Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

An Open Letter to the Sick Passenger on My AS Flight

Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE

Dear Sir,

On yesterday's flight, you were clearly unwell and had a severe cold. You were coughing and sneezing loudly and often throughout the flight from board to de-icing, to takeoff, touchdown, and disembarkation.

Yes, I get it -- everyone gets sick from time to time. But your repeated open-mouthed coughing was really not appreciated by the rest of the first class cabin. You did not seem to make any attempt to cover your mouth with a paper or cloth napkin, both of which were available from the flight attendant. You may very well have infected a dozen other passengers in the cabin. The passenger seated in front of you was forced to wear a respiratory mask because you were not considerate enough to wear one yourself.

If you are unable to postpone your travels, do at least try not to spread germs to your fellow passengers.

Last edited by dayone; Feb 4, 2019 at 3:24 pm Reason: Remove specific info.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Time to carry those drug store face masks? !
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:31 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
...But your repeated open-mouthed coughing was really not appreciated by the rest of the first class cabin...
On the plus side, if theyd been sitting in Y, they would have exposed 90% more passengers due to the higher seating density!
knit-in and glennhaak like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: AS
I always carry several resp masks in my carry on bag. Have used it once on myself but never had to "insist" that a fellow passenger might benefit from one. But, that could change . Flying tomorrow and will place them on top. Also, carry wipes that I use to wipe down seat, tray table, arm rests etc. after boarding each flight. It would be nice of others would be considerate of other travelers.
PaperGlider and HMPS like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
Or offer them a Comtrex, cough drop or other something to help them .... sometimes such illness doesn't really raise its ugly head until one is on the way to the airport and then caught without....happens to be most considerate. Also, I cough due to dry air on aircraft...I always cover my mouth and I'm not emitting cold/flu germs but I am coughing...a cough drop helps and I carry them handy for during flight. Hope the person feels better and hope they realize all those lessons back in grade K were meant to last a lifetime!
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Someone in the FIRST CLASS CABIN was ill?! I don't believe it, definitely an MVP upgrade because 5%ers can afford flu shots.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K
The passenger seated in front of you was forced to wear a respiratory mask because you were not considerate enough to wear one yourself.
That passenger in front of him happened to have a mask, or did he ask FA for one?
If latter, then the FA really should've instead (or additionally) asked the sick person to wear it.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
I now carry a mask in my kit.

Will common decency in the US eventually change to include that people who are sick wear the masks?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by PaperGlider
I now carry a mask in my kit.

Will common decency in the US eventually change to include that people who are sick wear the masks?
Nooooooo. That's pretty low on the list. We can't even figure out "vaccinate your children" or "stay right except to pass".
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Gig103
Someone in the FIRST CLASS CABIN was ill?! I don't believe it, definitely an MVP upgrade because 5%ers can afford flu shots.
Flu shots are widely available for free or extremely low cost. However, they don't protect you from all respiratory illness, and not necessarily from all strains of flu.

(I do realize you were joking.... )
Global321 and chitink like this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 11:37 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
And nothing protects you from the common cold.....like the better mousetrap, there's a fortune to be made!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
I sat down in an exit row on a WN flight a couple of weeks ago and as soon as I sat down I hear a guy a couple of rows up hacking away. Sat for a moment to decide whether I wanted to give up the seat on a 4 hour flight or roll the dice. I decided to move back 10 rows and ended up with a row by myself. Shortly after I sat down a young woman sits in the aisle seat opposite me with a mask on. At first I thought I had gone from bad to worse, but she never coughed the whole flight so I assume she was wearing it for preventative reasons. i spent the next 4 hours wondering if I should start using a mask when I fly as I often come back from trips with some type of cold or respiratory issue.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
This is 100%, no, 200% on the airlines. When I'm sick I would love to change my flight to a later date. The airlines make that impossible by charging $100-$200 change fees and a difference in the airfare costs. Get rid of those hurdles and now it's on the individuals still traveling.
VonS, flatdawgs and nancypants like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
I always bring multiple hospital face masks in my personal carry on. As a former lowly AA platinum, I did not get upgrades on 90% of my flights (typically hub to hub), so I'm sitting in sardines class and there is always at least one or more people coughing and sneezing into me. I wear the masks myself and douse myself with as much hand sanitizer as I can bring on board. Would it be common courtesy for the person that is sick to wear a mask as to contain his/her own germ-infested projectiles? Absolutely. But I have yet to see one person do it, so therefore, I take my own precautions.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:23 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by DCP2016
This is 100%, no, 200% on the airlines. When I'm sick I would love to change my flight to a later date. The airlines make that impossible by charging $100-$200 change fees and a difference in the airfare costs. Get rid of those hurdles and now it's on the individuals still traveling.
Airlines do intercede and ask you to fly later but only when they think you are sick enough that you might become an emergency in mid flight and god forbid cause an expensive diversion !
I wonder if a flight is full, would they give you an option to fly later if you are stuck with a sick person ? Would a PC believer object to such request ? !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.