Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

ADN: "Alaska Air CEO announces 120 million in performance bonuses to employees"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2019, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver

The full title of the article: "Alaska Air CEO declares ‘turning point,’ announces $120 million in performance bonuses to employees"

Here is the Article: https://www.adn.com/business-economy...8ufR5BRZwjDjaQ

A couple interesting notes from Tilden. He said integrating employees from Virgin is 95% complete. AS has also repainted 39 of the 71 Airbus planes. "We're rapidly becoming a better version of ourselves with greater reach and scale," Tilden said. "We have good momentum heading into 2019."
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
He said integrating employees from Virgin is 95% complete.
The exact wording in the article:
"he said the burden of integrating the employees and airplanes Alaska Airlines absorbed two years ago when it acquired Virgin America is now 95 percent complete"

Is the employee part remotely true? I don't know anything other than flying with the two disparate sets of crews, but integrating airplanes is nowhere near 95 percent.... I'd say exterior paint is the only aircraft KPI above 50%.

Very curious how the cabin crews will be operating together. All the labor contracts are still separate, right? Apologies for not paying closer attention
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I *might* have seen a cross-fleeted crew last week LAX-SEA. I know training is done. The FA was talking about VX versus AS aircraft config. Fresh off a tpac, I dozed off after the meal service so didn't inquire.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
The exact wording in the article:
"he said the burden of integrating the employees and airplanes Alaska Airlines absorbed two years ago when it acquired Virgin America is now 95 percent complete"

Is the employee part remotely true? I don't know anything other than flying with the two disparate sets of crews, but integrating airplanes is nowhere near 95 percent.... I'd say exterior paint is the only aircraft KPI above 50%.

Very curious how the cabin crews will be operating together. All the labor contracts are still separate, right? Apologies for not paying closer attention
Last I heard, the goal was to have all Airbus planes repainted by the summer, so they wouldn't have to pay Virgin royalties once all planes are in AS colors. Aircraft interiors are being done as they cycle in for C checks I believe (I'm not 100% sure on this though)

Originally Posted by beckoa
I *might* have seen a cross-fleeted crew last week LAX-SEA. I know training is done. The FA was talking about VX versus AS aircraft config. Fresh off a tpac, I dozed off after the meal service so didn't inquire.

All crews are still separate, however cross-flying for flight attendants begins this Thursday, January 31. This is the first day you'll see L-AS crews flying on the A320 and L-VX crews flying on the 737. March 1 is the first day without base "fences," so all bases are open to all flight attendants (seniority dependent obviously).

The L-VX flight attendants did not have a CBA, so the integration is fairly easy, and they transition on 1/31 to being completely covered under the AS CBA (because they were still on separate bidding/scheduling systems, work rules couldn't be fully integrated until they were on the same systems)

I believe L-VX pilots were ALPA (same as AS), so while that shouldn't have been difficult, almost the entire agreement had to go through binding arbitration and I have no idea at what stage of the integration they're on. However I do know that, like the flight attendants, L-VX pilots are changing to the same scheduling systems as L-AS pilots on 1/31.
DrAlex, jinglish and flatdawgs like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Thanks! Super helpful. One question:

Originally Posted by AS737
All crews are still separate, however cross-flying for flight attendants begins this Thursday, January 31. This is the first day you'll see L-AS crews flying on the A320 and L-VX crews flying on the 737. March 1 is the first day without base "fences," so all bases are open to all flight attendants (seniority dependent obviously).
So as of Jan 31, the crews can be mixed? Or will that wait until March 1, with fully legacy-Alaska or legacy-Virgin crews in the interim on a mix of 737s and Airbii?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I saw a few AS employees on LAX-BOS yesterday. They were in back but i saw two of them come up at one point trying to figure how to get past the rope to F.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
Thanks! Super helpful. One question:

So as of Jan 31, the crews can be mixed? Or will that wait until March 1, with fully legacy-Alaska or legacy-Virgin crews in the interim on a mix of 737s and Airbii?
Crews can be mixed, because some flights have crews from more than 1 base. For example, I have a flight next month with LAX-based pilots, 3 SEA-based flight attendants, and 1 SFO-based flight attendant
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:51 pm

Virgin crew are much better, from my experience. Especially in F
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
It all depends on perspective. They are definitely better at not doing their job! My experience was dreadful. I am not booking Airbus for now. "Especially in F!" Disengaged up front, disgruntled out back. I would have to agree with you there.

James
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:29 pm

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
Originally Posted by beckoa
I believe all the training is done, but the crews aren't mixed yet. One or two of the airbus's (airbii?) have been reconfigured already so that could be what they were talking about. The cabin crew mixing should begin in Feb or Mar from what I have read.

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It all depends on perspective. They are definitely better at not doing their job! My experience was dreadful. I am not booking Airbus for now. "Especially in F!" Disengaged up front, disgruntled out back. I would have to agree with you there.

James
Unfortunately judging a crew based off of the A/C type you're flying is coming to an end in the next month or so. Booking a Boeing flight won't be a sure fire way to ensure you don't receive a "dreadful" pmVX crew.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

James
Well you have one whole data point so I'm sure that your assumption that all the crews are like that is rock solid
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
My three most recent flights in F all had SFO-based ex-VX crew. One provided very good service, one was average, and one was poor (in the latter case, because various aspects of the service were missing and the F/A simply lied about it and claimed "cutbacks"). When I flew the same flight a month later, everything that was missing on the original flight was offered. Crews are nice enough, but not a lot of smiles. It's like they just want to get the service over with so they can go sit down or chat in the galley.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by brettsir
I believe all the training is done, but the crews aren't mixed yet. One or two of the airbus's (airbii?) have been reconfigured already so that could be what they were talking about. The cabin crew mixing should begin in Feb or Mar from what I have read.

Unfortunately judging a crew based off of the A/C type you're flying is coming to an end in the next month or so. Booking a Boeing flight won't be a sure fire way to ensure you don't receive a "dreadful" pmVX crew.
At least they will be working with professionals that know what they are doing.

James
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Well you have one whole data point so I'm sure that your assumption that all the crews are like that is rock solid
It was actually two, both equally bad, both in violation of established safety protocols. Yes, that is plural. If they want to jeopardize themselves, fine. Just don't jeopardize the safety of the passengers when you do it. Two datapoints is enough for me. A bad apple (or in this case two) spoils the bag. Had I never flown Alaska before, those would have been my last with the company.

My documentation of fact, in a 4 page letter, was of great interest to AS and their response was amazing. They didn't gloss over anything, expounded on each and every point and outlined what actions they were taking.

I have a background in law enforcement. Make of it what you will. I don't care what you think of me one way or the other. AS definitely cares and that is what is important. I have been on hundreds of flights. Those were the only two that I genuinely felt uncomfortable on.

I was aware of the crew-mix start date weeks ago. AS shared that with me. I will not disclose the multitude of infractions or other sensitive content of my correspondence with AS. It is one thing to have a bad day. It is quite another when an entire inflight crew, times two, is disengaged & disgruntled to the point of blatant disdain to safety.

The 70's vibe, purple plexiglass, button pushing, free flowing, party atmosphere, casting caution to the wind, is gone. For those pmVX employees that can't let go just might be let go. And that, in my opinion, is a good thing.

Once the interiors are updated and the pmVX staff decide if they are "onboard" or "off loaded," I will be happy to fly an AS Airbus.

James
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And let's also not forget -- let's not forget, Dude -- that keeping wildlife, uh, an amphibious rodent, for uh, you know, domestic, within the city -- that ain't legal either.
DrAlex and flatdawgs like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.