Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS flights cost fewer AA miles than AS miles? Is IM awake?

Old Jan 15, 19, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I want to be free! Free!

Seeing some bay-area dallas saver F at 25k AA miles but 30-40k AS miles for identical flights. seems like bad optics at the very least on the value? Come on guys...
Old Jan 15, 19, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach View Post
Seeing some bay-area dallas saver F at 25k AA miles but 30-40k AS miles for identical flights. seems like bad optics at the very least on the value? Come on guys...
I can't comment on this particular example, but it's not unusual for different FFPs to charge varying amounts of miles for the exact same award itinerary.
eponymous_coward and buschoi like this.
Old Jan 15, 19, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
I redeemed BA Avios for BKK-HKG in CX J. The cost was 15k Avios*. Would have cost me 22.5k MP miles on AS for identical flights.

I redeemed 70k AS MP miles (and $390ish cash) for AMS(BA Y)-LHR(BA F)-ORD-SEA(AS F). The same redemption on the same flights would have cost me 144,500 miles + a lot of cash using BA Avios.

I don't see that the "bad optics" have anything to do with it. Different award programs have different pricing, different sweet spots and different not-so-sweet spots. AS increased saver F award prices on trips longer than 2,101 last year.

*in fact I paid 8k Avios plus $100 in cash, because that's an option in BA.
trooper likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 16, 19 at 6:16 pm
Old Jan 16, 19, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
I redeemed BA Avios for BKK-HKG in CX J. The cost was 15k Avios*. Would have cost me 22.5k Avios on AS for identical flights.

AS flies BKK-HKG now??????
Old Jan 16, 19, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
It's entirely possible that AS makes more money selling the ticket to AA than it would on an AS redemption.
KnownasEric likes this.
Old Jan 16, 19, 11:16 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Aliquot View Post
Yes, when they take delivery of their new 737-900EEEEER!
Old Jan 16, 19, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Apparently you missed “CX J” in my post. CX means Cathay Pacific. J means business class. Cathay Pacific does indeed fly Bangkok-Hong Kong and has a partnership with both British Airways and Alaska Airlines.

This is to say I paid less miles using British Airways Avios than had I used Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan for the exact same flights. Just like the original poster is observing.

Anything else I can help clear up for you?

jinglish and trooper like this.
Old Jan 16, 19, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just because both carriers call their funny money "miles" does not make an AS mile or an AA mile the same thing. Any more than US$ vx. CAD. Behind the award price you see is a real dollar cost to the ticket.

What you see is neither unusual not optically bad.
Old Jan 16, 19, 3:03 pm

I redeemed BA Avios for BKK-HKG in CX J. The cost was 15k Avios*. Would have cost me 22.5k Avios on AS for identical flights.
Apparently you missed CX J in my post. CX means Cathay Pacific. J means business class. Cathay Pacific does indeed fly Bangkok-Hong Kong and has a partnership with both British Airways and Alaska Airlines.

This is to say I paid less miles using British Airways Avios than had I used Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan for the exact same flights. Just like the original poster is observing.

Anything else I can help clear up for you?
You said "Would have cost me 22.5k Avios on AS for identical flights." Maybe you meant 22.5k AS Miles? Avios can't be spent to book a CX flight through AS.
Old Jan 16, 19, 3:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, NEXUS, Mooney driver
Go ask the CX forum how they feel about how many Asia Miles (100,000-110,000) are required for a SEA-HKG F award compared to AS miles (70,000).
Old Jan 16, 19, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Single_Flyer View Post
You said "Would have cost me 22.5k Avios on AS for identical flights." Maybe you meant 22.5k AS Miles? Avios can't be spent to book a CX flight through AS.
Yes, I mean what I said subsequently: "This is to say I paid less miles using British Airways Avios than had I used Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan for the exact same flights. "

Originally Posted by sturges View Post
Go ask the CX forum how they feel about how many Asia Miles (100,000-110,000) are required for a SEA-HKG F award compared to AS miles (70,000).
Yeah, programs are free to set their own redemption values. AS changed it so 25k won't buy saver F on all flights.

Search this Thread