Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Award change fee waived when get obtain MVP GOLD

Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

I need to cancel a CX award by next week. I was given two options of either getting a full refund or save the ticket value (taxes and fees) for later as quoted below:

Email the canceled ticket numbers and use later to retrieve the value.
  • Pay nothing today. At the time your ticket is exchanged for a new one, a per person change fee of $125 USD may apply, plus any difference in fare and taxes.
  • Save the ticket numbers you receive by email. You may use the value toward travel completed by February 26, 2020.
I'm a bit intrigued by the second option because currently I have no status with Alaska but will obtain MVP Gold later this year, which means I can exchange my ticket value later this year without paying for the $125 change fee? Is this right? Am I missing something?
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
No, that's correct. You may need to call in to refund it with your new status when it's achieved as the ticket might "stick" with your old status, but it should be waived by the phone agent if that happens. Only downside is you won't have access to those miles if you need them sooner.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Awesome, thanks! I just chose the second option and I've also confirmed this with Alaska over Twitter. What a nice workaround!
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iemadv
I need to cancel a CX award by next week. I was given two options of either getting a full refund or save the ticket value (taxes and fees) for later as quoted below:

I'm a bit intrigued by the second option because currently I have no status with Alaska but will obtain MVP Gold later this year, which means I can exchange my ticket value later this year without paying for the $125 change fee? Is this right? Am I missing something?
I did this last year. Canceled a JL award when a better routing opened up. Got the ticket numbers emailed, and didn't redeposit until I became Gold in December.

I lost the $12.50 partner booking fee but saved the $125 change fee so overall, a big win. of course you also have to "float" the miles until you redeposit.

This works for cash tickets too, as far as I know.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
This works for cash tickets too, as far as I know.
Yup, confirmed. I did this with some cash tickets (emailed ticket numbers immediately, then deposited to My Wallet after getting MVPG) when I knew I was a week away from earning MVPG.

Last edited by jhurwitz; Feb 9, 2019 at 10:42 am Reason: clarifying that the deposit to My Wallet was after earning MVPG

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.