Miles from partner airline

Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Miles from partner airline

If you fly on an Alaska partner, how do you attach the miles to your Alaska account for MVP-qualified travel? Just haven’t tried it.

Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:12 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Put your Alaska Mileage Plan number in when you make your partner airline booking as the frequent flyer number.

Neil
icelandman2 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:40 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
You should be able to modify existing bookings online as well. If its a partner airline, they should have a field in your traveler details for frequent flier #. It'll probably default to the airline you're flying, but most websites show it as a drop down you can select Alaska Airlines then add your FF#.

You can also call customer service if you're unsure how to do it online. Or talk to an agent at check-in before they print your boarding pass to ensure your Alaska FF# is attached.

You should see it on the boarding pass. If you do not, you can follow up with customer service after the flight, just hold onto your documentation.

Obviously, doing it online prior to the flight is the least hassle
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Thank you, both.

I would like to fly ORD-NYC and pick up Alaska points in the process. I have read somewhere that

“As of January 1, 2018, Alaska Mileage Plan members will no longer earn Mileage Plan miles on domestic American Airlines flights that aren’t marketed by Alaska ... In other words, you won’t earn Alaska miles for any American flights booked directly with American.”

Yet, when I try to reserve a ticket directly on American, there’s a frequent flyer program dropdown list that includes Alaska. If I make such a reservation, will the Alaska points count towards MVP?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vanillabean
..I would like to fly ORD-NYC and pick up Alaska points in the process.

I have read somewhere that
“As of January 1, 2018, Alaska Mileage Plan members will no longer earn Mileage Plan miles on domestic American Airlines flights that aren’t marketed by Alaska ... In other words, you won’t earn Alaska miles for any American flights booked directly with American.”

Yet, when I try to reserve a ticket directly on American, there’s a frequent flyer program dropdown list that includes Alaska.
If I make such a reservation, will the Alaska points count towards MVP?
No.
AS is still in the drop down list as AS ff miles can be earning on AA international flights.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
No.
AS is still in the drop down list as AS ff miles can be earning on AA international flights.
So if I fly ORD-YYZ and YYZ-NYC on American, both will count towards Alaska MVP?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Whether or not a flight is considered international is determined on a segment basis.

If I booked SEA-LAX-HND on AA
SEA-LAX AA earns 0 miles.
LAX-HND AA earns 5487 miles.

ORD-YYZ-NYC would theoretically earn miles on both segments. But I doubt AA would sell that to you as a connecting itinerary.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So if I fly ORD-YYZ and YYZ-NYC on American, both will count towards Alaska MVP?
AA may not(will not?) sell you that on 1 ticket

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...ry-2018-a.html

earn AS miles on AA international itinerary with connection
allset2travel likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. I meant for ORD-YYZ and YYZ-NYC to be separate reservations. I take it then that Canada is considered international by American in this context?

And if American offers ORD-YYZ as a two segment ORD-LGA-YYZ, ORD-LGA will default to American points or simply give me no points at all?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

..And if American offers ORD-YYZ as a two segment ORD-LGA-YYZ, ORD-LGA will default to American points or simply give me no points at all?
Any flight does not default to a ffp. Credits to the ffp you enter in the reservation.
With AS ffn in the reservation ORD-LGA will earn nil AS ff miles.
If you do not enter a ffn, you could retro credit to AS & AA for the appropriate segments.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Would ORD-YYZ & YYZ-NYC be a violation of cabotage regulations?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by DrAlex
Yes, if sold as a single ticket.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by jinglish
Yes, if sold as a single ticket.
And what if sold as two separate tickets (with minimal connection time) on a single carrier? Wouldn't this also violate the laws, but perhaps go unnoticed?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrAlex
If operated by a US carrier... why?

I thought that cabotage applied for a flight between two points in a single country by a carrier from a different country. In this case, the carrier is AA, and the start and end points are in the US.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If operated by a US carrier... why?

I thought that cabotage applied for a flight between two points in a single country by a carrier from a different country. In this case, the carrier is AA, and the start and end points are in the US.
It's still a form of cabotage (called indirect cabotage) and is not permitted. See definitions here --
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedoms_of_the_air

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.