Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Stingy About Waiving Cancellation/Change Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Stingy About Waiving Cancellation/Change Fees

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by jinglish
Status doesn't come close to telling the whole story. The 75K who only buys coach tickets (or travels mainly on partner airlines) and sneaks through to requalification through transcon mileage runs on R fares is going to show up differently in internal metrics than the one who's booking F at the last minute.
so your preference for AS is to convert their business model to a spend based status system and away from the miles flown and or segments flown similar to Delta.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Xrayman

so your preference for AS is to convert their business model to a spend based status system and away from the miles flown and or segments flown similar to Delta.
That is... not what I was talking about at all?
thegingninj and icelandman2 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I believe Delta has a different model in that they want to be great at customer service recovery. I flew delta only a handful of times (not counting miles redemptions) on discounted coach short-hauls and they waved award change fees three times and also awarded me 9K miles (enough for another domestic flight) miles twice for genuine complaints.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
I believe Delta has a different model in that they want to be great at customer service recovery. I flew delta only a handful of times (not counting miles redemptions) on discounted coach short-hauls and they waved award change fees three times and also awarded me 9K miles (enough for another domestic flight) miles twice for genuine complaints.
So... go fly Delta?

Apparently you believe that you are some great high-valued customer who should receive fee waivers. AS seems to disagree. You're not happy with their service and they don't value you as a customer. So, I guess that's the end of that. I'm not sure what you're hoping to accomplish here.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
I think your paradigm here is WAY off base and you got REALLY, REALLY lucky with DL. They are not some sort of unicorn in a field of ponies. AS is consistently rated higher in customer satisfaction than DL (11 years of top CS in traditional carriers), but as always, YMMV...
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
you can forward this to Alaska Airline to voice out your genuine complaint (for being so stingy), and they may award you more miles and waive the change fee!
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by pbd456
you can forward this to Alaska Airline to voice out your genuine complaint (for being so stingy), and they may award you more miles and waive the change fee!
I would bet he has already done so.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I'm at a loss to find any meaningful value to this discussion. OP is coming off so entitled I'm not entirely sure if he's just trolling us?
Mauibaby2008 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by nearlysober
OP is coming off so entitled I'm not entirely sure if he's just trolling us?
If you spend enough time on FT, this level of entitlement ceases to shock.
eponymous_coward and DrAlex like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm at a loss to find any meaningful value to this discussion. OP is coming off so entitled I'm not entirely sure if he's just trolling us?
My money's on trolling
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
My money's on trolling
Disagree - have seen far too many people complain bitterly about why they hate XXX airline - usually either for something the airline has no control over, or because the airline CHARGED THEM HUNDREDS MORE FOR THE SAME FLIGHT A DAY EARLIER????!1111! or similar. I don't even necessarily think it comes from a pure place of entitlement: most folks don't understand how the industry works/how tickets are priced, and think of themselves as paying for transport from A to B as opposed to a specific product depending on what, when, and what routing they purchase.
jinglish likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by icelandman2
Disagree - have seen far too many people complain bitterly about why they hate XXX airline - usually either for something the airline has no control over, or because the airline CHARGED THEM HUNDREDS MORE FOR THE SAME FLIGHT A DAY EARLIER????!1111! or similar. I don't even necessarily think it comes from a pure place of entitlement: most folks don't understand how the industry works/how tickets are priced, and think of themselves as paying for transport from A to B as opposed to a specific product depending on what, when, and what routing they purchase.
Well, OP is not a n00b, given that they're heavily into MS (apparently). But it's like "well, DL treats you nicely on those cash tickets you actually pay for, and Alaska doesn't seem inclined to do waivers 'n favors on your CX/JL/whatever partner J/F awards, so go manufacture more SkyPesos and buy less MP miles I guess". AS is deliberately and actively making efforts to make MS'ing and mile purchases more difficult from what I can tell (BofA is cracked down, they're making miles buying less easy), so I don't get that the sort of business relationship the OP offers is considered particularly valued custom; AS seems pretty focused on "airline" not "get lots of $ from MS'ers and mile buyers who will soak up all the excess partner F/J inventory" (and there is an obvious free rider problem with MS, as demonstrated by how fast things like Vanilla/Bluebird got killed off- airlines might make money from banks buying miles but banks surely do not like giving away profit margin to MSers, and the airlines value their relationships with banks).

So go with the airline that treats you better, and realize that you're not a great customer if your model is "I scheme to pay as little as possible and use any trick in the book to extract value from the business relationship". Those are the customers whom businesses often actively try to fire...
Snowdevil, jinglish and DrAlex like this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Feb 6, 2019 at 6:32 pm
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
I just wanted to collect datapoints about whether others are successful at having cancellation/change fees waived by Alaska without elite status and see if there is a pattern.

And also, perhaps being disillusioned in hoping to attract Alaska's marketing to negative perception about their cancellation policy and about the elimination of the free pre-60 days cancellation.

Last edited by MasterGeek; Feb 6, 2019 at 8:27 pm
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by DrAlex
I think your paradigm here is WAY off base and you got REALLY, REALLY lucky with DL. They are not some sort of unicorn in a field of ponies. AS is consistently rated higher in customer satisfaction than DL (11 years of top CS in traditional carriers), but as always, YMMV...
AS is barely above DL. And Southwest and JetBlue do better than both of them. https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...sfaction-study

A lot of these satisfaction metrics are a function of the customer base. AS can get away with stuff because they have a very forgiving, SEA-centric customer base. Open a JFK hub and see how this stuff flies.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by channa
AS is barely above DL. And Southwest and JetBlue do better than both of them. https://www.jdpower.com/business/pre...sfaction-study
A lot of these satisfaction metrics are a function of the customer base. AS can get away with stuff because they have a very forgiving, SEA-centric customer base. Open a JFK hub and see how this stuff flies.
Funny that we quote the exact same reference in our posts. I'm not buying the regional forgiveness excuse. Is there data to support that? You'd think JD Power might incorporate that into their surveys if there was...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.