Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Unable to book tickets for family using miles

Unable to book tickets for family using miles

Old Feb 14, 19, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
There is a thread dating to 2015 with quite similar experiences. The general theme is people acquiring large pots of AS miles without any earning from flying (AS or even its partners) and then using the miles to purchase long haul, generally but not always premium cabin, tickets for others. The terms and conditions do not say that this type of activity is frowned upon (), but I understand where AS is coming from.

The post at the beginning of that thread is particularly illustrative. Alaska doesn't claim to have a general rule prohibiting redemption of miles for other people, but they have imposed that rule on specific accounts as part of a fraud/abuse investigation, even when there wasn't any activity that they could prove violated specific terms, relying instead on the general "we can do whatever we want" provision in the terms & conditions.

I think that this FlyerTalk column sheds good light on where AS is coming from. AS on average makes money selling miles, but they almost certainly don't make money on customers who buy large numbers of miles and redeem them for expensive tickets without flying AS.
Old Feb 14, 19, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Bloggers do seem to pump the purchase of Alaska miles for those that do not fly them.
Most (all?) frequent flyer programs morphing into frequent spender programs
Are a good profit center for airlines
Old Feb 18, 19, 10:36 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
Originally Posted by minz56 View Post
I got a JL award ticket last year for 25,000 points using a combination of points transferred from SPG and a small top-up. At that time I had no points from flying on AS or a partner and my account was opened in early 2018. I had no issues. The ticket was only for myself.
the problem arises when one tries to buy award seats for other people with purchased miles. Using Miles only for oneself might be OK ( and was in your case).
Old Feb 19, 19, 1:06 pm

Thanks

Last edited by hondaman82; Feb 19, 19 at 1:12 pm
Old Feb 19, 19, 1:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, AS, UA, WN; Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Bloggers do seem to pump the purchase of Alaska miles for those that do not fly them. Here's one from just last month from a very popular blog - not a single word in it about flying the airline. He's not the only blogger posting about the value of buying Alaska miles.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/alaska-buy-miles-promo/

If Alaska is going to place restrictive rules in place about the redemption of those miles, they really need to spell it out on points.com or on the Alaska website.
They get a commission for pumping points.com. If you use Topcashback, you get 2% back on purchases. You can imagine how much they get in commissions for pumping points.
Old Feb 19, 19, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Some people forget/ignore the frequent and flyer bit of airline frequent flyer loyalty programs.
Given the number of marketing emails I get every week from various airlines and hotels, encouraging me to BUY points and miles, they, too, seem to consider their programs something more than a frequent flyer program.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Feb 19, 19, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
Given the number of marketing emails I get every week from various airlines and hotels, encouraging me to BUY points and miles, they, too, seem to consider their programs something more than a frequent flyer program.
Silly. They want you to buy the miles, not use them. (At least not for redemptions that clearly have more value than the cost of the miles redeemed entirely with purchased miles.)
Old Feb 19, 19, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ashill View Post
Silly. They want you to buy the miles, not use them. (At least not for redemptions that clearly have more value than the cost of the miles redeemed entirely with purchased miles.)

who/what is silly?

Of course they would like to sell them at price that lets them make a profit. But with the current program that is t guaranteed, And they don’t tell you that they may be imposing restrictions ...

Maybe they should switch to a fixed value scheme. “We have a great deal for you: Buy 25,000 miles for $500 and redeem them for travel worth up to $400. Don’t delay, but now!”
Old Feb 19, 19, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
who/what is silly?
I was typing in my four-year-old's sarcastic voice, calling you silly. The humor may have failed to translate to text, or not been there in the first place.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: