SEA-KOA Refueling Stop?

Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
SEA-KOA Refueling Stop?

Non-stop added about 4 hours with a stop in OAK to top off the tanks last week due to headwinds. Of course that is better than running out of fuel but annoying. Particularly when you spend a fair amount of time on the tarmac waiting for a gate to free up due to being so late.

i rarely check bags but brought enough carry on camera gear and work related stuff to necessitate checking a bag. The bag was late on the inbound flight so at least I got $25 for the baggage guarantee.

Zero compensation for the unscheduled stop.

Would have been nice to know it was happening in advance at the very least.

Customer Care said nope - no compensation and no text updates on the fuel stop. Not super thrilled about that. Oh well...

i searched and and didn’t see any threads regarding this topic other than one trans on thread about an A320 so forgive me if this has been discussed ad nauseum.

At least they were good about the baggage guarantee.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Strong winter winds test the range of AS 738s to Hawaii each winter. The Max 9s will do better. Or, fly a Delta 757.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

To be honest I did consider flying another carrier since this was booked on about 3 weeks notice and zero chance of scoring an upgrade and zero chance of using a GGU. An alternative carrier would at least have been on a wide body or a longer range plane.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, New Sagaya
Some rumors of Alaska acquiring a couple Boeing 314's for the route.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

That would be going in style albeit slowly.
wrp96, flatdawgs and williwaw like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Crew was hungry and needed its INO fix.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 12:32 am

Programs: AS - MVPG; DL - SM; Marriott, Hilton, SPG - Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
Crew was hungry and needed its INO fix.
No joke, that's the first place I head whenever I fly into OAK!
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Strong winter winds test the range of AS 738s to Hawaii each winter. The Max 9s will do better. Or, fly a Delta 757.
Delta has made fuel stops too. Winds have been brutal.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:37 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by williwaw
Some rumors of Alaska acquiring a couple Boeing 314's for the route.
Will AS be flying from LKE or KEH?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:00 am

I had this happen on the same route in October. Stopped @ PDX to refuel (seriously...)

Got a $75 code per person.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Will AS be flying from LKE or KEH?
It would have to be KEH; not enough distance at LKE for a 314 to make a safe turn once airborne.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by quemalo
It would have to be KEH; not enough distance at LKE for a 314 to make a safe turn once airborne.
So, exactly where did the flying boats land in Seattle back in the day?! Somehow that was not covered in any of the several Washington history classes I had in high school and at UDub....
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
So, exactly where did the flying boats land in Seattle back in the day?! Somehow that was not covered in any of the several Washington history classes I had in high school and at UDub....
(Sorry to hijack the thread with a smart aleck comment...)

The Renton facility was where Boeing tested from, there was also some naval flying boat activity from Sand Point. But not sure about commercial service. I think the Clippers worked out of San Francisco, so I assume you connected via some other route to start the travel.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by sea_jeff
Non-stop added about 4 hours with a stop in OAK to top off the tanks last week due to headwinds. Of course that is better than running out of fuel but annoying. Particularly when you spend a fair amount of time on the tarmac waiting for a gate to free up due to being so late.

i rarely check bags but brought enough carry on camera gear and work related stuff to necessitate checking a bag. The bag was late on the inbound flight so at least I got $25 for the baggage guarantee.

Zero compensation for the unscheduled stop.

Would have been nice to know it was happening in advance at the very least.

Customer Care said nope - no compensation and no text updates on the fuel stop. Not super thrilled about that. Oh well...

i searched and and didn’t see any threads regarding this topic other than one trans on thread about an A320 so forgive me if this has been discussed ad nauseum.

At least they were good about the baggage guarantee.
There really are not many options and it is rarely planned significantly in advance because it is a matter of wind intensity.

Options are:
1. Crash into the Pacific (not really likely because there are likely reserves sufficient to make it).
2. Cancel flight.
3. Lease / purchase new aircraft (likely takes more than 4 hours).

You are 100% due compensation from whoever caused the headwinds. Seriously.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:43 pm

Earlier this week a friend on a E175 from DAL to PDX had to stop in Redmond to refuel. She asked via Twitter for some consideration and received a voucher.
sea_jeff likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.