Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SEA-KOA Refueling Stop?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
You are 100% due compensation from whoever caused the headwinds. Seriously.
Would that be the Chris Farley estate or NBC?
Rifleman69 likes this.

Last edited by DrAlex; Jan 29, 2019 at 8:24 pm Reason: Edited for clarity
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by williwaw
Earlier this week a friend on a E175 from DAL to PDX had to stop in Redmond to refuel. She asked via Twitter for some consideration and received a voucher.
** oh the regret **
my DAL-SEA flight last year had to put down in SLC for fuel; the captain had announced the technical stop while we were waiting for the line of thunderstorms across the departure track to dissipate ... c’mon, people, this stuff happens; the thought of complaining in hopes of getting “some consideration” never crossed my mind
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:51 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by jrl767

** oh the regret **
my DAL-SEA flight last year had to put down in SLC for fuel; the captain had announced the technical stop while we were waiting for the line of thunderstorms across the departure track to dissipate ... c’mon, people, this stuff happens; the thought of complaining in hopes of getting “some consideration” never crossed my mind
One can debate if the airline should be able to manage the advertised route or not. But in this case it was clear to my friend that the flight crew was recalculating fuel and weight at departure and even still couldn’t load more fuel on. Her point was if the E175 can’t make the route, maybe chose another aircraft.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 12:36 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by williwaw

One can debate if the airline should be able to manage the advertised route or not. But in this case it was clear to my friend that the flight crew was recalculating fuel and weight at departure and even still couldn’t load more fuel on. Her point was if the E175 can’t make the route, maybe chose another aircraft.
Problem is that the route may not exist with a larger aircraft. This is like complaining about not owning a moving truck for the occasional times when you need to move. Yeah it happens where you need to move, but is it worth the investment of your money? Plus needing to drive a moving truck for the other 99% of the time you need to drive somewhere that doesn't require one? And yes the weight difference between a E175 and a 738 is several moving trucks worth.
notquiteaff and be_rettSEA like this.

Last edited by alphaeagle; Jan 30, 2019 at 7:18 pm
Old Jan 30, 2019, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
There really are not many options and it is rarely planned significantly in advance because it is a matter of wind intensity.

Options are:
1. Crash into the Pacific (not really likely because there are likely reserves sufficient to make it).
2. Cancel flight.
3. Lease / purchase new aircraft (likely takes more than 4 hours).

You are 100% due compensation from whoever caused the headwinds. Seriously.
thanks for the extremely valuable post. Seriously.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 6:09 am

Options are:
1. Crash into the Pacific (not really likely because there are likely reserves sufficient to make it).
2. Cancel flight.
3. Lease / purchase new aircraft (likely takes more than 4 hours).
4. Relocate Hawaii to be about 500 miles closer.

Last edited by spongenotbob; Jan 30, 2019 at 6:33 am
Old Jan 30, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I have been having the same issue with my car. 99% of the time I get around all week fine on a tank of gas, however I have noticed when I take really long trips I need to stop for gas. I was thinking maybe I should just buy a tanker truck? Perhaps AS should make a deal with the Air Force so they could do in flight re-fueling.

Or to be a bit political, we could do what they do in DC, simply declare that Hawaii is now 500 miles closer and plan accordingly.
cedric likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marco Polo Silver
Originally Posted by spongenotbob

Pretty sure Pele is working on that.
williwaw likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by spongenotbob

5. 2,500-mile-long floating hyperloop. C'mon people, modern problems require modern solutions.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
To be fair to OP, Alaska's decision to fly under-ranged 737-800s on this route is a purely business decision. It's no surprise that, this time of year, headwinds get in the way and cause these problems. Alaska has decided it's cheaper to take the tech stop in these cases rather than buy aircraft that are better suited for operating the route year round.

So compensation isn't quite as ridiculous as it might sound at first glance; operating this flight on time *was* possible and within Alaska's control, and they chose not to for business reasons. DL 1096 on the 17th arrived in KOA on time, as it was operated by a 757-200...

Not saying AS is making the wrong decision overall. But being annoyed that your chosen airline has decided not to buy airplanes that are appropriate for the flight they sold you isn't crazy, IMHO.
channa, BW Flyer, sea_jeff and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by BenA
To be fair to OP, Alaska's decision to fly under-ranged 737-800s on this route is a purely business decision. It's no surprise that, this time of year, headwinds get in the way and cause these problems. Alaska has decided it's cheaper to take the tech stop in these cases rather than buy aircraft that are better suited for operating the route year round.

So compensation isn't quite as ridiculous as it might sound at first glance; operating this flight on time *was* possible and within Alaska's control, and they chose not to for business reasons. DL 1096 on the 17th arrived in KOA on time, as it was operated by a 757-200...

Not saying AS is making the wrong decision overall. But being annoyed that your chosen airline has decided not to buy airplanes that are appropriate for the flight they sold you isn't crazy, IMHO.
if we just randomly say AS operates ~10 daily flights from WA/OR to HI with 738s (maybe 3500/year), even a single tech stop diversion a month is less than one-half of one per cent of those operations

yes it sucks when you’re on that flight, but it’s definitely a business decision (the alternative being to offload pax and baggage to where they can indeed complete the flight while remaining legal on fuel; I can certainly imagine the commentary in a thread titled something like “Alaska bumps 18 pax from SEA-OGG because of wind”) ... I don’t think it’s appropriate to label the aircraft as “under-ranged” or not “appropriate for the flight” when the airline can build a schedule with expectation of completing 99.5% of the flights
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767

if we just randomly say AS operates ~10 daily flights from WA/OR to HI with 738s (maybe 3500/year), even a single tech stop diversion a month is less than one-half of one per cent of those operations

yes it sucks when you’re on that flight, but it’s definitely a business decision (the alternative being to offload pax and baggage to where they can indeed complete the flight while remaining legal on fuel; I can certainly imagine the commentary in a thread titled something like “Alaska bumps 18 pax from SEA-OGG because of wind”) ... I don’t think it’s appropriate to label the aircraft as “under-ranged” or not “appropriate for the flight” when the airline can build a schedule with expectation of completing 99.5% of the flights
This makes sense, and is even more reason why it's a rational business decision to use this aircraft - *and* compensate people when they're in the 0.5% that Alaska knows it will have and be unable to operate normally.

This one seems easy. AS should at least make good with the people on those rare flights. Clearly that's a better business decision than buying a bunch of other aircraft.
sea_jeff, rustykettel and williwaw like this.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
I had to take a tech stop in SLC and a BOS-SFO airbus flight a little over a year ago. It definitely made for a loooonnnnng day and I was glad I had sprung for an F seat. But I don't think I'm due anything for those situations. In well over 2 million lifetime flying miles, I've had four diversions. One was for a pregnant woman, one was a flag stop to pick up stranded passengers (that Horizon flag stop should have been comped for those of us who booked a nonstop and arrived at a small airport after the rental car agencies closed), and two were for weather issues.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I’d also add that AS isn’t the only airline sending 737’s to Hawaii. UA, DL, SY, and soon to be WN all do it.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by BenA

Yup...and years ago UA (CO back then) got in trouble with German authorities for flying 757s from a few airports in Europe due to the frequency of the refueling stops. it became a consumer matter because they advertised nonstops and weren't able to deliver a nonstop flight.

AS used to compensate in these situations. And no reason they can't bump people either. If they go high enough in the comp, people will bump, and it will be voluntary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.