Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines flight diversion leads to a 30-hour nightmare for passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines flight diversion leads to a 30-hour nightmare for passengers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:22 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I'm wondering how Alaska did a "rescue" flight BUF-BOS? And why....
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
I'm wondering how Alaska did a "rescue" flight BUF-BOS? ....
mentioned upthread ... they commandeered the jet (not sure about crew) that flew SFO-BNA, deadheaded to BUF, and flew the “rescue” leg to BOS
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
yes there have been more than a few unscheduled fuel stops due to headwinds, and yes there have been maintenance issues that have led to delays and cancellations and diversions, but to that sort of generalization

I tried to google it but didn't come up. Can you tell me when another major US airline (AA, UA, DL) stuck passengers in an airport overnight and did not allow them to leave?
Unless are you telling me "unable to leave airport" has a different meaning?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
But it also appears Alaska has nobody on-call at night, so nobody to authorize anything...
That’s difficult to understand, if correct.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:43 pm
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Flight out of BUF was at 3:45 am, so had they left they would have had to reclear TSA at 2:30 or 3am. I guarantee no checkpoints open or staffed at that small airport at that time. I'm sure they were told you can't get back in and will be left here.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Fredd

That’s difficult to understand, if correct.
Originally Posted by Lehava
Flight out of BUF was at 3:45 am, so had they left they would have had to reclear TSA at 2:30 or 3am. I guarantee no checkpoints open or staffed at that small airport at that time. I'm sure they were told you can't get back in and will be left here.
And I would've said fine, I'm gone. I'll find my own way back.

And I'm sure many others on FT would have as well. But are 150 passengers so clueless that they feel obligated to spend the night in the airport?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jrl767

uh, that was the divert on Saturday (5 Jan)

it went BUF-JFK on Mon night and is currently scheduled JFK-LAX as AS1413 on Tue night

The blue highlight was unintended. I was referring to the diverted to JFK at the top. But that's apparently due to FlightRadar24 thinking it's still intended for BUF-LAX I guess. I see that future AS1413 on Flight Aware but not FR24.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold

And I'm sure many others on FT would have as well. But are 150 passengers so clueless that they feel obligated to spend the night in the airport?
This is my question. Unless police/TSA were physically stopping people from leaving the airport... this is exactly the sort of thing travel insurance is for. Big thumbs down for how AS handled this in addition, Do they not have people working at corperate what would have been around midnight west coast time?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:23 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Not exactly apples to apples, but I can buy an 11:45am flight tomorrow from BUF-LAX for $271....
Old Jan 8, 2019, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by williwaw
Not exactly apples to apples, but I can buy an 11:45am flight tomorrow from BUF-LAX for $271....
Yes, exactly, this. I think that people have too much respect for people in perceived positions of authority. I'm going to spend a night in an airport because some airport employee says that I "have to"? Not in this lifetime.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:05 am

Programs: Delta Diamond , Marriott Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, American Airlines Gold
I probably would have bailed too — but part of that would depend on the baggage situation. If you had checked bags (thinking the couple with the cats, probably the student returning home), I’d be weary about ever seeing my stuff again if I left and rebooked a new flight out of BUF the next morning. I don’t know policies on this but I could see AS saying that by not waiting, you abandoned your belongings or something.

(That said, I did once get stuck in DFW because of snow (!) and opted to drive to Austin with some dudes I met in the airport rather than take a flight the next day, and the airline still got my bags to me. But that wasn’t a situation where I left a closed airport and I was able to tell the ground crew what I was doing.)

Whaf I don’t understand is why AS didn’t proactively try to book pax on other airlines out of BUF or even BOS. Because with what they are going to be stuck paying out (I agree with the poster that said $1000 in funny money is laughable for this kind of situation), it def. would have been cheaper.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
What would other airlines do?

Back in the old days of Southwest (about 25 years ago), I had a friend flying from Dallas to El Paso, and the plane (in mid flight) made an unscheduled diversion to Amarillo to pick up stranded passengers (sounds like a Waylon Jennings song), and everyone on the plane took it in good spirits to help out the stranded Amarillo passengers.... Of course, Southwest's routes back then were like a bus. Most airlines probably don't have that flexibility anymore, including Southwest.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by film_girl
What I don’t understand is why AS didn’t proactively try to book pax on other airlines out of BUF or even BOS... it def. would have been cheaper.
I expect the contract AS workers @ BOS are forbidden to book over to other carriers, even semi-frenemies like AA. I was stuck at Logan myself during a snow event a couple of years ago, my BOS-SEA cancelled, and the AS staff flatly refused to book me over to one of several other airlines operating on time. Became a frustrating 24-hour delay.

This is the inherent risk with flying Alaska to distant outstations with low frequencies. In irrops there is no bounce-back capacity and IME no inventiveness / flexibility / customer-first mindset.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:28 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Since they only quoted a couple passengers, who sounded like infrequent travelers, we don't know all 150 stayed.

Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Honestly I probably would have stayed at the airport too. The passengers were probably told a rescue plane was on the way, and I would have assumed it would then take me to LAX. No way would I guess that I was headed back to BOS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.