Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Moves to SAN Terminal 2 - Goodbye T1 (1/29/2019)

Old Jan 29, 19, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Lifetime Plat 2 million, Starwood Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold 75k

Today is the first day Alaska is wholly operating out of terminal 2 at SAN. Any experiences yet? How were the lines this morning?

I'm very excited to have the Airspace lounge that I can get into with my Platinum American Express card as well as access to better restaurants. In my opinion, there was nothing good about Alaska's space in terminal 1.
Old Jan 29, 19, 12:04 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
The Airspace Lounge is also a partner lounge for Alaska Lounge members, so this is a welcome change. Always a bit frustrating when the partner lounge locations are not in the same terminal AS flights. I look forward to checking out that lounge next month as I stop through on my way to PVR.
Old Jan 29, 19, 12:16 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus
I flew into T1 yesterday around 1pm... I didnít realize the changeover was happening today.

Have check-in and baggage operations entirely moved to T2?
Old Jan 29, 19, 12:23 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
The SAN interactive map shows the AS desk in T2 now.
Old Jan 29, 19, 1:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
This is a very welcome change. I will be going through SAN in a couple weeks and I look forward to it...for once!
SpicyMorale likes this.
Old Jan 29, 19, 2:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
T1 is terrible in SAN, so glad that AS finally made this move.

Any idea who is taking their old space in T1? I doubt anyone traded with them. WN just getting more gates or something?
Old Jan 29, 19, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Originally Posted by emag_eh7 View Post

Any idea who is taking their old space in T1? I doubt anyone traded with them. WN just getting more gates or something?
I mostly fly WN to SAN (because of nonstop frequencies) and they desperately need more gate and seating space, so I am hoping that T1 will now be fully dedicated to WN. This change should make SAN a much more positive experience for both AS and WN passengers if that is the direction that T1 ends up going.
Old Jan 29, 19, 4:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA Gold, IHG Spire, Choice Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, National Exec
Originally Posted by emag_eh7 View Post

Spirit, Sun Country, and Allegiant have been banished to T1, joining Frontier, who was already there.
Spiff, beckoa, CREN and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 19, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Appreciate the move ^

The shuffle last year T2>T1 was not very exciting (Did get to stop by the lounge briefly however).
Old Jan 30, 19, 8:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA Gold, IHG Spire, Choice Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, National Exec
Just flew out of SAN this morning. For what its worth, AS had a couple of 737s parked at T1 alongside some Spirit planes, so I guess they still are able to use the gates for parking. Maybe this is just during mornings so AS can quickly rotate planes to T2 after the first round of flights depart.
Old Jan 31, 19, 12:11 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Oh good. Finally a full time PreCheck lane in SAN! And more than one bathroom!

Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
This change should make SAN a much more positive experience for both AS and WN passengers if that is the direction that T1 ends up going.
How would having operations spread across three gate rooms (circle of death, circle of despair and hallway of desperation) be a positive experience for WN customers connecting? Iíve done the Gate 2-Gate 4 shuffle before and itís not enjoyable.
Old Jan 31, 19, 9:50 am

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
So AS and AA are now the only airlines in T2 East. Still pretty cozy in the old part of the building, but beats T1!

Photo is from this morning.

SeaSfoWeekly, jinglish and DrAlex like this.
Old Jan 31, 19, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM, AS MVP, MR-LT Titanium, HH Gold
Thanks for the photo image. From the photo, it looks kind of tight !
Old Feb 1, 19, 12:01 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by allset2travel View Post
Thanks for the photo image. From the photo, it looks kind of tight !
Eh. It's not bad. It beats T1, that's for sure. T2 is all connected airside so you can clear security at T2W and walk back. In fact, I believe that PreCheck lane is fully staffed all day. The one at T2E might have certain hours that it's open.
Old Feb 1, 19, 3:01 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
Last time I flew into SAN it was on AA and out on Spirit. I also noticed the difference in quality, especially near the gate areas. Will look forward to seeing how it looks now on AS when I fly back in a few weeks.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: