Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Unable to upgrade to Premium seat on Corporate booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unable to upgrade to Premium seat on Corporate booking?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Often there are agreements where companies will get a kickback of hotel costs making the net cost less. (can also apply to airlines to a lesser degree)
I didn't know that, but I suppose that's a good reason for companies to keep this corporate travel thing going.
A corporate travel person explained to me that the reason for mandatory booking through corporate travel is so that the company is able to keep tabs on the employee's exact whereabout. I wasn't sure if that was a credible reason, but the financial kickback certainly makes sense.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by beckoa
Often there are agreements where companies will get a kickback of hotel costs making the net cost less. (can also apply to airlines to a lesser degree) Or there is a revenue guarantee for the property that your organization will book x amounts of rooms. If under, they are still paying for them.

Finally have had opportunities to use a corporate booking portal- they did give me the option to change hotels/rental car pickups; was not the most straight forward, but the options were there.

Each company I imagine uses different software though- so it's probably a YMMV situation.

Ultimately, I think this is something that AS and Concur will need to liaise on...will require escalation on both ends and someone committed to finding a resolution.
Originally Posted by evergrn
I didn't know that, but I suppose that's a good reason for companies to keep this corporate travel thing going.
A corporate travel person explained to me that the reason for mandatory booking through corporate travel is so that the company is able to keep tabs on the employee's exact whereabout. I wasn't sure if that was a credible reason, but the financial kickback certainly makes sense.
You've both added great input on this topic, but I do need to say that most in that industry would prefer the term commission over kickback, as that revenue source is calculated as part of the travel departments overall compensation to offset the labor costs (whether implants, or remote) and a significant factor in those kind of complex contracts.
evergrn likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That is way down on the list of reasons. Most often, the reasons for using a corporate TA and and overlay compliance software such as Concur has to do not just with discounts and rebates, but also with the fact that the typical corporate TA integrates with its client's back office accounting system. Thus, fewer people needed in finance to review and input data. It should all be seamless.

While it is always possible that there are occasions when one can get a better deal through some oddball website, anyone who has looked at managing a significant travel budget knows that the savings come from keeping things simple.

As to OP's specific problem, one thing which a growing number of employers do is to permit employees to keep a personal card on file with the TA. The TA lists the permitted fare basis and dollar amount and charges that to the corporate account, while the balance is charged to the employee's personal account and the ticket is issued just once. This isn't to get around AS' poor IT, but also to make things simpler.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:04 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
most in that industry would prefer the term commission over kickback, as that revenue source is calculated as part of the travel departments overall compensation to offset the labor costs (whether implants, or remote) and a significant factor in those kind of complex contracts.
I've seen it referred to as a rebate.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 6:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by dayone
It is a rebate, not a kickback. The former is a sum returned to the customer, e.g., the employer, when it meets certain thresholds. The latter is an unlawful payment to a third-party such as a CFO or travel manager in return for steering business.

Rebates are a not merely legal, but a perfectly ethical and good way to do business. They merely cause some confusion among people in an organization who are not part of the finance team and thus have no idea what the real costs are of their own travel, leading them to gleefully point to minor savings they think they could have achieved, when they can't.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
It's called "duty of care" and knowing where your employees are when they are traveling for work is indeed a responsibility/liability that companies take seriously
Old Feb 4, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by dayone
Same. On the hotel side, that $15 difference in rate can also commonly be the difference between a commissionable and a non-commissionable rate, and those funds go towards the rebate a company receives.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Apparently I used the wrong terminology

Yes, AS and Concur should figure this out ^
evergrn likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
As to OP's specific problem, one thing which a growing number of employers do is to permit employees to keep a personal card on file with the TA. The TA lists the permitted fare basis and dollar amount and charges that to the corporate account, while the balance is charged to the employee's personal account and the ticket is issued just once. This isn't to get around AS' poor IT, but also to make things simpler.
I don't know if I'd be comfortable keeping my credit card info on file with my employer (our corporate travel is part of our company). Moreover I don't think that would change my inability to purchase Premium seat upgrade on AS, because I'd still have to book through the same corporate booking portal... unless they changed the portal so that it gave us the ability to purchase a la carte options on their portal (eg, Premium/E+ upgrade, priority boarding, checked bags). But I just don't see that level of sophistication coming to fruition anytime soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.