2019 Hiring Plans at AS

Old Jan 15, 19, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, New Sagaya
2019 Hiring Plans at AS

Alaska shared it's hiring plans for 2019: 3,000 new hires and mostly frontline staff. More from AS blog:

https://blog.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...ast/#more-9957

https://www.seattlepi.com/news/artic...r-13534034.php
Old Jan 15, 19, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Sounds like the airline is rapidly deteriorating into oblivion!
Oh, sorry, I was confusing this thread with 100 others.
jinglish, ashill, mbluecpa and 9 others like this.
Old Jan 20, 19, 6:06 pm
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: Too many to list
3000 new jobs is a negative??
Old Jan 20, 19, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by philemer View Post
Old Jan 20, 19, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The company employed about 8,500 people in California, Oregon and Alaska in 2017, with a total nationwide workforce of 21,300.
If aircraft numbers, routes, miles flown, passengers numbers are not growing at a reasonable rate this indicates employees (say 2800?) are jumping ship/retiring. These are more likley experienced employees. 3,000 vs 21,300 is a lot.
But with airlines the number of people who are working for subcontractor vs direct employees can be very blurred.
Old Jan 20, 19, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, New Sagaya
Their job listings for Seattle have a half dozen or so software/UX type jobs. Seems there is some investment in developing new tools.
Eurynom0s and jjmadison like this.
Old Jan 20, 19, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by williwaw View Post
Their job listings for Seattle have a half dozen or so software/UX type jobs. Seems there is some investment in developing new tools.
Maybe. They have a hub in the tech capital of the world, and home base in what is probably #2 , and from a customer perspective they still seem pretty under-invested in systems.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Jan 20, 19, 7:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by PWMTrav View Post
Maybe. They have a hub in the tech capital of the world, and home base in what is probably #2 , and from a customer perspective they still seem pretty under-invested in systems.
As many of us got all too intimately familiar with during the recent Airbus seat renumbering fiasco...on one BOS-LAX flight I was sitting next to a 75K who even got caught up in it with zero warning until he was on the plane and realized that he wasn't in an exit row like he'd book (he'd declined his first class upgrade because he was traveling with someone who was "only" MVP who wasn't going to clear her upgrade). And he'd paid money to guarantee the exit row seats and still got hosed! It's not like he got a free upgrade and then had it taken away.

For myself, I'd booked old 4D, then got shunted to the back of the bus, and then literally standing at the gate after frantically checking the app all weekend managed to get myself into IIRC new 10D...so only a couple of rows behind where I'd been initially, but a VERY stressful leadup to that. I'm pretty sure it had to be 10D given that my seatmate was surprised that he wasn't sitting in an exit row.

P.S. Apparently even as an MVP I fly too much because I saw the guy on the same flight across the first class aisle back on New Year's Day (guess it's good to fly on weird days because I actually cleared my first class upgrade for their single nonstop from BOS-LAX .)
Old Jan 21, 19, 1:13 am

Programs: AS G75K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
Any expansive hiring plan is a good sign to the local economy, and regardless of whether the hiring is intended to replace turnovers, it shows AS is committed to executing its business plan and its growth.
Old Jan 21, 19, 1:17 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, SPG LT Platinum, UA SIlver, VX eleVAte Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by BW Flyer View Post

Any expansive hiring plan is a good sign to the local economy, and regardless of whether the hiring is intended to replace turnovers, it shows AS is committed to executing its business plan and its growth.
If 4,000 people getting relative high pay leave/retire and they hire 3,000 people getting minimum wage to replace them, then it is not going to be a net benefit for the economy. It all comes down to the details. The announcement is vague in that they did not promise to increase the total headcount by 3,000. They make a similar announcement every year as airline front line employees often turn over quite frequently--especially when the economy is good. Never hurts to let people know that you are hiring when you need a large number of new people each year.
Old Jan 21, 19, 5:51 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco View Post
If 4,000 people getting relative high pay leave/retire and they hire 3,000 people getting minimum wage to replace them, then it is not going to be a net benefit for the economy. It all comes down to the details. The announcement is vague in that they did not promise to increase the total headcount by 3,000. They make a similar announcement every year as airline front line employees often turn over quite frequently--especially when the economy is good. Never hurts to let people know that you are hiring when you need a large number of new people each year.
Unless the majority of the 3000 leaving are retiring, which is highly unlikely, you should assume they will likely to find other jobs at equal or higher pay. I don't think it is that likely that somebody would leave without next job mostly secured, unless they are laid off. So I would say for the society, it is more likely that the total employed ppl count increased. Total pay is another story though...
Old Jan 21, 19, 6:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott LT Gold
More likely they are trying to backfill talent lost to Seattle/Bellevue companies that pay more...
dmodemd and PWMTrav like this.
Old Jan 21, 19, 6:44 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA View Post
More likely they are trying to backfill talent lost to Seattle/Bellevue companies that pay more...
When I tried applying for an AS software engineer position right after I moved to Seattle, the site rejected me because I truthfully answered no when I said I didn't have 4+ years of experience working specifically with C#/.NET--never mind that I have about seven years of Java experience. It's like they're not even trying.
Old Jan 22, 19, 11:15 am

Programs: AS 75K,AA Plat, UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott Tit, Hyatt Glb, Accors Plt, Natl Exec, Avis PC
Will they finally fix all the upgrade processor bugs??
Old Jan 22, 19, 12:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
I'm up for retirement in 2020 so I'm hoping this will leak into 2020 and 2021. I don't think I'll HAVE to work unless the stock market tanks significantly. But I'll want to keep busy. A friend of mine did this, as a CSR for a couple of years, and then moved to inflight. He's quite content. Retirees are great employees if they're taking pensions. They don't need an 80K salary. Most will just want some insurance and some perks.
williwaw and Flying for Fun like this.

Search this Thread