Money and miles ? - cancellation

Old Jan 8, 19, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold
Money and miles ? - cancellation

Can anyone please confirm if I book a money and miles ticket that it is cancellable with no penalties? I booked two tickets and my son has no status. The CSR said there would be a change fee but an article on TPG and the FAQ on Alaskas site contradicts what she was telling me.

thanks!
Old Jan 8, 19, 6:39 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by bosca418 View Post
Can anyone please confirm if I book a money and miles ticket that it is cancellable with no penalties? I booked two tickets and my son has no status. The CSR said there would be a change fee but an article on TPG and the FAQ on Alaskas site contradicts what she was telling me.

thanks!
I'd trust the Alaska agent or what you see written on the website for your specific fare vs something you read on a blog. I don't believe there's anything inherent about the Money & Miles tickets that makes them exempt from change or cancellation fees. The only thing I can think of is if you select the "unrestricted" search option, which shows you full Y fares with a discount for using your miles (at a fairly poor redemption rate) off of the full Y fare price. If you use the Money and Miles for a lower, non-refundable fare, I believe all standard fare rules would apply.
bosca418 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 19, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area) and near LAX (El Segundo CA)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
OP’s profile says 75K — I think the following will apply
  • for OP’s ticket — My Wallet credit for the amount paid, and miles returned
  • for son’s ticket — credit (probably email with voucher and PIN) for the amount paid less $125 fee, and miles returned (presumably to OP’s account)
Old Jan 8, 19, 7:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
  • for sonís ticket ó credit (probably email with voucher and PIN) for the amount paid less $125 fee, and miles returned (presumably to OPís account)
Actually for the sons ticket I think you have to pay an additional $125, then you get the full amount of the ticket returned to your account.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jan 8, 19, 8:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, NEXUS, Cessna Gold
Usually when miles originate in an gold/75k account, it waives change fees. Not sure if this applies to miles+money tickets though.
Old Jan 8, 19, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area) and near LAX (El Segundo CA)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by jsguyrus View Post
Actually for the sons ticket I think you have to pay an additional $125, then you get the full amount of the ticket returned to your account.
while you describe a different mechanism, the net result is the same
Old Jan 8, 19, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA, AS Gold 75K, BA, QF, SQ, Marriott Platinum Premiere
Originally Posted by sturges View Post
Usually when miles originate in an gold/75k account, it waives change fees. Not sure if this applies to miles+money tickets though.
This only applies to award bookings.

James