Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: missamo80
Current travel advisories

Travel to/from: SEA or PDX
Tickets purchased on/before: February 12, 2019
Original travel dates: February 8 - 12, 2019
New travel dates: February 11, 2019 - February 18, 2019

(Wiki last updated 2019-02-11 9:00pm PST)
Print Wikipost

SeaTac in the snow - 2019 edition

Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
@Xrayman: Your return is not in the affected dates? Might be worth a plea to the CSR gods....
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:30 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by williwaw
@Xrayman: Your return is not in the affected dates? Might be worth a plea to the CSR gods....
Return date is for Saturday February 16. I think this is in the window but it won’t let me do it regardless of date for a return. Perhaps will call them tomorrow or just suck it up.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
@Xrayman: Ah, the original return trip has to be between 2/8-2/11 to qualify (return leg). That said, a nicely reasoned call might work with Alaska.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Fortunately, it seems like today/tomorrow's snow - which was predicted to be the worst - may fizzle into rain instead after just a couple of inches. If so, and if it melts the snow instead of freezing everything into an ice skating rink, that's an ideal situation for travel - should be the end of the snow related nonsense for a while.

There's still some uncertainty in the forecast, though... it's going to hinge on a few degrees +/- in each direction.

Delta updated their weather waiver to include the 12th a few minutes ago. AS still stops today, and I'm not sure if AS will follow suit - they may wait to see what the storm is shaping up as before extending their own waiver...
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BenA
Fortunately, it seems like today/tomorrow's snow - which was predicted to be the worst - may fizzle into rain instead after just a couple of inches. If so, and if it melts the snow instead of freezing everything into an ice skating rink, that's an ideal situation for travel - should be the end of the snow related nonsense for a while.

There's still some uncertainty in the forecast, though... it's going to hinge on a few degrees +/- in each direction.

Delta updated their weather waiver to include the 12th a few minutes ago. AS still stops today, and I'm not sure if AS will follow suit - they may wait to see what the storm is shaping up as before extending their own waiver...
I too was optimistic...until about 10 minutes ago... it is now snowing quite heavily and starting stick.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
Approaching 300 CXLD flights and rising, long deicing times too.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Just curious, is this normal weather for SEA/PDX region at this time of the year?
In the Bay Area, three days ago we had the local hills/mountains covered with the white stuff!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Just curious, is this normal weather for SEA/PDX region at this time of the year?
No. Here in SEA, we got more snow in the past week than we usually get in a whole year.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
In the Bay Area, three days ago we had the local hills/mountains covered with the white stuff!
Here in PDX, we do sometimes get a little snow in February, but it's pretty much not gonna happen after this month. The 14"+ of snow that was predicted (snowmaggedon) for this week here in PDX never materialized....let's just say that there are a lot of students (and teachers) who were pretty sure they would be enjoying a snow day today that never happened...not even a 2 hour delay This was one of the biggest weather forecasting fails I've seen in a long time...just a few days ago there were huge lines at groceries stores with people (like me) stocking up due to the dramatic forecast predictions from last week.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:28 pm

This is highly unusual. Usually if we have a snow storm the temps warm up soon after and only the snow only sticks around for a day or two. This barage of storms coming one right after another is the first time I remember something like this is my 30 years living here. We have had bigger one day snowfalls....but the lingering cold and compiling of snow is different. Usually in February ( rainy and cool) I get out several times during the month with warm- enough temperatures to go out and garden.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
This was one of the biggest weather forecasting fails I've seen in a long time...just a few days ago there were huge lines at groceries stores with people (like me) stocking up due to the dramatic forecast predictions from last week.
I use an app called dark sky and they have been spot on. In fact I would even give credit to our local TV weather men ( and women) who have had the Seattle storms pretty well foretasted this past week.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Here in PDX, we do sometimes get a little snow in February, but it's pretty much not gonna happen after this month. The 14"+ of snow that was predicted (snowmaggedon) for this week here in PDX never materialized....let's just say that there are a lot of students (and teachers) who were pretty sure they would be enjoying a snow day today that never happened...not even a 2 hour delay This was one of the biggest weather forecasting fails I've seen in a long time...just a few days ago there were huge lines at groceries stores with people (like me) stocking up due to the dramatic forecast predictions from last week.
It's amazing how quickly things change. As of Friday PDX was expecting a potential significant snow storm Friday/Saturday with snow possibilities and cold all the way out the 10 day forecast. That storm was a bust for most of the city and now it's all rain and 40s. It's really hard to get cold and snow in Portland and even when models are forecasting it, it's almost always probably not going to happen.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
It's amazing how quickly things change. ... even when models are forecasting it, it's almost always probably not going to happen.
yeah, that pretty well says it all ...
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WN A-List
Several diversions to PDX in the last 2 hrs.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by williwaw
@Xrayman: Ah, the original return trip has to be between 2/8-2/11 to qualify (return leg). That said, a nicely reasoned call might work with Alaska.
Lucky I just sucked it up and paid 3x my original flight for today Monday February 11 and left Sunday February 10. They cancelled my original flight as I had anticipated but only after 3 hours of limbo.

Extra day to just binge Netflix by getting in a day early as opposed to stress of back and forth on laptop in airport.

Just wish AS would have allowed me to move my flight up a day earlier as I had asked on Saturday night.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.