Alaska vs. AA for LAX-SEA in F

Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Alaska vs. AA for LAX-SEA in F

Dear Friends

May I ask - what would you fly for a day trip from LAX to SEA and back in F - Alaska or American?

I am OW Sapphire but won't reach Gold anyway this year so tier points would not matter; I am tempted to try out Alaska as I have heard a some good things about them.

Timings are roughly the same (as well as price) - so is there something else I should consider either pro-AA or Alaska? Lounge access in LAX/ Flagship or access in Seattle?
I have an Amex Platinum so could also visit a Centurion Lounge (if there is one in Seattle). I understand with Alaska in F I would not have any lounge access?

Given that I am London based I appreciate AA's domestic F product (compared to CE of BA) - would Alaska be different?

Any thoughts on this much welcome! Thanks, Daniel
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
AS F/P ticket gives Alaska Lounge access at both LAX and SEA; however neither station has what could be termed a “remarkable” experience

others will have to weigh in about AA’s product, but I believe all their service (3x/day?) uses the E175 which is a really nice F experience; AS has ~14x/day, probably 65% Airbus 20% 737 and a couple E75
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
The only OW lounge in SEA is the BA lounge in the south terminal, and it is about as physically distant from AA high D gates as you can get (and not very good IMO). BA also is optimizing the lounge for BA flights not AA flights (they close midday for some hours). AS F includes lounge access as part of the ticket.

I might well buy AS F out of SEA and AA F out of LAX (OW LAX T4 J lounge access for you) and compare the two experiences- why not have a direct comparison as your trip plans? There is likely no price or other benefit to buying as a round trip on one airline, unless you are really worried your outbound would get cancelled (probably not much of a worry).
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
If you fly AA out of LAX, you will fly out of the remote “Eagles Nest” terminal which can be a bit of a pain. There is an Admirals Club there, but the better lounges are a bus ride away. I flew this last April and found that the quantity of food inflight to be significantly more than AS (sandwich, side salad, cookie served after takeoff followed by warm nuts before landing). AA did not provide power outlets on the plane.

AS will have better leg room, a slightly wider seat, power outlets, and a more accessible terminal at LAX.

Personally I prefer AS on this route because of how much I dislike the AA commuter terminal in LA.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
And, if your schedule allows, I'd look for AS flight numbers in the 1xxx series, as those are all Airbus / former Virgin America planes with a much nicer F product than you'd find on either AA or other AS aircraft for this route. They've also just started cabin mods on the Airbus fleet so they won't be around at all in the next few years to try.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
And, if your schedule allows, I'd look for AS flight numbers in the 1xxx series, as those are all Airbus / former Virgin America planes with a much nicer F product than you'd find on either AA or other AS aircraft for this route. They've also just started cabin mods on the Airbus fleet so they won't be around at all in the next few years to try.
I would take that advice with a grain of salt. There have been numerous reports of the old VX interiors not being maintained and seats having issues that are not fixed.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Duck1981
May I ask - what would you fly for a day trip from LAX to SEA and back in F - Alaska or American?
As a frequent AA and AS flyer (EXP and MVPG75K), this is an easy call IMO. I'd go with AS and would recommend that you attempt to book your flight on an ex-VX Airbus (32S). It appears AA is only running the E175 on this route these days... no mainline, which almost certainly buys you a bus trip to the remote terminal.

