Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Priority Pass and Denied Entry at Alaska Lounges Because of Space - 2019 and Later

Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Alaska Lounges in ANC, LAX, PDX, and JFK accept Priority Pass (PP) on space-available (limited) basis.

Alaska Lounges in SEA no longer accept Priority Pass. (AS Lounges in SEA Leaving Priority Pass (9/1/2018)

2018 and earlier version of this thread.
Print Wikipost

Priority Pass and Denied Entry at Alaska Lounges Because of Space - 2019 and Later

Old Mar 24, 2019, 4:40 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
LAX: Thursday 21MAR, no PP rejection sign posted at 8:30 am. First morning flight I've not seen it (but I usually fly out on Friday).

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Mar 24, 2019 at 4:42 am Reason: add info
Old Mar 24, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
LAX: Thursday 21MAR, no PP rejection sign posted at 8:30 am. First morning flight I've not seen it (but I usually fly out on Friday).
Honestly, I can't believe I'm saying this but I think we'll see the sign up less and less throughout the year possibly for a variety of reasons...
#1 ) PP folks have been so consistently denied access that many don't even bother to go check anymore
#2 ) More restaurant options like Caper's at PDX funnel away potential PP users
#3 ) Enough time has passed since PP users were driven away in droves that AS is finally beginning to see that less PP card swipes = less $$
#4 ) PP members who signed up for one-year credit card promotions are cancelling their cards and dropping out of the PP pool
BearX220 and fti like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: AS Gold (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
I don't think you should be denied entry if you also have the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature card!
worldwidedreamer and pcoll like this.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: AS Gold, AS Lounge, Enterprise Gold
The Visa signature is $25 per person per visit to the lounge, doesnt have anything to do with PP
Old Apr 4, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: AS Gold, AS Lounge, Enterprise Gold
Smile LAX sign out and in.

LAX sign is up alot to keep the lounge from getting crowded, rightfully so the lounge is small. Emailed Alaska to see if LAX AL plans on ending their relationship with PP, they replied saying not in the near future, but do their best to make it a good experience for members. There's PP members always camping outside the lounge even when its empty so that means that they are just doing PP for extra revenue for the LAX lease. $300 a year with MVP Gold is cheap actually, wouldn't mind a price increase if they did away with PP but i'll take them micro managing the sign cause it doesn't affect me (access wise) really hate an overcrowded lounge with pax who got in for practically free.

Last edited by markandsmoke; Apr 4, 2019 at 6:51 pm Reason: misspelling
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by BOB W
ANC has a bunch of redeyes at that time and it tends to fill up until close to closing.
Even when its not full, I'm being denied access. Tried to get in at 12:15 AM Tuesday morning (ANC).

Denied. Lots of empty seats, but apparently they needed to "get caught up" as "a lot of people just left" for other flights.

Lounge closes at 1 AM with last call at 12:30 AM. They suggested I come back in 10-15 minutes. I didn't bother.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 5:18 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by markandsmoke
There's PP members always camping outside the lounge even when its empty...
If by "camping out", you mean standing in front of the elevator, studying the sign, and debating whether to go upstairs, feign ignorance and attempt to talk their way in...then, yes.

...so that means that they are just doing PP for extra revenue...
Just like every other airline/contract lounge or restaurant that participates in PP. If you're in business, you look for ways to increase revenue.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: AS
The Visa signature is $25 per person per visit to the lounge, doesnt have anything to do with PP
This promotion is good until May 31, 2019..
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:06 am

No sign at LAX at 7:40a. I took the elevator up and was met by a staff member with sign in hand. She hopped into the elevator and they let me in.

Close call! Happy to have a place to chill after flying CHC-SYD-LAX on time only to discover my last leg on UA to be delayed 3.5 hours.
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 10:45 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by beckoa
Even when its not full, I'm being denied access. Tried to get in at 12:15 AM Tuesday morning (ANC).

Denied. Lots of empty seats, but apparently they needed to "get caught up" as "a lot of people just left" for other flights.

Lounge closes at 1 AM with last call at 12:30 AM. They suggested I come back in 10-15 minutes. I didn't bother.
I saw this recently at ANC. Told to come back in 15 minutes and the sign was gone at that time. Nice break before the long journey ahead.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
data points for 5am entry at ANC?

Originally Posted by beckoa

Any data for 5am>6am entry at ANC? Will be taking an early flt (6am) this summer and wondering if the sign might "be out" or not.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: DL PM, New Sagaya
Looks like Capers at the D gates in PDX is no longer taking Priority Pass. (I know tangential to thread but Capers is a go to for those denied AL access.)

Last edited by dayone; Apr 15, 2019 at 9:45 am Reason: Edited in error.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:45 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by williwaw
Looks like Capers at the D gates in PDX is no longer taking Priority Pass. (I know tangential to thread but Capers is a go to for those denied AL access.)
It's no longer listed on the PP website.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by williwaw
Wow...that must have been recent since I just stopped there last Friday (4/12)....I'll miss my bags of free coffee, but I can't say I'm surprised....this was more of a grocery store than a restaurant and I'm sure a lot of folks stopped at both C and D Caper's since they count as separate "lounges", but obviously it was not sustainable.

Getting back to the topic of this thread....the sign was out at the PDX AL on Friday morning around 6am. I never expect to have access since the sign is almost always out (not *quite* as bad as LAX), but I wanted to see how the renovations looked...oh well, wasn't meant to be this time.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, New Sagaya
The Lounge was packed this morning. Sign was out at 6:45.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.