Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Finally, a true competitor to Alaska transcon F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat

United is deploying a 787-10 on LAX-EWR as scheduled service, with 21 domestic F style Premium Plus seats. Will be interesting to see how AS prices LAX-JFK transcon F on this route.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/09/unit...travelers.html
milypan likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I thought it was just a temporary route for familiarization and then move it to long haul routes? I assume pricing will be more along with that premium plus since its basically a domestic first product. Currently premium plus is being sold as economy but that will change I assume since it also has the standard extra legroom product

Last edited by CDKing; Jan 9, 2019 at 3:48 pm
Old Jan 9, 2019, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SFOPeter
United is deploying a 787-10 on LAX-EWR as scheduled service, with 21 domestic F style Premium Plus seats.
Those seats are sold as regular Economy Plus, not as a separate class of service. UA offers no PE fares on domestic routes.

Will be interesting to see how AS prices LAX-JFK transcon F on this route.
Too high given the product, as they do already.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 4:43 pm

To some extent, JetBlue's "Mint" product was already a "true" competitor to AS F on the transcons, although I well realize that their transcon route maps don't overlap entirely.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:14 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing

I thought it was just a temporary route for familiarization and then move it to long haul routes? I assume pricing will be more along with that premium plus since its basically a domestic first product. Currently premium plus is being sold as economy but that will change I assume since it also has the standard extra legroom product
Correct, but UA does offer enhanced experience from EWR to LAX and SFO. Believe BOS is coming into the mix as well.

And yes, Mint offers lie flat up front.

That said, it's possible that UA will continue to use some 787 frames to reposition from one coast to the other, but once 78X (787-10) will fly from EWR to Europe in a couple of months or so will most likely not be seen on TCONs. Though one does not know how much time will remain between TATL turns, but likely to IAH or ORD, as West Coast run just takes too long.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't understand the "finally" part. UA is late to the game here.

AA has Flagship First
DL has Delta One
JetBlue has Mint

The thread title makes it sound like AS just went from 1st to 2nd. More like, they just went from 3rd to 4th, or from 4th to more clearly 4th.

It's not just F either. Y+ on AA transcon is MUCH better than on AS.

AS is kind of middle of the road here. They are not quite as bad as Spirit or Southwest, but they are also nowhere near AA, DL, B6, or, now, UA.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler

They are not quite as bad as Spirit or Southwest, but they are also nowhere near AA, DL, B6, or, now, UA.
Ehm, UA has had lie flat seats up front for ages on (now) EWR-SFO/LAX (JFK prior to exiting JFK to go All EWR and also keep LGA @:-)

Of course on a 777 it was mostly 2x4x2 configuration in Biz, and they are still using than on the domestic config 777s IIRC.

AA is the only that still offers true 1st in addition to Biz IIRC.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Ehm, UA has had lie flat seats up front for ages on (now) EWR-SFO/LAX (JFK prior to exiting JFK to go All EWR and also keep LGA @:-)

Of course on a 777 it was mostly 2x4x2 configuration in Biz, and they are still using than on the domestic config 777s IIRC.

Ok then.

So... AS continues to be in 5th place?

I don't understand what this thread is about.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:24 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by EmailKid

Ok then.

So... AS continues to be in 5th place?

I don't understand what this thread is about.
Did you two even read the OP in full?
United is deploying a 787-10 on LAX-EWR as scheduled service, with 21 domestic F style Premium Plus seats.
SFOPeter and PABE like this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Seems like the thread is just sarcastic and fairly pointless. AS didn't have a competitive premium product on these premium routes and they won't have one any time in the near future. So unless it is just to point out that they are still overcharging for an inferior product, then I guess it is marginally related to AS.
bmvaughn likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jinglish
Did you two even read the OP in full?
I read it. What is F style premium plus? Sorry, I'm not up on all the airlines' marketing terms.

I can't tell if this is supposed to be tongue in cheek or if it's serious.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:35 pm

I read it. What is F style premium plus? Sorry, I'm not up on all the airlines' marketing terms.
I can't tell if this is supposed to be tongue in cheek or if it's serious.[
PE is what many European and especially Asian carriers have had for a long time on longhaul routes.

AA and DL saw the light, and now at LOOOOOOONG last, so has UA. It's similar to the old barcalounger Int'l Biz seat (that AA still has on some non retrofitted frames as Biz).

Price point in between coach and Biz, but UA cannot guarantee seats on most routes so many go to elites while paying coach prices. That will most likely change very soon.

Last edited by EmailKid; Jan 9, 2019 at 8:49 pm Reason: Fixed quote
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver

The premium economy seat is sold as economy plus on the plane.
The premium economy seat is similar (or better) than AS domestic F.
the pricing is like premium on AS.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:46 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum

It’s a product that is actually a differentiator and not just Y with 4 extra inches of legroom and a snack.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
True, AS F is inferior but Mint is unnecessary on a daytime flight most of the time. Red eye, certainly Mint is superior.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.