Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: missamo80
Current travel advisories

Travel to/from: SEA or PDX
Tickets purchased on/before: February 12, 2019
Original travel dates: February 8 - 12, 2019
New travel dates: February 11, 2019 - February 18, 2019

(Wiki last updated 2019-02-11 9:00pm PST)
Print Wikipost

SeaTac in the snow - 2019 edition

Old Feb 4, 2019, 1:57 pm
vgc

Flew a mileage run to Boston and back. Left Seattle last night, got back this morning. Both flights were only slightly delayed (<1 hour). Driving back home from the airport was a pain though.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
AS16 to MCO just left... only 3 hours late.

The return looks
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Flight #170 12:15 pm SEA to MKE cancelled this morning at 7:30 am.

Funny i I called the phone lines to see if they would rebook my flight for tomorrow at 6:00 am and they told me ALL Alaska flights were looking good for arrivals and departures. I was a bit surprised and took it on face value. Started to get up and prepare to give myself extra drive time.

Lucky I didn稚 leave before getting the text. Called them back at 7:35 am and rebooked easily. Wish they would have just done this an hour earlier so I didn稚 have to get out of my warm PJs

Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:47 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Originally Posted by beckoa
AS16 to MCO just left... only 3 hours late.

The return looks
I'm on the MCO flight tonight. Hope it makes it out!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
And at 2pm the delay is up to 3:37!
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG MR Platinum Prem
The 7:40 OAK-SEA flight last night was cancelled at around 3PM in the afternoon so they'd have a plane down here for the early morning OAK-SEA run since there were expecting that to be cancelled. I was rebooked onto 12:50 departure today (after 20 min hold time on phone...) and while the inbound finally showed up a little after 2 we're still not scheduled to leave until 3:50.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by dmodemd
I am on the AA flight to DFW at 3:39pm (had to switch flights from AS because alternate flight was too much $). Inbound on time. Hopefully things will clear out a bit by then. I am not sure what the de-icing rules would be. If precip has stopped for a preceding amount of time and aircraft is clear of snow/ice, is de-icing needed? I look forward to getting to Dallas and 75-80 degree weather right now.
If there is no snow/ice on the airplane and it is not currently snowing, there would be no reason to deice. However if it is snowing deice will be needed and obviously, if there is snow/ice on the airplane, deice will be needed (other than minor amounts of frost which is permissable). Note that the airplane can land, have it not be snowing and still need deicing because it picked up ice in it's descent through the clouds. Usually only an issue if the temp at the surface is 0c or below. Finally, fog and low temperatures may also require deice. And lastly to clarify the difference, DEICE fluid if orange and is used to remove existing contaminants from the airplane. ANTIICE Fluid is green and is used to prevent contaminants from adhering to the airplane. If an airplane needs Anti ice, it MUST always be Deiced (even if nothing is currently on it). However if there is nothing falling from the sky, an airplane can be only Deiced and does not have to be anti iced. If Anti ice is needed, the whole process will usually take twice as long since two coats are needed.
flatdawgs likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
SEA-DTW delayed 20 minutes initially. Freeway traffic was brutal so I was cutting it close. Got to the gate after boarding was supposed to start and there we stood. Got on the plane, pulled back from the gate to de-ice and something happened with the APU. Back to the gate, wait for the mechanical crew, verify all is well (no APU though) and finally depart 2:15 after schedule. Not horrible considering some of what I am reading. Definitely a challenging travel day.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: AS MM, MVPGold100k, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Sitting in the AL at LAX, my 6:40pm LAX SEA flight is delayed, now hoping to depart at 8:08pm (arriving 11:03pm) which will mean an icy trip home, at least I hope to get home. Pondering taking Uber/LYFT or Taxi home vs just staying at an airport hotel, not sure I trust Uber/LYFT in the snow in Seattle
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:50 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by T2A
I'm on the MCO flight tonight. Hope it makes it out!

looks like AS 19 is toast...
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:57 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
almost 3 hours to get de-iced.. I thought the POS, err Port of Seattle, was working on "fixing" things in Seatac so this doesn't happen...

2AS16ォ
0016/04FEB - FLIGHT ROUTING
SCHEDULE ACTUAL DELAY/CANCEL ARRIVAL
CITY ARRV DEPT ARRV DEPT CODES GATE
SEA ORIG 820A 957A 0W
MCO 445P TERM

0W - WEATHER

3SEA/ETD0935A 1.15L DUE WEATHER *1124
5SEA/FLT DE-ICING..UPDATE 1205P. *1344*FCF8PC
4SEA/OUT0957A 1.37L OFF1247P *1449‡
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
How are the ROADS getting to/from the airport? I知 seeing reports of icy roads and temps across the metro region forecast to stay well below freezing for days. Im currently in Mexico and have an AS flight home scheduled for Tuesday night arrival. I知 guessing flights should be more or less on time by then, I知 more worried about the drive home at 10 pm Tuesday...hoping I can get my car out of the off-airport parking lot, assuming the highways and major arterial will be ok...
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:49 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
I知 seeing reports of icy roads and temps across the metro region forecast to stay well below freezing for days.
AccuWeather forecasts the temp will be above freezing by 11 am. on Tuesday.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:00 pm

SEA had a perfect storm this morning. Snow, low visibility, strong winds, and those winds were coming from the North. North flow always messes things up on days like today because it's not set up for low visibility approaches as well as south flow is. Alaska (including Horizon) canceled 200 flights today, and had an additional 270 delayed by 60+ minutes. It doesn't help that SEA has been on an FAA-imposed ground delay program that's been increasing in length since ~6am (initially flights were averaging 120ish minutes delayed, now ground delays are averaging 217 minutes), as well as multiple ground stops.

Originally Posted by nwflyboy
How are the ROADS getting to/from the airport? I知 seeing reports of icy roads and temps across the metro region forecast to stay well below freezing for days. Im currently in Mexico and have an AS flight home scheduled for Tuesday night arrival. I知 guessing flights should be more or less on time by then, I知 more worried about the drive home at 10 pm Tuesday...hoping I can get my car out of the off-airport parking lot, assuming the highways and major arterial will be ok...
I drove home from SeaTac a few hours ago. Major roads were decent, and airport roads weren't too bad. It's side streets that you need to worry about.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by ctporter
Sitting in the AL at LAX, my 6:40pm LAX SEA flight is delayed, now hoping to depart at 8:08pm (arriving 11:03pm) which will mean an icy trip home, at least I hope to get home. Pondering taking Uber/LYFT or Taxi home vs just staying at an airport hotel, not sure I trust Uber/LYFT in the snow in Seattle
Agree - need to get from my house (north of U village) to Light rail at Husky stadium for first train - I would rather walk the 1.5 miles that take a Lyft, but I'm getting a lift with my TH.

lala

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.