Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The Fed shutdown and TSA lines. What’s your experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Please use the following template for reporting experiences:

Airport:
Terminal:
Time of day:
Approximate wait time for TSA id check/length of line:
TSA, Priority, Pre?:
Print Wikipost

The Fed shutdown and TSA lines. What’s your experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any recent reports from PDX? I'm flying out early tuesday and hoping not to show up even earlier than usual. I do have precheck, so as long as precheck lanes are open I'll probably be ok.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by chrisl137
Any recent reports from PDX? I'm flying out early tuesday and hoping not to show up even earlier than usual. I do have precheck, so as long as precheck lanes are open I'll probably be ok.
No recent PDX experience but the nationwide absence rate was 10% on Sunday. I wouldn't expect the bottom to fall out by tomorrow, but I would add a little extra time for a longer than normal wait at any airport with TSA employees doing the screening.

If this goes into next week there will be serious problems at airports.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Yes - I expect people will start walking off the job en masse soon. Most people's loyalty to their employer only goes so far - while some will have a lot of seniority and benefits built up, most people will jump ship to any paying work (security, temp job, etc.).

Hell, if it was me and I didn't have a lot of seniority built into the TSA - I'd be driving Uber. I wouldn't quit, I'd just stop showing up and make some money with a side gig. Maybe they fire me? Who's gonna replace me?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nearlysober
Yes - I expect people will start walking off the job en masse soon. Most people's loyalty to their employer only goes so far - while some will have a lot of seniority and benefits built up, most people will jump ship to any paying work (security, temp job, etc.).
This coming friday would/will be the second missed paycheck for most federal employees (coast guard seems to be on a different pay schedule). Given the fraction of americans who are basically living paycheck to paycheck, things could drop out fast if it becomes clear that the paycheck isn't coming and nobody comes up with a way to affordably cover people's missing paydays.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
If we really want to help, get involved! Support local efforts to help Federal and other employees impacted by this political standoff. Start a go fund to help a Federal employee you know. Stop worrying, stop griping and do something! If a TSA employee can afford to come to work because they are getting support from the rest of us, it will help. Mods....delete if you wish.
flatdawgs and williwaw like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:55 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by chrisl137
Pre was open at C & D when I was there last Thursday. It's not always open at both terminals after 6p, so that was a plus.

That being said, get there a little earlier. Early mornings are the busiest time at PDX and on a good day when everyone's being paid, the lines can be long.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tusphotog
That being said, get there a little earlier. Early mornings are the busiest time at PDX and on a good day when everyone's being paid, the lines can be long.
I pretty much only fly out of pdx on early weekday flights, and with pre have never had any wait more than a few minutes. If there's no pre because of short staff it will be more of a problem.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airport: PDX
terminal: C
time: 0500
time through line: less than 5 min
precheck.

it took all of about 8 minutes to get from the curb through security.

they had two precheck lanes open and moving fast. Regular didn't appear to have a long line, either.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:14 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by kileysmom
If we really want to help, get involved! Support local efforts to help Federal and other employees impacted by this political standoff. Start a go fund to help a Federal employee you know. Stop worrying, stop griping and do something! If a TSA employee can afford to come to work because they are getting support from the rest of us, it will help. Mods....delete if you wish.
Not to derail too much into a side conversation - but donating to food banks is a good way to help too if you're worried about the legitimacy of donating online. Obviously your food may not go directly to a Federal worker, but many of them are utilizing food banks - and regardless, it'll go to someone in need.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Not to be a party pooper but this thread is not Alaska Airlines specific and probably needs to move...
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nada of note these days….
In reply to the immediate, previous post.

Originally Posted by JPat
News story are popping up about delays getting thru airport security. A Seattle area News Media site quoted one unnamed source to plan on arriving five hours early!
If that is the situation this week our idea is to cancel our trip this Friday out of SEA.
What’s been your recent experience around Alaska Airlines network?
Please note your experiences here.
Thanks in advance,
JP
Actually my inquiry was specific to the Alaska Airlines network. I think I am on point.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Not to be a party pooper but this thread is not Alaska Airlines specific and probably needs to move...
I feel like it's appropriate to have it here since even at a single airport, not every security checkpoint will be affected the same, so I think it makes sense to have a separate place to discuss solely for people who've been through checkpoints at terminals Alaska actually uses.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Another datapoint for PDX. TSA precheck line was very short at 9am this morning despite airport travel having seemed to pick up (long term parking was full and the bag check lines were getting long). Interestingly, they seemed to be training someone at the precheck ID station. Not sure if it was a new employee or just someone who hadn’t been trained on the ID reader machine yet
Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
I just spoke with the TSA management person who is coordinating help for TSA staff here in Alaska. He explained the limits (no more than $50 for any one employee from any one person) and the agency's preference for how to help the staff.....this would apply anywhere but it's gift cards from big box stores particularly ones with gas stations attached like Fred Meyer because many of the staff are having trouble affording gas. Gift cards in $10 ad $20 amounts are most useful. It is best to get the cards and any non-perishable food or baby stuff etc. to their offices here in Anchorage rather than the airport as the staff there don't have time to manage donations and the TSA would much prefer that a pax not hand a gift to a staff member when going through the line for obvious reasons. OH, donations here in Anchorage may also be sent to other sites if there is a need.

He gave me more info and I'm happy to reply to any PM's with further details and this fellow's name, direct line, office address, etc. He will also coordinate perishables if someone wants to donate perishable food but it pretty much has to go to his office because airport staff including managers don't really have time to mess with perishable food.

I imagine the same is true for all AS airports....maybe we could do a list of offices and folks could just drop a gift card in the mail to the office for that airport?

This has to be a nightmare for these people but they are keeping us on the move!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Is the crunch about to arrive?

I’m thinking that with another zeroed out paycheck looming on Friday that the TSA labor pool is gonna get appreciably smaller in the days ahead as employees begin to seek out employment that actually pays....
Eurynom0s likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.