Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Continued issues with East Coast equipment going mechanical

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold

Flew out of BOS yesterday. BOS-SFO equipment N843VA went MX and cancelled. Now N843VA seems stranded in BOS. Looks like it was going to be ferried to JFK, but that didn't even happen. Seems like this and the BUF incident this week might lead to some changes? Maybe?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
I'm struggling to imagine what kind of changes would prevent aircraft from having mechanical problems at outstations from time to time.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by discoverCSG
I'm struggling to imagine what kind of changes would prevent aircraft from having mechanical problems at outstations from time to time.
Not flying to outstations.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:34 pm

We understand each other.

Originally Posted by fly18725

Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly18725
Hey, that's a change! I was vague for a reason.
If AS is resolved to chalk it up to stats and not do anything, so be it. In less than a week they had 2 planes at BOS go MX and become unavailable for a few days (not to mention the need for IRROPs management and likely compensation of passengers). Maybe something changes, maybe not...

Last edited by DrAlex; Jan 13, 2019 at 8:19 pm
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Obvious answer. No more airbus to east coast.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by CDKing
Obvious answer. No more airbus to east coast.
That is the plan of record, isn’t it? Eventually once everyone is cross trained and qualified and the cabins are standardized the 739s and 321s are used transcon to optimize CASM for those flights?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: AS 75k, SEA-BOS expert level 2000
A couple of my Boston flights in 2019 have switched to Airbuses so we'll see how that goes. I haven't been to Billings in the winter for airbus gas so that'll be fun.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spiffieman
A couple of my Boston flights in 2019 have switched to Airbuses so we'll see how that goes. I haven't been to Billings in the winter for airbus gas so that'll be fun.
321s, 319s, and sharklet 320s have the range to avoid Billings, SLC, DEN, etc (at least as a fuel stop). Keep your fingers crossed for those.

Last edited by DrAlex; Jan 13, 2019 at 8:23 pm
Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DrAlex
Hey, that's a change! I was vague for a reason.
If AS is resolved to chalk it up to stats and not do anything, so be it. In less than a week they had 2 planes at BOS go MX and become unavailable for a few days (not to mention the need for IRROPPs management and likely compensation of passengers). Maybe something changes, maybe not...
I don't know what you think they're going to do...

An east coast base? Doubt it - bases are set by passenger demand and crew/frame efficiency needs.

More flights? Doubt it - capacity is set by demand at adequate prices.

Fire somebody? That won't lead to immediate improvement in outstation maintenance capabilities.

Two MX in a fleet of ~230 mainline aircraft isn't particularly meaningful. Look at DOT reports on rates of cancellation. AA cancelled 676 mainline flights in the month of October '18.

https://www.transportation.gov/sites...-2018-atcr.pdf

If you want to argue that Alaska's service recovery - apology/hotels/food vouchers/compensation - is stingy, that's a different issue.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I don't know what you think they're going to do...
I don't know either, my question was fairly rhetorical. I'm only a Tin Level Flyer Talk Operations Manager™. Hoping to achieve Stainless Steel next year. AS sure doesn't have any intentions of reducing Airbii flights to BOS soon - looking forward in the schedule a bit, the redeye from SEA turns into an Airbii in the spring and both SFO flights turn into Airbii instead of one.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
If you want to argue that Alaska's service recovery - apology/hotels/food vouchers/compensation - is stingy, that's a different issue.
I'll have to get back to you on that in a couple days after I speak with Customer Care
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Looks like the “rescue” flight will be leaving this morning at 9AM.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Spiffieman
BOS-LAX seems to have been moved to A321 if that helps you at all.
Spiffieman likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
When you fly transcons on an airline with no base / infrastructure east of Interstate 5, getting stuck at eastern outstations is part of the risk you accept. The mechanicals, I don't know what they can do about; they happen to every airline, and AS is not going to park a spare at Logan waiting for something to go wrong. The dismaying slow and stupid response to the BUF diversion a few days ago was something else again. Alaska doesn't seem to have go-to plans for dealing with distant service / pax care emergencies.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:27 am

PDX is a couple miles east of I-5.

Originally Posted by BearX220
When you fly transcons on an airline with no base / infrastructure east of Interstate 5, getting stuck at eastern outstations is part of the risk you accept. The mechanicals, I don't know what they can do about; they happen to every airline, and AS is not going to park a spare at Logan waiting for something to go wrong. The dismaying slow and stupid response to the BUF diversion a few days ago was something else again. Alaska doesn't seem to have go-to plans for dealing with distant service / pax care emergencies.
osubeavers01 and bmvaughn like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.