FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   AS Cancels EK Award Tickets for My Friend [Possible Merge] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1955205-cancels-ek-award-tickets-my-friend-possible-merge.html)

A3queen May 15, 2019 10:21 am

Alaska now said they’d refund expenses

FYI I didn’t buy or sell any miles, and I was personally on the trip myself. Every conversation w: Alaska is documented with notes taken, or voice recorded etc. one costumer service rep actually HUNG UP on my assistant. I believe someone made a mistake and the rest of the staff were instructed to cover it up. We DID file a complaint with DOT. Bottom line - it should not be ok for any company to sell us something, confirm sale, then rescind the item on a whim. It costs people time and money to deal with random, untrained corporate bull like that. Thankfully I DID receive a message back from Alaska customer service after filing the complaint. She said they researched the case notes, & she acknowledged a mistake had been made and there was NO basis to think I had done something wrong with the ticket. They said they will reimburse me for the out of pocket expenses their error cost me & asked me to send the receipts... so I spent another day gathering all receipts & I sent them to Alaska. That was 2 wks ago. They’ve yet to confirm receipt of the documents or reimburse me. I really hope this time they honor their word & do what they say.

formeraa May 15, 2019 12:27 pm

Well, that sounds better. Honestly, having worked for AA, I think that the fraud department put notes in your record that basically told the agents to not speak with you any further on this issue. This probably hampered any future conversations (whether with a supervisor or not). The compounding issue is that the fraud departments does not/will not talk directly to customers, nor do they tell customer service the exact details of the fraud.

Hopefully, the DOT complaint prompted them to take a fresh look at this issue and they realized that there was no actual fraud. I will tell you that your transaction fits the profile of a large percentage of fraud in many industries at this time (i.e. VPN, location, last minute purchase, etc.). Glad that it seems to be getting straightened out.

VegasGambler May 15, 2019 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by A3queen (Post 31104193)
FYI I didn’t buy or sell any miles, and I was personally on the trip myself. Every conversation w: Alaska is documented with notes taken, or voice recorded etc. one costumer service rep actually HUNG UP on my assistant. I believe someone made a mistake and the rest of the staff were instructed to cover it up. We DID file a complaint with DOT. Bottom line - it should not be ok for any company to sell us something, confirm sale, then rescind the item on a whim. It costs people time and money to deal with random, untrained corporate bull like that. Thankfully I DID receive a message back from Alaska customer service after filing the complaint. She said they researched the case notes, & she acknowledged a mistake had been made and there was NO basis to think I had done something wrong with the ticket. They said they will reimburse me for the out of pocket expenses their error cost me & asked me to send the receipts... so I spent another day gathering all receipts & I sent them to Alaska. That was 2 wks ago. They’ve yet to confirm receipt of the documents or reimburse me. I really hope this time they honor their word & do what they say.

I'm curious to hear how the DOT replies.

It's unfortunate that AS treated you so poorly until the DOT complaint.

It seems like the way to go with issues like this is complain to AS, and, if they give you the runaround, immediately complain to the DOT.

MasterGeek May 18, 2019 4:08 pm

I will make sure to complain to the DOT if I book tickets for others and AS tries to bully me into booking for myself only. AS cannot prove that I'm reselling tickets if I'm doing so.

eponymous_coward May 18, 2019 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek (Post 31115176)
I will make sure to complain to the DOT if I book tickets for others and AS tries to bully me into booking for myself only. AS cannot prove that I'm reselling tickets if I'm doing so.

There’s plenty of ways to prove it, but discussion on how to best violate program terms is against board rules. I know of FT members who thought they could outsmart FFPs and found out otherwise. But you do you, boo.

MasterGeek May 20, 2019 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 31115691)

There’s plenty of ways to prove it, but discussion on how to best violate program terms is against board rules. I know of FT members who thought they could outsmart FFPs and found out otherwise. But you do you, boo.

boo to you for agreeing with policies made to maximize Alaska's profits at the expense of consumers

A3queen May 29, 2019 12:36 am

There are super simple ways to PROVE that someone is a friend or family member and in my case, the dozens of social media posts on both me and my friends accounts showing us traveling around South Africa together for 2 weeks prior to Alaska situation is surely proof enough that I‘m not a tix broker. Also I clearly have my own provable career in the music biz for over 30 years. There are no grey areas in terms of my proof I DO understand how it could have “looked” like fraud when it first came in. which is why we kept calling & providing whatever they asked for to prove it wasn’t. As a side note, it also took another day to gather all of the receipts, voice notes etc & we still haven’t gotten the check from Alaska yet. Companies will surely make mistakes, but it’s how they handle them that really counts & shows integrity. Fingers crossed that they do what they said they’d do this time.

eponymous_coward May 29, 2019 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek (Post 31122137)
boo to you for agreeing with policies made to maximize Alaska's profits at the expense of consumers

A number of policies airlines come up with to maximize profits are because some consumers are maximizing 'finding "tricks" and "loopholes" for cheaper/better travel'- tricks like brokering frequent flyer accounts to get premium cabin travel for pennies on the dollar. And then people like the OP of this thread who are doing things legitimately get caught in the crossfire.

MasterGeek May 29, 2019 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 31150460)
A number of policies airlines come up with to maximize profits are because some consumers are maximizing 'finding "tricks" and "loopholes" for cheaper/better travel'- tricks like brokering frequent flyer accounts to get premium cabin travel for pennies on the dollar. And then people like the OP of this thread who are doing things legitimately get caught in the crossfire.

Airline was paid for the miles credited to member accounts. But it implemented restrictions that promote "breakage" of miles (non-usage and expiration of miles) to get away from fulfilling its part of the deal to pad its profits.

eponymous_coward May 29, 2019 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek (Post 31151223)
Airline was paid for the miles credited to member accounts. But it implemented restrictions that promote "breakage" of miles (non-usage and expiration of miles) to get away from fulfilling its part of the deal to pad its profits.

You're veering rather off-topic, but do let us know how it all works out for you.

Airlines don't let you resell miles to third parties for the same reasons they don't let you resell airline tickets to those same third parties.

Anyways, good luck in your future use of "tricks and loopholes".

ashill May 29, 2019 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek (Post 31151223)

The terms and conditions of Mileage Plan and every other frequent flyer program prohibit members from selling miles. I personally am glad they do. They are enforcing those rules, but in this case (apparently) erroneously; that is the problem.

Without rehashing the entire thread, the OP did not do themselves favors in a few ways, but it does appear that AS has (at last) realized that they were in error.

MasterGeek May 29, 2019 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 31151259)
You're veering rather off-topic, but do let us know how it all works out for you.

Airlines don't let you resell miles to third parties for the same reasons they don't let you resell airline tickets to those same third parties.

Anyways, good luck in your future use of "tricks and loopholes".

I'm doing well, thanks. Recently flew CX and JL First and did an Aeroplan mini-RTW and 3 week stay in Hawaii using miles/points and without having to do any butt in seat/bed grind.

ashill May 29, 2019 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek (Post 31151671)
I'm doing well, thanks. Recently flew CX and JL First and did an Aeroplan mini-RTW and 3 week stay in Hawaii using miles/points and without having to do any butt in seat/bed grind.

Pretty sure @eponymous_coward was referring to selling miles. Have you done that?

If you're just talking about using credit cards (perhaps churning) and the like to earn large amounts of miles and points, yes, we all know that can be done within the terms if you're willing enough and have the ability to put that much (possibly manufactured) spend on a card. That's different.

dayone May 30, 2019 3:54 pm

The original issue has been resolved favorably so we'll close.