Wiki Posts
Search

Million Miler Recognition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Million Miler Recognition

On AS 686 (PDX - ORD), the gate agents announced that we had a passenger who would be hitting his million miles on the flight. They recognized him by name, everyone clapped, and they invited him to be the very first person to board the plane. I thought this was very well done on Alaska’s part, especially since it looks like he’s back in coach for the flight
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Damn... was just on 686 Tuesday.

Congrats to them. This is something AS can do, but is inconsistent on.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: RDM AS 100K - 1MM / DL DM - 3MM / Marriott Ambassador - Lifetime Titanium Elite
At a minimum they should upgrade the new million miler. That is a lot of BIS miles.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
They did a nice job for TH in ABQ last June. ,She was thinking it would be on a PDX-BWI flight she had booked, but she had a few extra flights tucked into her schedule in Q2. As for ABQ, it didn't seem like there were a lot of Frequent Fliers with a ton of interest on such an auspicious occasion on the flight or in the boarding area but the gate agent made an announcement and then they made an announcement on the plane as well. I believe people clapped. She liked the ABQ experience because it was an outstation and she hates to be the center of attention, but appreciated the effort the gate agent and FAs made for her. BTW, her upgrade cleared a few hours before we got the airport, mine cleared at 48 hours.

I think in Seattle or Portland, the gate announcement would be not heard based on the amount of noise that comes from the nearby gates.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
It's nice they do something special for the flight that hits the million mile mark. Certainly a big achievement.

I've only had one flight where they called out a million mile flyer. It wasn't the flight he hit it on... they just made a special comment during the flight "special thanks to our million mile flyer who joined us today" and everyone gave a polite clap. Can't recall if they said his first name or not.

I didn't realize he was sitting next to me in 6E until the drink service came by and the FA said something to him. I asked him how he ended up in 6E as a MM! He had apparently bought the ticket and F was full as were all aisle & windows in PE. I'm guessing he was some sort of high up at a corporation where he did a lot of public speaking because he kept me engaged the entire flight
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

The flight attendants also made another announcement on the plane and tried to give context (I think the example was that he’d flown enough Alaska miles to go to the moon and back twice). Everyone gave him another round of applause. Quite an achievement
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lalala
I think in Seattle or Portland, the gate announcement would be not heard based on the amount of noise that comes from the nearby gates.
It was actually fairly easy to hear at the gate in Portland this morning. The airport was surprisingly emptier than I’ve seen it in awhile. It’s a nice change of pace from December. Security lines were short and the Alaska lounge had all kinds of open seating - I could get used to that
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:11 pm

I would absolutely hate if they called me out at the gate, on the plane, even identifying my seat, fine but that's as far as I would want to go. Just give me the perks, please.

I will most likely get my million miles all back in coach.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:59 am

Just achieved mm status on DCA-PDX this week. Didn’t get the shout out at gate but FC FA and rest of crew went out of their way to thank me. Pilot came on intercom mid flight after they calculated my actual million mile flown to recognize me and FA added with the moon and back analogy. I asked FA and she said she’d recognized about 3 mm flyers Ytd. She personally received an email during boarding that I was hitting the threshold in that flight. Kudos to her and Alaska for the nice thank you.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Congratulations, and welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:23 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by snidge
Just achieved mm status on DCA-PDX this week. Didn’t get the shout out at gate but FC FA and rest of crew went out of their way to thank me. Pilot came on intercom mid flight after they calculated my actual million mile flown to recognize me and FA added with the moon and back analogy. I asked FA and she said she’d recognized about 3 mm flyers Ytd. She personally received an email during boarding that I was hitting the threshold in that flight. Kudos to her and Alaska for the nice thank you.
An email was sent to my MM flight and nothing happened until I asked the cabin crew to tell me when we were 86 miles out of Seattle to hit my MM. Since it was a redeye, the gate agent, couldn't handle my million mile announcement and boarding and I was getting kind of grumpy in the boarding area. However, they did announce it on the flight because I told them. I did get a sweet note from the crew thanking me for my loyalty (which I will always cherish) and lots of chocolate bars for my work week and a hug from the FC attendant. My taller half (who had hit million miler in July 2018) sent in an Alaska listens as she was disappointed and received a detailed email back apologizing for the non-recognition and a service cert for me, so I'm satisfied.

Many congrats to you - if you think about it, it is an amazing feat considering to hit MM as some of us started when the longest flights were to Mexico from SFO/LAX or to FAI or ANC on Alaska metal and were shocked! when they started to expand their network to far flung places like Washington DC and Hawaii.

lala
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
@snidge, welcome to Flyertalk, Alaska Airlines forum, and the MM'er club ^

Here's to the next Million Miles ^
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:25 am

Time to grade on the curve. I think Alaska should give special status to anyone "achieving" 100,000 Q400 flight miles. Maybe a thermos of water for use in the bathroom and a special suitcase selected from the Barbie doll accessory collection (so it will fit in the overhead). A special "100K Q400 Flyer" umbrella would be nice too (for use at SEA and PDX while waiting in the rain for a la cart bags).
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bofc
Time to grade on the curve. I think Alaska should give special status to anyone "achieving" 100,000 Q400 flight miles. Maybe a thermos of water for use in the bathroom and a special suitcase selected from the Barbie doll accessory collection (so it will fit in the overhead). A special "100K Q400 Flyer" umbrella would be nice too (for use at SEA and PDX while waiting in the rain for a la cart bags).
With 500 EQM/MM miles per segment, don't you think that is asking a lot? lol I can see the Umbrella, maybe even embossed with your name at 200K, but a "Barbie" suitcase........ come on man!

James
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
point taken, but I'm a literalist who has logged a few longer segments: 696 actual miles LAX-BOI/SUN, SEA-BIL; 618 SEA-STS (x4); 542 BZN-PDX ... I have 58 flights on AS DH4s, for a total of ~18000 miles

Last edited by jrl767; Aug 15, 2019 at 11:09 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.