FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Money and miles ? - cancellation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1950001-money-miles-cancellation.html)

bosca418 Jan 8, 2019 6:31 pm

Money and miles ? - cancellation

Can anyone please confirm if I book a money and miles ticket that it is cancellable with no penalties? I booked two tickets and my son has no status. The CSR said there would be a change fee but an article on TPG and the FAQ on Alaskas site contradicts what she was telling me.

thanks!

be_rettSEA Jan 8, 2019 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by bosca418 (Post 30629788)
Can anyone please confirm if I book a money and miles ticket that it is cancellable with no penalties? I booked two tickets and my son has no status. The CSR said there would be a change fee but an article on TPG and the FAQ on Alaskas site contradicts what she was telling me.

thanks!

I'd trust the Alaska agent or what you see written on the website for your specific fare vs something you read on a blog. I don't believe there's anything inherent about the Money & Miles tickets that makes them exempt from change or cancellation fees. The only thing I can think of is if you select the "unrestricted" search option, which shows you full Y fares with a discount for using your miles (at a fairly poor redemption rate) off of the full Y fare price. If you use the Money and Miles for a lower, non-refundable fare, I believe all standard fare rules would apply.

jrl767 Jan 8, 2019 7:28 pm

OP’s profile says 75K — I think the following will apply
  • for OP’s ticket — My Wallet credit for the amount paid, and miles returned
  • for son’s ticket — credit (probably email with voucher and PIN) for the amount paid less $125 fee, and miles returned (presumably to OP’s account)

jsguyrus Jan 8, 2019 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767 (Post 30629944)
  • for son’s ticket — credit (probably email with voucher and PIN) for the amount paid less $125 fee, and miles returned (presumably to OP’s account)

Actually for the sons ticket I think you have to pay an additional $125, then you get the full amount of the ticket returned to your account.

PABE Jan 8, 2019 8:09 pm

Usually when miles originate in an gold/75k account, it waives change fees. Not sure if this applies to miles+money tickets though.

jrl767 Jan 8, 2019 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by jsguyrus (Post 30630022)
Actually for the sons ticket I think you have to pay an additional $125, then you get the full amount of the ticket returned to your account.

while you describe a different mechanism, the net result is the same

Flying for Fun Jan 8, 2019 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by sturges (Post 30630067)
Usually when miles originate in an gold/75k account, it waives change fees. Not sure if this applies to miles+money tickets though.

This only applies to award bookings.

James