Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Why Does AS App Not Book GGUs? (App Not Able to Store/Retrieve/Apply Codes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum

A lot of people here seem to love the AS app, but I find it quirky at best and out of date in a lot of areas

First and foremost, it knows about every type of upgrade *except* for Gold Guest Upgrades. Why won't it sell those??
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Perhaps because one cannot apply them thru the app, and it would require some engineering to allow this.

I'd rather have efforts focused on allowing SQ awards first
icelandman2 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:15 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
To sell GGU fares, the app would also need to be able to store/retrieve the GGU codes and allow you to apply them in a timely manner, which it currently doesn't/can't.
DrAlex likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by beckoa
It's certainly a race between the Sun becoming a red giant by exhausting hydrogen burning and AS adding SQ awards. Well over a year now. I suspect they'll add AM awards first.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I’d like the app (iPhone, at least) to actually use the “Remember Me” check box so I don’t have to log in every time I want to complete a purchase
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jrl767
I’d like the app (iPhone, at least) to actually use the “Remember Me” check box so I don’t have to log in every time I want to complete a purchase
Hey, it's not like iOS has ways to securely store password credentials or credit card information like TouchID or FaceID, amirite?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA GS; Former Alaska MVPG75/DL Diamond/NW Platinum/BA Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It's certainly a race between the Sun becoming a red giant by exhausting hydrogen burning and AS adding SQ awards. Well over a year now. I suspect they'll add AM awards first.
Early front-runner for post of the year!

I wish they would do something with the app... the improvements since 2009 have been glacial. Native iPad resolution support would be a nice (small) start.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Originally Posted by Manoa Chris
Early front-runner for post of the year!

I wish they would do something with the app... the improvements since 2009 have been glacial. Native iPad resolution support would be a nice (small) start.
Yes, because if there's anything missing in my life, it's the ability to hold my iPad PRO up at the gate to scan my boarding pass.
#KeepingupwiththeKardashians

All joking aside, I agree with above posters who said BRING US THE SQ AWARDS YOU PROMISED about two weeks after Noah let the giraffes off the barge.
williwaw likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Perhaps because one cannot apply them thru the app, and it would require some engineering to allow this.

Lol. Yes, of course the reason it's not in the app is because they haven't bothered to code it.

My point was: How come Alaska basically stopped adding features to the app about four years ago??

And I'd be surprised if Mobile app developers are working on partner awards. Hopefully they are working on automatically bringing itineraries booked elsewhere into the app.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:02 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I’m with ya. Heck, it would be great if the app allowed to you remove or hide reservations.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Lol. Yes, of course the reason it's not in the app is because they haven't bothered to code it.

My point was: How come Alaska basically stopped adding features to the app about four years ago??

[...]
App last updated January 9th, 2019.

Do you have the latest version?

James
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
“small tweaks and fixes” (sic) =/= “better or more useful functionality”
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Yes I have the latest version.

Change flights has been there for a year. Most of the times I have tried it, it has failed and causes problems. So I stick to calling.

Sharing my itinerary with friends via my favorite apps? Please. What a waste of time.

And to the person who wants to delete trips from the app, just swipe left on it on the Trips list....
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Yes I have the latest version.

Change flights has been there for a year. Most of the times I have tried it, it has failed and causes problems. So I stick to calling.

Sharing my itinerary with friends via my favorite apps? Please. What a waste of time.

And to the person who wants to delete trips from the app, just swipe left on it on the Trips list....
If you book a reservation for someone else while logged in to your Alaska account, it’s added to YOUR list of future reservations with no way to remove it until the flight is completed.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Do you not get "remove" as an option when you swipe left on it in the app???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.