Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

PDX Concourse A Closure and Relocation of Horizon to the End of C

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PDX Concourse A Closure and Relocation of Horizon to the End of C

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL PM
The same way you get special screening with elite status or CLEAR, you would get to the front for screening if you arrived via MAX. And as posted earlier it would be to promote public transit. I think it’s a great idea. There are way too many people who sit in arrivals and departures waiting for people. If someone really wanted to work around the system they could bioard at cascade station by IKEA. I use the MAX to ride to Amtrack sometimes. I don’t use the MAX for arrival as the Super Saver shuttle is easier. Overall, I think I use public transit for maybe 6 of my 50 trips or so.
scfw0x0f likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't see what TSA has to do with Portland's local transit options or how the airport handles people waiting for other people.

I'm Precheck so wouldn't affect me either way. I use PDX about 8-10 times a year, using the MAX when I'm going to/from downtown and Lyft when I'm going to/from Beaverton. (Our office in Beaverton is not near any train station.)
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by jinglish
ONT has terminals 2 and 4 but no 1 or 3. The world is still spinning.
ONT is only 2 and 4 for a reason - they built in space for a 1 and 3.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by N1120A
ONT is only 2 and 4 for a reason - they built in space for a 1 and 3.
​​​​​​And an A-free PDX would exist for the reason that A had been demolished. That's beside the point.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
New restaurant & coffee announced for B. Screen Door seems a bit of a mismatch for B.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by rustykettel
New restaurant & coffee announced for B. Screen Door seems a bit of a mismatch for B.
Do I still get to wait in line outside for an hour? I feel like that is a key part of the experience.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Do I still get to wait in line outside for an hour? I feel like that is a key part of the experience.
That's easy, just remove your KTN from your reservation.
be_rettSEA and mfolf like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:29 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100K, DL DM, UA Gold, & Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Idaho Territory
The same way you get special screening with elite status or CLEAR, you would get to the front for screening if you arrived via MAX. And as posted earlier it would be to promote public transit. I think it’s a great idea.
A similar situation is in place at Boston Logan. If you take the Logan Express bus from Back Bay, you’re given a pass to get to the front of the security lines. Seems like a nice perk to support public transport.

https://www.boston.com/travel/travel...xpress-changes
scfw0x0f likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
Only an hour? They must not be as popular as they once were. Back in the day the line would be 2-3 hours; the host would come out periodically and take roll, and anyone missing would be removed from the list. People would go down the street to get coffee while they waited in line.

ObPDX: at least Hollywood Theatre’s outpost will now be on the way to the gate, instead of a detour.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: AS 100k, UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mthoodfan

A similar situation is in place at Boston Logan. If you take the Logan Express bus from Back Bay, you’re given a pass to get to the front of the security lines. Seems like a nice perk to support public transport.

https://www.boston.com/travel/travel...xpress-changes
Airport benefits exclusively for those who take public transit comes from a city-first mentality and is highly discriminatory to numerous Oregon residents who live outside of the core of major metro areas or who have to drive due to lack of public transit resources available.

Now I am in favor of benefits for convenience such as putting a TSA checkpoint by the PDX Max station, but make it available for everyone.
nookanaya likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 11:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
Originally Posted by DuckFlyer
Airport benefits exclusively for those who take public transit comes from a city-first mentality and is highly discriminatory to numerous Oregon residents who live outside of the core of major metro areas or who have to drive due to lack of public transit resources available.

Now I am in favor of benefits for convenience such as putting a TSA checkpoint by the PDX Max station, but make it available for everyone.
And even for those who do have access, it's not a compelling option. I can drive to PDX in 35-40 minutes most days, or spend 1h40 on the MAX with a change of trains somewhere along the way. If you happen to have a 6-7am departure there is not a train from Hillsboro that will get you there in time. You'd still have to go to Beaverton.
DuckFlyer and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by nookanaya
And even for those who do have access, it's not a compelling option. I can drive to PDX in 35-40 minutes most days, or spend 1h40 on the MAX with a change of trains somewhere along the way. If you happen to have a 6-7am departure there is not a train from Hillsboro that will get you there in time. You'd still have to go to Beaverton.
Even in Portland if you live in the wrong spot it can be ridiculous. I’m a 20 min drive from NE to PDX but transit takes over an hour. I wish it worked because I’d rather use transit. But unless you are on the Red Line it’s hard.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
A is now scheduled to close November.

https://www.oregonlive.com/commuting...emolished.html

Nothing added to the Travel Advisories or PDX page on the AS site so far.

And a new Port of Portland website for PDX construction:

https://pdxnext.com/

New main terminal coming in 2025.
Klrduks likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Looks good. It will be interesting to see how they will get everyone to ground level from the C gates for the Horizon flights.

I wish that they could have expanded the Alaska Lounge in all this construction, it seems to get more crowded every day.

Also wish they would bring CLEAR, as the TSA line gets really backed up at times.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jinglish
ONT has terminals 2 and 4 but no 1 or 3. The world is still spinning.
Honestly, that is not a great comparison. While I realize that ONT had more airlines in the past, there was never a need for two separate terminals there. One longer terminal would have been just fine and provided the travelers with more eating/shopping vendor options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.