My order of priority for these airlines on this route would be: AS 32S (8F, amazing pitch) > AS 73H (12F, great pitch) > AS E75 (12F with single seat side) > AS 73J (16 F, average pitch) > AA E75 (12F with single seat side).
Erasmus, NoLaGent and solewalker like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
You would have to check the seating chart, but FWIW, on AA E75s, the left-side aisle seat in the first row of Coach typically has more leg room than any seat in F. Because it's a Main Cabin Extra seat, there are dedicated overhead bins and (at least) one complimentary alcoholic beverage. And since oneworld Sapphires already get lounge access and can choose MCE seats on all Coach fares except Basic Economy, if that seat is still available on the OP's desired flight(s), I would seriously consider booking that seat rather than an F seat -- at least, if the OP is paying out of his own pocket.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...abin-extra.jsp
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metallo
My order of priority for these airlines on this route would be: AS 32S (8F, amazing pitch) > AS 73H (12F, great pitch) > AS E75 (12F with single seat side) > AS 73J (16 F, average pitch) > AA E75 (12F with single seat side).
AS F pitch is identical on 73Hs and 73Js now because F pitch is standardized on ~90% of the pmAS 737 fleet (and I've flown enough of both pre- and post-refurb to know the difference). Only the 73G is left to get 41" pitch fleetwide.

Consolidated 739/ER reconfigured F/PE/Y 16/24/138 Thread [Completed]

Consolidated 73H reconfigured F/PE/Y 12/30/117 Thread [They're out there!]

Refurbished 737-700 N619AS

Alaska Airlines to Introduce a New Premium Class Section

The QX/OO E75 planes flying for AS won't get 41" inch pitch ever though, based on current plans.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re: lounge access, with the Platinum card you also get PP, which gets you into the club at SEA.

If you can't credit your AS flight to a program where you collect miles, I would go with AA. Orphaned miles are annoying and while it doesn't seem like much, they do add up. If you can, or are thinking that you might fly AS semi regularly, then you may as well give them a try. The miles are valuable and the distance based miles earning is great while it lasts. Honestly, domestic short-haul F products are all more or less equally crappy at this point so I'd say it doesn't matter that much.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
re: lounge access, with the Platinum card you also get PP, which gets you into the club at SEA.
...which would be a very odd decision when one has Centurion Lounge access.
be_rettSEA, film_girl and ab2013 like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jinglish
...which would be a very odd decision when one has Centurion Lounge access.
So would the Alaska lounge but that's being discussed too.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you can't credit your AS flight to a program where you collect miles, I would go with AA. Orphaned miles are annoying and while it doesn't seem like much, they do add up
AS can be credited to BA (OP is BA Silver) just like AA (no BA Tier Points though, as mentioned), just like BA can be credited to AS.

So would the Alaska lounge but that's being discussed too.
The Centurion Lounge isn't as far away as BA's lounge is from AS gates, but it's not as convenient as whatever AL is closest to the gate. Then again it's nicer-ish than the Alaska Lounge (while less convenient) the same way that the OW J lounge at LAX is nicer-ish than the remote gates AA lounge, but a bit of a haul. OP is also eligible for AA's Flagship Lounge out of LAX.

I tend to think airport lounges are a waste on short trips myself for O/D unless I get hosed by a delay that pops up, especially in the USA (I would rather show up at the airport later then cool my heels in a lounge unless it's some kind of ZOMG WOW THE KRUG AND SHOWERZ kind of experience, which you generally don't get in the USA); I'm more interested in them if I am connecting. The OW J lounge and FL at LAX are two of the nicer ones in the USA, which is why I would probably use AA out of LAX if I really thought "must have killer lounge for my flights".
ashill likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
I would take that advice with a grain of salt. There have been numerous reports of the old VX interiors not being maintained and seats having issues that are not fixed.
I've been on two flights just this month with electric seat control issues in F. In both cases the seats reclined just fine, but the controls would not work to raise the seat and a flight attendant had to be summoned to manually raise the seat up the normal position.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by metallo
My order of priority for these airlines on this route would be: AS 32S (8F, amazing pitch)...
The more I fly it, the less fond of it I am. There's no underseat storage, and even if you kind of cram your bag up there, the seat pitch is, ironically, too large to easily reach it. The reclining mechanism is ridiculously complicated and sometimes broken. The seat pan seems too deep to allow for good back support. But, as always, YMMV.

Bigger picture, it's a 2 hr flight (plus taxi time). Does the seat really matter that much? Even MCE/Premium seems fine for that duration, conditional on one's size.
Flying for Fun and ashill like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.