Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Moves to SAN Terminal 2 - Goodbye T1 (1/29/2019)

AS Moves to SAN Terminal 2 - Goodbye T1 (1/29/2019)

Old Mar 5, 19, 4:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titan, AS MVPG&AL, others no status
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
the "Edit" button is a handy way to add stuff to an existing post
Yeah I use the Edit button to fix/augment my own posts but didn't know it could be used to add a second quote from someone else's post. I'd assumed the Multi-Quote button was for that purpose (and couldn't figure out how to make it work.) I'll try Edit next time. Thx.
Old Mar 5, 19, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area) and near LAX (El Segundo CA)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Westcoaster View Post
Yeah I use the Edit button to fix/augment my own posts but didn't know it could be used to add a second quote from someone else's post. I'd assumed the Multi-Quote button was for that purpose (and couldn't figure out how to make it work.) I'll try Edit next time. Thx.
tap “Quote” at the bottom of the relevant post, type your reply, tap “Done” at top right of keypad (NOT the blue “Submit Reply” button)

tap twice (not too quickly) anywhere in the text, tap “Select All”; tap “Cut” or “Copy”; tap “Done”

go back to your post, tap “Edit”; set the cursor at the end of the text field, tap “Return” on the keypad, tap “Paste”; tap “Submit Reply”
Westcoaster likes this.

Last edited by jrl767; Mar 5, 19 at 11:47 pm
Old Jun 7, 19, 11:22 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Silver, IHG Platinum, Choice Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, National Exec
Not sure why this wasnít the case to begin with, but B6 has moved to T1 at SAN this week. I know B6 only has a handful of flights per day, but I wonder if this gives AS more gates to use during certain times of the day. It would be nice if that were the case.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Jun 10, 19, 12:17 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Are there still more shifts to go?
Old Jun 10, 19, 9:36 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver, AS 75K 15-18
Unrelated to prior posts but with the SAN move, knowing abundance of AS flights in/out of San Diego, I predict Alaska will eventually build a AS lounge. It's the only major west coast airport within AS route network without a lounge. (SFO excepted but opens in 2020)
Old Jun 10, 19, 10:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Silver, IHG Platinum, Choice Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist, National Exec
Originally Posted by flyingislove View Post
Are there still more shifts to go?
I think they are done moving airlines for now. The next round of moves will probably happen once T1's replacement is built, but that won't be any time soon.
flyingislove likes this.
Old Jun 10, 19, 3:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt EXPL, *all* the CC statuses
Originally Posted by jiburi View Post
Unrelated to prior posts but with the SAN move, knowing abundance of AS flights in/out of San Diego, I predict Alaska will eventually build a AS lounge. It's the only major west coast airport within AS route network without a lounge. (SFO excepted but opens in 2020)
They'd have to somehow find space in T2E which is already a narrow corridor that can't support a coffee line more than 4 people deep without bulging out into the walk area.
And they already have a perfectly good lounge partner there, so I'm not sure why they'd do that unless they moved to T2W.
diver858 likes this.
Old Jun 12, 19, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by sudobuntu View Post
They'd have to somehow find space in T2E which is already a narrow corridor that can't support a coffee line more than 4 people deep without bulging out into the walk area.
And they already have a perfectly good lounge partner there, so I'm not sure why they'd do that unless they moved to T2W.
Always plenty of room available in the current partner lounge, difficult to see why AS would bother. More importantly, most of my flights appear to be comprised of budget leisure travelers (relatively easy upgrades), typically not the kind of passengers with lounge memberships.
AA pulled the plug on the Admirals Club during the last recession, primary purpose of the current lounge is to service BA (and now JL) customers.
Old Jun 13, 19, 7:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG, WN A-List
This whole shuffling at SAN was expensive, logistically difficult, and (for now) left AS with the same number of gates it had to begin with. As a longer-term strategy, it was necessary only if Alaska continues to grow its presence at SAN, requiring additional gates. Everything I have seen, read, and heard suggests that SAN has performed at or above expectations on nearly every route Alaska added in recent years, and the same cannot be said for some other California stations. AS has been especially successful on important intra-California business travel destinations (adding frequency and/or upgauging to mainline on SJC and SMF, for example).

My educated guess is that AS is letting things cool off a bit this year to catch its breath and let dust settle from the VX acquisition, then will add more routes out of SAN organically, as new aircraft are delivered.

Regarding the viability of an Alaska Lounge in San Diego, I think you just have to compare SAN to ANC. One is a small but peppy station with tons of leisure travelers and a half dozen fewer average daily AS departures... and the other is SAN.
soartoday likes this.
Old Jun 13, 19, 11:29 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Gate 28 Boarding Frolics

We and a young grandson were boarding the 2:15PM flight for PAE yesterday as the 2:10PM flight to FAT boarded almost simultaneously. It was a remarkably civilized crowd in a small space (no "gate lice" here) as we watched the beleaguered gate agents do their best to make order out of the chaos.

The confusion was amplified by boarding announcements from an adjacent gate requiring the PAE gate agent repeatedly to make his own clarifying announcements ("Sorry. That was not an announcement for the Paine Field flight."). Our PAE flight boarded before the FAT flight, presumably because of the late arrival of the plane bound for FAT.

The GA started to pre-board the PAE flight but then had to suspend the process when the passengers from the incoming plane bound for FAT started to deplane. We waiting passengers courteously made something of a space for the arrivals to snake their way through.

Whew!

We eventually boarded in a remarkably civilized way, complete with employees posted outside with hand-printed signs to direct us to the correct plane.

Once aboard, there was some mechanical issue requiring the door to be opened again and holding up our departure for upwards of 30 minutes, yet our EMB 175 still managed to land at PAE only 10 minutes late after a pleasant flight. The pilot's updates were excellent throughout.

I sat in the terrific seat 6C one row behind Mrs. Fredd and our young grandson who was wowed by sitting in F and by the attention of the FA. I was mildly wowed when Mrs. Fredd handed her pre-departure wine back to me for a sip.

All's well that ends well.
Old Jun 13, 19, 3:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt EXPL, *all* the CC statuses
Originally Posted by Fredd View Post
The GA started to pre-board the PAE flight but then had to suspend the process when the passengers from the incoming plane bound for FAT started to deplane.
Ah yes, infamous Gate 28. Since our weather is usually so nice, I generally enjoy walking down the ramp onto the tarmac and then back up into the E175s that use this gate. Especially on a clear, breezy day.
Two flights at such a close time in that space, though, seems not fun.
Old Jun 13, 19, 6:05 pm

I encountered a similar situation at gate 28 when heading to SJC a couple months ago. Definitely wasnít fun with both departing flights being completely full. My hope is that AS is able to utilize gates 34-36 that B6 vacated, which would help alleviate some of the congestion T2E experiences. B6 doesnít have all that many departures out of SAN though, so I honestly donít know how much it would help.