First Class upgrades on Saver(X)?

Old Feb 2, 19, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

First Class upgrades on Saver(X)?

I thought you couldn't be upgraded to First if you had purchased a Saver fare? Today, I was on a SEA-DAL flight and they upgraded me to First on a full flight.

Would GA just upgrade to make something work elsewhere in the bookings and not pay attention my fare class?

James
Old Feb 2, 19, 8:45 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Are you sure you were on a saver fare?

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...perience/saver

Elite members do not receive waived change fees, same-day confirmed, preferred seating, or upgrade benefits with Saver fares. On all fares including Saver, Elites receive bonus miles, baggage allowances, check-in benefits, and priority boarding. All other Saver fare rules and restrictions apply to MVP, MVP Gold, and MVP Gold 75k Mileage Plan members.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Feb 2, 19, 8:50 pm

Programs: AS more so than UA these days
It's hard to say without more information...

Fare class?
Elite status?
Was the flight oversold in Y to the point that they needed VDBs?

I also wonder if in that situation a non-elite booked in X would be offered the paid upgrade fee to F if U was open?
Old Feb 2, 19, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I purchased 5 Saver (X) flights to DAL during the cyber Monday sale. I have flown 4 of these so far and none of them got upgraded but after reading all the Saver(X) threads I expected not to be upgraded.

I have the "Saver Fare Reminder" and SAVER (X) on the flight summaries and it lists Coach (X) for the cabin assignment.

I am MVP, Don't know if it was oversold but they were finding seats for people on the waitlist so I don't think it was oversold but made me think maybe they bumped me up so a couple could sit in my 20A seat?

How would you tell if a flight is oversold or VDB situation occurred?

Also, I just remembered that just after they gave me my FC ticket, they asked for any military members past or present to come up as they had a "Gift" for them.....since I already got the upgrade I didn't feel the need to be greedy so just waited for boarding.

James
Old Feb 2, 19, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by TheotherJames View Post
Also, I just remembered that just after they gave me my FC ticket, they asked for any military members past or present to come up as they had a "Gift" for them.....since I already got the upgrade I didn't feel the need to be greedy so just waited for boarding.
That definitely sounds like an operational upgrade -- F was undersold and Y was oversold.

Might as well give it to any Elites, even if they were on a non-upgradeable fare.
AS737 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 19, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Thanks for the datapoint.

Figured this would happen eventually.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Feb 3, 19, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I figured it was something like that. I now wish I had paid attention to the GA board cause it will give the information of now many it can hold, how many it has booked.

James
Old Feb 3, 19, 10:50 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by TheotherJames View Post
I thought you couldn't be upgraded to First if you had purchased a Saver fare?
You can't upgrade a Saver fare. The GA can upgrade anyone for operational reasons.
Old Feb 3, 19, 3:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
I think this was operational...my wife and I are both MVPs so our two kids who we're flying SEA-FAT with us were not eligible for an elite (companion) upgrade, but all four of us were upgraded by the time we landed in SEA.