Last flight of the day Cancelled?

Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas FF Bronze
Last flight of the day Cancelled?

**edited post**

Hello,

Thought I would ask here for any 'first-hand' experiences;

In a few weeks I am flying from Australia to SFO with Qantas then connecting to Portland, OR with Alaska Airlines.
These flights were booked as part of a Qantas Rewards ticket.

The flight to Portland is the last scheduled AS flight out of SFO for the day.
If for some reason that flight is cancelled, will I need to pay for overnight accommodation or will the Alaska Airlines provide accommodation; or since I bought the ticket through Qantas, is Alaska not 'responsible' (for lack of a better word) ?

Going by the flight's recent history cancellations are very rare so I don't expect there will be any problems, but would like to be prepared just in case.

Cheers.

Last edited by Adam1; Jan 18, 2019 at 1:54 am
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Adam1
Hello,

In a few weeks I am flying from Australia to LAX with Qantas then connecting to Portland, OR with Alaska Airlines.

The flight to Portland is the last scheduled AS flight out of LAX for the day.
If for some reason that flight is cancelled, will I need to pay for overnight accommodation or will the Alaska Airlines provide accommodation; or since I bought the ticket through Qantas, is Alaska not 'responsible' (for lack of a better word) ?

Going by the flight's recent history cancellations are very rare so I don't expect there will be any problems, but would like to be prepared just in case.

Cheers.
Are there any later flights via SEA? LAX-SEA-PDX. Not sure of your dates/times so it is hard to determine if alternate routings may work. The cause of any cancellation will have an affect too. If it is weather related, you will be accommodated on the next possible flight(s) but hotel & food will be at your expense.

James
Old Jan 17, 2019, 2:57 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Hello,

In a few weeks I am flying from Australia to LAX with Qantas then connecting to Portland, OR with Alaska Airlines.

The flight to Portland is the last scheduled AS flight out of LAX for the day.

Cheers.
Since you are most likely coming from MEL and that flight arrives early evening, American Airlines usually has a later flight which today, for instance, leaves at 925PM arriving 11:55PM. If you are late and it is QF's fault, then they could get you on the American flight if there is space. If you are on time and the flight cancels for mechanical reasons, you should be covered. If it is weather--you have to generally get your own hotel. Before your departure, check to see what other airlines have flights that could work for you. It is always better to feed options to whomever is working to rebook you rather than to leaving it up to the customer service agent. S/he could always refuse but knowing your options makes it easier to argue for what you want and get you on your way.
pcoll, Often1 and jsguyrus like this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Flying For Fun, sfozrhfco - Thank you both for your replies and information provided.
Interesting to know and helps confirm my earlier thoughts.

For some reason I had 'LAX' on the brain. I'm actually flying into SFO.

Having a quick look through the schedules and it seems that United Airlines are the only airline who have a later flight.
I assume AS would not move me onto a UA flight.
Alaska's remaining flight for the day via SEA will require an overnight stay there, so I again assume I won't be moved to that flight.

I'll research some airport hotels that fit my budget and will set up Uber and Lyft accounts just for the unlikely event I'll need to stay the night at SFO.

Thanks again. ^
Old Jan 17, 2019, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Flying For Fun, sfozrhfco - Thank you both for your replies and information provided.
Interesting to know and helps confirm my earlier thoughts.

For some reason I had 'LAX' on the brain. I'm actually flying into SFO.

Having a quick look through the schedules and it seems that United Airlines are the only airline who have a later flight.
Alaska's remaining flight for the day via SEA will require an overnight stay there, so I again assume I won't be moved to that flight.

I'll research some airport hotels that fit my budget and will set up Uber and Lyft accounts just for the unlikely event I'll need to stay the night at SFO.

Thanks again. ^
Might want to edit your first post and change LAX to SFO.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Depends on the cause of the misconnect. AS can rebook onto UA. They did it for me last month.
Adam1 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by philemer
Might want to edit your first post and change LAX to SFO.
Thanks, done.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 1:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Depends on the cause of the misconnect. AS can rebook onto UA. They did it for me last month.
Interesting. Thanks for that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.