Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Stingy About Waiving Cancellation/Change Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Stingy About Waiving Cancellation/Change Fees

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MasterGeek

I'll try that friendly chitchat strategy next time I call. Thanks!
LOL. I can already see the next thread coming: *AS reps won't waive change fees even when I was friendly and talkative*
Old Jan 30, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold

I'll try that friendly chitchat strategy next time I call. Thanks!
Good luck! I would say that I definitely never went in expecting it - I had friends who were on the same flights on different PNRs who couldn't get waived, so YMMV
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They may also look at your history with the company.

If you are close to MVPG on mostly AS metal, they may be more likely to waive it than if you never fly AS and just transfer/buy and redeem miles with them, and have 0 EQM.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Let's face it...the old friendly AS is pretty much gone. They are increasingly acting like (or even stingie than) the BIG three airlines. Finally, I will now make decisions based primarily on airfare. If I need flexibility, I will book Southwest. PERIOD.
BW Flyer likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
Above all - i want consistency and application of the published rules.....this may be a bit of a pain with change fees...but with upgrades - i want a clear adhered process/priority. I would be very upset if a non-elite shmoozed the gate agent to get a free upgrade with 20 on the upgrade list. That is just not fair to the loyal customer base.

I have always had change fees waived as a MVP Gold. But remember, i still do pay the fare difference. I guess the only frustration is when they wont change me a day earlier due to pending weather on the east coast. Especially when they only fly the route once a day. They are very stingy on weather waivers....I always feel like a moth to the flame with AS when it comes to weather.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by formeraa
Let's face it...the old friendly AS is pretty much gone. They are increasingly acting like (or even stingie than) the BIG three airlines. Finally, I will now make decisions based primarily on airfare. If I need flexibility, I will book Southwest. PERIOD.
Depends what kind of flexibility you want. SDCs are the worst on southwest since you have to pay fare difference between the fare you bought and the walk-up fare. That can be hundreds of dollars. AS is $25 for intra-CA or shuttle flights and $50 for everything else.

If you want the flexibility to move from one day to another then Southwest is better for sure (assuming no status)
PDXFA and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Someone at DL violated lond-standing "no wavers no favors" policy..
DrAlex likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Delta's not so bad. People laugh about the whole "Skypeso" thing but their international redemptions are in line with everyone else and they have TONS of availability. Round trip to Tokyo for 120k miles on Delta One is easy to find if you are willing to fly Tuesday-Thursday. Admittedly I love Tokyo and so I tend to judge award programs by how easy it is to get there (which is probably not a metric that makes sense for most people) but good luck finding anything other than AAnytime awards (at, maybe, 300-400k miles round trip) for AA Flagship First to just about anywhere TPAC or TATL.
You're right about availability, even to Europe. Right now the sweet spot I've found are VS upper class flights to LHR for 75K Skypesos one way. On the other hand, actual Delta One inventory from the West Coast to Europe is super rare at anything below 280k one way. And the lowest I've ever seen it is 86K one way.

There are a few sweet spots, but I'd hate to be stuck earning Skypesos.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Delta's not so bad. People laugh about the whole "Skypeso" thing but their international redemptions are in line with everyone else and they have TONS of availability. Round trip to Tokyo for 120k miles on Delta One is easy to find if you are willing to fly Tuesday-Thursday.
Tokyo out of the West Coast is not a hard get on miles, due to JL and NH not being incredibly stingy with inventory (I would commend AV Lifemiles to you). I also agree that the salad days of AS MP are to some extent over; losing DL/KL/AF was a huge hit for Europe, the wait for SQ and EI awards is a complete joke, and there aren't a lot of places AS can go to to add coverage (perhaps IB, but they're running out of airlines who aren't locked in with ST/*A).

But no published award chart and a history of no-notice changes plus no published award chart makes it hard for me to trust DL SM as a program, and their execs are on record as saying they want a 1 SkyPeso = 1 US cent valuation. If they were my primary carrier because of their schedule/service, I would be treating the SkyPesos as a bonus- and I do sincerely think they are a fine carrier (and I know a DL 360 who is well cared for- the reality is that for someone who flies J for work, they often just want to be taken care of when the fecal matter hits rotating blades and to be at home with family more). My respect for DL as an airline, while real, is however not due to their mileage program and the value offered in SkyPesos.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 30, 2019 at 6:15 pm
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atourgates
You're right about availability, even to Europe. Right now the sweet spot I've found are VS upper class flights to LHR for 75K Skypesos one way.
Ohhhhh, I didn't realize that they didn't collect the rip-off carrier-added-fee for VS flights from the US. That is a sweet spot!

You still have to get back though...
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:10 pm

Currently just dropped from Gold 75K to lowly MVP.

Last week I had to cancel a flight the night before due to my connecting flight being canceled (JetBlue). It was LAX-SEA and was only $68 so clearly not worth the $125 change fee. I called just to let them know I wouldn't be flying it. The agent was very nice and refunded me the $68 as "a one time courtesy for being a loyal customer". I'll be back to MVP Gold in a few months and won't have to worry about change fees for another 18 months.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
I'll be back to MVP Gold in a few months and won't have to worry about change fees for another 18 months.
^Nice gesture from AS! Although since you'll be back to Gold soon, you can cancel the ticket without paying the fee now and deposit the ticket later with the waiver when you get your status back.
williwaw likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Currently just dropped from Gold 75K to lowly MVP.

Last week I had to cancel a flight the night before due to my connecting flight being canceled (JetBlue). It was LAX-SEA and was only $68 so clearly not worth the $125 change fee. I called just to let them know I wouldn't be flying it. The agent was very nice and refunded me the $68 as "a one time courtesy for being a loyal customer". I'll be back to MVP Gold in a few months and won't have to worry about change fees for another 18 months.
gives me hope! I hope no note has been made on my account or itinerary so I can HUCA a few more times from different angles.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
Sorry, but if you want waived change fees, you can earn them through MVP Gold status, which is much more generous and customer friendly than many of their competitor's programs which don't offer change fee waivers at even higher elite levels.
+1000
This may be the single most generous airline frequent flyer benefit there is. And AS MVPG is very easily achievable.

I don't feel entitled. I'm just saying Alaska is acting "hungry" as they are starving for money and are alienating customers and it will change my perception about the Airline
This comment is way off base IMO. I say that as a multi-year UA 1K who typically pays at least $1-2k in UA change fees every year without complaint - those are the rules, and I know what they are when I buy the ticket.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite

gives me hope! I hope no note has been made on my account or itinerary so I can HUCA a few more times from different angles.
You have to be 75k or at least MVP to be considered "a loyal customer" though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.