a friend's ticket cancelled at the last minute...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...ble-merge.html

The question is whether AS's T&C's permit or preclude the purchase of a ticket for a friend or family member, particularly when the account holder is not travelling.

Nic81 Feb 12, 19 10:35 pm

I think it is this case. However, I am booking for the whole family (mum, dad, sis and kids and myself)
I have to make an international call and waiting time is long...
I am not sure if I should check with the CC agent again or just purchase miles again individually.
Any idea how many seats are given to Alaska air under JAL flight? I am afraid we cannot fly together now.

pbd456 Feb 12, 19 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Nic81 (Post 30772028)
I think it is this case. However, I am booking for the whole family (mum, dad, sis and kids and myself)
I am not sure if I should check with the CC agent again or just purchase miles again individually.
Any idea how many seats are given to Alaska air under JAL flight? I am afraid we cannot fly together now.

what are you trying to redeem? are you elite member? there is a limit of buying 150k miles now.. and you want to book 6+ tickets?

ashill Feb 12, 19 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Nic81 (Post 30772028)

That at least should be easy if you have decent Internet access: calling US 1-800 numbers, including Alaska's number, is free via Skype.

ashill Feb 12, 19 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Nic81 (Post 30771756)
I bought miles from points.com and would like to use it in Alaska partner airline but the customer service told me I can only buy the air ticket in my own name. Anyone knows why? I am stuck with lots of miles and transferring cost is quite alot.

I recall a limitation on new accounts being unable to purchase tickets mostly or entirely using purchased miles, which presumably includes miles transferred in via points.com. I can't find it now; does anyone else recall this? And can anyone find the link and/or FlyerTalk thread?

Nic81 Feb 12, 19 11:20 pm

I have 150k miles and have enough to buy 6 tickets.

ashill Feb 13, 19 12:30 am

Originally Posted by Nic81 (Post 30772110)
I have 150k miles and have enough to buy 6 tickets.

Right, but have you earned any by flying AS (or even a partner)? I recall (but canít find) an obscure rule that prohibits new Mileage Plan members from purchasing or transferring points and then using them without earning any miles by flying, or something along those lines. But without being able to find whatever Iím remembering, thatís not very helpful.

minz56 Feb 13, 19 12:41 am

Originally Posted by ashill (Post 30772273)

Right, but have you earned any by flying AS (or even a partner)? I recall (but can’t find) an obscure rule that prohibits new Mileage Plan members from purchasing or transferring points and then using them without earning any miles by flying, or something along those lines. But without being able to find whatever I’m remembering, that’s not very helpful.

I got a JL award ticket last year for 25,000 points using a combination of points transferred from SPG and a small top-up. At that time I had no points from flying on AS or a partner and my account was opened in early 2018. I had no issues. The ticket was only for myself.

Nic81 Feb 13, 19 1:43 am

That is similar to what I am doing. I bought miles from Points.com and want to redeem it for my travel to Japan. I will try to skype them tonight and see what happens. Thank you for your replies.

skimthetrees Feb 13, 19 3:57 am

Originally Posted by Nic81 (Post 30772438)
That is similar to what I am doing. I bought miles from Points.com and want to redeem it for my travel to Japan. I will try to skype them tonight and see what happens. Thank you for your replies.

You can redeem on alaskaair.com for JAL flights. Will they not let you book online with your points? I use my miles to book for family members regularly online with no issues.

ETA: You mentioned you had 150k which was enough for 6 tickets. This sounds like you are flying inter-Asia, not to or from the US, is that right? I believe there is a restriction on purchasing or changing flights on short notice for flights not to or from the US but you should be able to book flights further out I would think.

WebTraveler Feb 13, 19 6:15 am

I get what Alaska is doing here, but wow, it sells miles, and then has all sorts of issues like this on redeeming them. If this such an issue then Alaska and it's points partners need to make this very clear what is going on and what will be done. It's impossible for someone who does not follow this stuff regularly to understand comprehend this. And he's right, he purchased the miles in good faith (probably from a link on the Alaska website) and under the theory he can use them - and now he finds he can't. He's out the cost of the miles and he's stuck.

Nic81 Feb 13, 19 6:24 am

The thing is there is nothing written about such restrictions. Reservations says no issue but my plan is locked so I need to call customer care when it opens.

Often1 Feb 13, 19 6:32 am

This sounds like a bit of miscommunication. If AS has locked OP's account, there will be a reason for that and that reason is what OP needs to communicate here.