AS Award flight question

Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
AS Award flight question

I am sure that, buried somewhere in the AS thread, there is already an answer to my question, but here goes:

I am flying a BA award BRU-LHR-DEN-SEA-ANC in early April. The legs are J-F-F-PE. I am on the waitlist for the SEA-ANC flight. Where does the SEA-ANC class fall in the hierarchy for the upgrade? The AS site says "Waitlist-Main" and the AS fare chart says it is booked into fare bucket D (or maybe A).
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by BOB W
I am sure that, buried somewhere in the AS thread, there is already an answer to my question, but here goes:

I am flying a BA award BRU-LHR-DEN-SEA-ANC in early April. The legs are J-F-F-PE. I am on the waitlist for the SEA-ANC flight. Where does the SEA-ANC class fall in the hierarchy for the upgrade? The AS site says "Waitlist-Main" and the AS fare chart says it is booked into fare bucket D (or maybe A).
A is the F saver award bucket, and D is the full-fare F award, so you're probably remembering the fare bucket from the DEN-SEA segment. It'd have to be a saver economy award, so W, which would put you at the bottom of the 75Ks on the upgrade list.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jinglish
A is the F saver award bucket, and D is the full-fare F award, so you're probably remembering the fare bucket from the DEN-SEA segment. It'd have to be a saver economy award, so W, which would put you at the bottom of the 75Ks on the upgrade list.
0 F seats assigned now so I will keep my fingers crossed and set an alert.

Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I was in W on the AS segment for a recent partner award. The reason we are in PE is because of status seating, not because of award level. I would keep checking for A space on that segment as well as F space for LHR SEA.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Does AS consider someone seated in coach on a paid (award) first class ticket to be needing an upgrade to first or just a reassignment (whatever the correct terminology is)? Are they really just upgrading like someone on a coach ticket? I know that on AA, this wouldn't be considered an upgrade but would be cleared into F before upgrades clear. It seems unreasonable me to consider someone who has paid for first class but is seated in economy to be treated like a coach upgrader.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:16 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by ashill
Does AS consider someone seated in coach on a paid (award) first class ticket to be needing an upgrade to first or just a reassignment (whatever the correct terminology is)? Are they really just upgrading like someone on a coach ticket? I know that on AA, this wouldn't be considered an upgrade but would be cleared into F before upgrades clear. It seems unreasonable me to consider someone who has paid for first class but is seated in economy to be treated like a coach upgrader.
With AS, you're at the mercy of the upgrade waitlist with everyone else, even if all your other segments are in premium cabins. One thing that can help is that AS seems to have an unpublicized policy of allowing a free change into the higher cabin when space opens up as long as the ticket is booked at that level, even for non-Golds/75Ks; I just had this happen to me a couple of months ago on a JL J award, where I moved SFO-HND from Y to J after having already booked another JL segment in J. But you have to watch the award space yourself.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I was in W on the AS segment for a recent partner award. The reason we are in PE is because of status seating, not because of award level. I would keep checking for A space on that segment as well as F space for LHR SEA.
I am flying LHR-DEN-SEA, already in F. It is the SEA-ANC segment that is in question.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashill
Those are the $64,000 questions. The answer is still not clear. Paging missydarlin.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am flying LHR-DEN-SEA, already in F. It is the SEA-ANC segment that is in question.
Got that - but was just making a suggestion to keep checking for LHR/SEA nonstop to avoid a connection.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those are the $64,000 questions. The answer is still not clear. Paging missydarlin.
My understanding is clear, although maybe I'm mistaken.

You've got a ticket which entitles you to A space on the AS segments, if and only if, A is available. AS will not waitlist you for A. But AS will put you in A if A becomes available. If A never becomes available, you end up on your regular upgrade waitlist on discounted economy fares, and subject to the U gods at that point. In the unlikely event that A opens up but not U during those 100 hours, you'd be entitled to grab the A seat.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With AS, you're at the mercy of the upgrade waitlist with everyone else, even if all your other segments are in premium cabins. One thing that can help is that AS seems to have an unpublicized policy of allowing a free change into the higher cabin when space opens up as long as the ticket is booked at that level, even for non-Golds/75Ks; I just had this happen to me a couple of months ago on a JL J award, where I moved SFO-HND from Y to J after having already booked another JL segment in J. But you have to watch the award space yourself.
Yes, but it isn't really a free "change." You've already paid for an award that includes the premium cabin seat.
The "weak link" is that AS will not WL for A. If AS wants a "no cost" perk for elite pax, it could be to permit WL for A space. (There is a cost in that other pax who just want to redeem their awards for the domestic AS flights wouldn't potentialy be able to burn miles on those flights if they got the seats prior to us, keeping the mileage balance sheet higher.)
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: AS
We are flying BA F on AS award in March and our final segment was originally booked to Y. Booked April 2018.
LHR-DEN- BA First - DEN-SEA -AS -Y.
Just recently received email that our DEN-SEA segment was upgraded to First. Just had to select seats. So, it is possible it may show up sometime.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.