SeaTac in the snow - 2019 edition

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 11, 19, 1:57 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: missamo80
Wiki Link
Current travel advisories

Travel to/from: SEA or PDX
Tickets purchased on/before: February 12, 2019
Original travel dates: February 8 - 12, 2019
New travel dates: February 11, 2019 - February 18, 2019

(Wiki last updated 2019-02-11 9:00pm PST)
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 11, 19, 7:43 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
February 12th now valid for a waiver.
Old Feb 11, 19, 8:27 pm

393 flights CXLD so far and multiple reports of AS PAX stranded for over 3 hrs on the plane.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ASA1424
Old Feb 11, 19, 9:02 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by owflyer View Post
393 flights CXLD so far and multiple reports of AS PAX stranded for over 3 hrs on the plane.

Unfortunately their SEA OPS are a total cluster right now with multiple diversions to MCI/BIL/DEN/SLC/BOI, etc as planes were sent to SEA and then unable to land and had to turn around to find alternate airports.
Old Feb 11, 19, 9:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Originally Posted by owflyer View Post

Is that over 3 hours buttoned up or doing the periodic open door at jet bridge to comply with the letter of the tarmac delay regulation and AS' customer care commitment.
Old Feb 11, 19, 9:13 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
Is that over 3 hours buttoned up or doing the periodic open door at jet bridge to comply with the letter of the tarmac delay regulation and AS' customer care commitment.
There are many reports on twitter of flights delayed 4+ hours with the door open so they can avoid the 3 hour rule with people claiming they are being held hostage The rolling delays and lack of planning must make it very difficult for the front line employees in situations like this.
Old Feb 11, 19, 9:55 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
SEA-PDX flight 646 tonight, wow. I've been watching it because we're on the same flight tomorrow and those passengers have had a rough go. Flight is now 4 hrs 22 minutes late departing and has been "taxiing for takeoff" for the last 52 minutes.

Anyone here who was on that flight?
Old Feb 11, 19, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area) and near LAX (El Segundo CA)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
“taxiing for takeoff” starts at pushback, so they’re likely in the parade to the de-icing pad
Old Feb 11, 19, 10:04 pm

Crews and Aircraft out of position, this will impact tomorrow and ripple through Thursday assuming perfect weather.
Old Feb 11, 19, 10:38 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
No, it is not always doing the periodic open door.
Just got home from a flight that landed at 4:30pm.
We were held on tarmac until 7:20 then rolled to gate at 7:30. Really felt bad for FA's who did the turnaround and had been working since 5:30am.
Wonder if AS will put forth any miles as a CS gesture?? Many of us just glad to hit the gate, finally.
It took longer to get to gate and home than the flight .

Last edited by pcoll; Feb 11, 19 at 10:46 pm
Old Feb 12, 19, 2:48 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Currently stuck overnight in DFW because last night’s DFW-SEA canceled. They moved us to this morning’s 6:15am flight... which now shows a delay and a new departure time of 1:21pm.

quick question: do they still expect you to check bags based on original scheduled departure time? That would mean leaving airport hotel at 4:30am (in less than one hour) and sittiing around at airport for 7+ hrs, vs. staying in the room longer, having free breakfast here. I’d obviously be monitoring the departure time for further updates.

texted 82008 but no reply. Probably overloaded. Called reservations - 3 hr wait.

edit: AS texted me back after a while and confirmed planning to arrive at airport based on new departure time was safe, but to keep checking.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Feb 12, 19 at 5:07 am
Old Feb 12, 19, 6:53 am

Programs: AS 75K,AA Plat, UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott Tit, Hyatt Glb, Accors Plt, Natl Exec, Avis PC
I was scheduled on yesterday's AS 642 SEA-DFW at 12:25pm. In the morning I saw the snow bearing down on the area earlier than expected. I thought maybe I could just get out before it got bad but the radar said otherwise. I knew that if I did not get off the ground I may not even be able to get back home and be stuck at the airport for the next 24 hours or more. My wife implored me to not go... I took her advice and scrubbed my week's trip and work remotely. Watching the flight after the fact, I saw that it was able to "depart" on time so I told her, "ah... I could have made it out after all!". The warm air was coming in rapidly and it did not look like the snow was sticking to the roads so much so I figured the airport was fine Didn't think much about it again until the evening when we decided to see how the AS and AA DFW flights did. We noticed AS 642 showed a return to SEA about an hour after departure... huh?! Also an AA flight the same... then AS 642 took off later in the evening. So we saw that they all got stuck in the parade to get out. I also just read that Seatac got 2 inches of snow in one hour in the afternoon. Wow... I would have been pretty peeved to almost make it out and then sent back. AS 642 can consider themselves lucky they got into DFW after midnight... many flights never got out.
Old Feb 12, 19, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area) and near LAX (El Segundo CA)
surprised no one has mentioned this ...

yesterday’s originally scheduled PAE-LAS inaugural would have been totally hosed ...
DrAlex likes this.
Old Feb 12, 19, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
yesterday’s originally scheduled PAE-LAS inaugural would have been totally hosed ...
Well, I was planning on being in Hawaii anyway- but you're right. PAE could have been quite the cluster. But... with Boeing up there- imagine they'd have the resources to keep moving a bit more. Plus not near the flight schedule/demand on the airport. So think they might have been ok if the crews made it in.
Old Feb 12, 19, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Well, I was planning on being in Hawaii anyway- but you're right. PAE could have been quite the cluster. But... with Boeing up there- imagine they'd have the resources to keep moving a bit more. Plus not near the flight schedule/demand on the airport. So think they might have been ok if the crews made it in.
that of course presumes the crew's duty day didn't include ferrying the jet up from SEA at 0800 for the scheduled 1000 departure
Old Feb 12, 19, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by dmodemd View Post
I was scheduled on yesterday's AS 642 SEA-DFW at 12:25pm. In the morning I saw the snow bearing down on the area earlier than expected. I thought maybe I could just get out before it got bad but the radar said otherwise. I knew that if I did not get off the ground I may not even be able to get back home and be stuck at the airport for the next 24 hours or more. My wife implored me to not go... I took her advice and scrubbed my week's trip and work remotely. Watching the flight after the fact, I saw that it was able to "depart" on time so I told her, "ah... I could have made it out after all!". The warm air was coming in rapidly and it did not look like the snow was sticking to the roads so much so I figured the airport was fine Didn't think much about it again until the evening when we decided to see how the AS and AA DFW flights did. We noticed AS 642 showed a return to SEA about an hour after departure... huh?! Also an AA flight the same... then AS 642 took off later in the evening. So we saw that they all got stuck in the parade to get out. I also just read that Seatac got 2 inches of snow in one hour in the afternoon. Wow... I would have been pretty peeved to almost make it out and then sent back.

AS 642 can consider themselves lucky they got into DFW after midnight... many flights never got out.
i think I was on the return flight for that crew, which operated with a 7+ hr delay due to their late arrival into DFW (for me it was actually a 20 hr delay since I was originally booked on a late afternoon flight the day before that canceled, forcing an overnight).

What was supposed to be a breakfast flight turned into a 7-11 catered lunch flight.

And it really turned out to be a bit of a mess of a flight. After departing from the gate and nearly reaching our runway at DFW we returned back to the gate where they removed a sick passenger. Then when we arrived at SEA our C gate was occupied and we sat around for around 45 minutes before heading to the N Gates.

Search this Thread