Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The Fed shutdown and TSA lines. Whats your experience?

Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Please use the following template for reporting experiences:

Airport:
Terminal:
Time of day:
Approximate wait time for TSA id check/length of line:
TSA, Priority, Pre?:
Print Wikipost

The Fed shutdown and TSA lines. Whats your experience?

Old Jan 18, 2019, 12:41 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
1/8 Phoenix 715a: No appreciable line in Precheck or regular.
1/9 Seattle 230p: Maybe 10-15 people in the precheck line at CP 4. Bypassed them with clear.
1/14 Phoenix 12p: I was the only person in the checkpoint with three lanes open.
1/17 Portland 6p: Two people in the regular checkpoint (D) and one ahead of me at Pre (D).
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:56 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
No Problem at EWR JAN. 18, 6:15 AM

Airport: EWR
Terminal: A
Time of day: FRI., Jan 18, 6:15 AM
Approximate wait time for TSA id check/length of line: 0 Min.
TSA PreCheck: 0 Min.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:32 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

1/14 SEA: No real line in Pre-check at 4 at 11 am.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: Four Seasons PP, RW Elite, Dorchester Diamond, Virtuoso, PenClub, Priv, Oetker Pearl, etc.
1/17
MSY
2:30pm
TSA PreCheck: 1 minute :-)
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
1/18
DCA
5 p.m.
TSA PreCheck: Maybe 5 minutes, start to finish

Of course given the clientele, they would keep DCA running even if they had to have the DHS secretary out here checking IDs herself...
williwaw and Eurynom0s like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 4:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Airport: SFO
Terminal: T2 and T3
Time of day: 2:30 PM
Approximate wait time for TSA id check/length of line: < 15 mins
TSA, Priority, Pre: PreCheck + Clear

Went to the Centurion lounge in T3 before my flight out of T2. Checkpoints at both terminals were either the same or slightly lighter than usual. No sign of any slowdowns from TSA sick-outs.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by missamo80
PreCheck was at checkpoint 4, not 5, and there was a healthy line. It was moving pretty quickly but I was glad I had Clear to cut it.
Originally Posted by sturges
1/16/19 - 7am - SEA
Arrived right as boarding started (as usual) and was greeted by the longest precheck line I've ever seen. The whole queue maze leading to the checkpoint was full including the premium line entrance.
EDIT: as missamo pointed out, why does Port of Seattle keep moving the precheck line between 4 & 5 every few months?
I went through SEA Checkpoint 4 Precheck on Mon 1/14 about noon and it was the longest line I ever experienced there but was through in about 15 minutes. Checkpoint 5 pre-check was gone so that seemed to contribute to the line. I was trying to get to N gates so it was a roundabout loop that irked me.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Anyone go through LAX in the last couple of days and if so did the staffing levels seem relatively normal? I have both Clear and GE, so I know I should be fine as long as they don't completely shut down the checkpoint, but I have an 8 AM flight (LAX-SEA-YVR) on Friday so I'm a little nervous about having to just jump awake and scoot to the airport without having time to first check if LAX is having a meltdown...and it's too early a flight for "just show up super duper early" to be particularly workable.

[edit] I know if you missed your flight over a long TSA security line you'd just be SOL, but does anyone have any idea what credit card travel insurance and/or airline policies would say regarding flights just straight up getting canceled over, say, an ATC strike?

Last edited by Eurynom0s; Jan 20, 2019 at 4:50 pm
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:42 pm

Things are going to start falling apart soon if nothing is done. Absences were the highest yet on Saturday. Up to this point TSA has been able to avoid scenes like ATL on Monday by flying agents to airports with more need and closing some lightly used checkpoints.

I wonder how they are paying for travel? Many essential employees are asked to charge travel to their personal cards during shutdowns.

Last edited by Aliquot; Jan 20, 2019 at 3:49 pm
Old Jan 20, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by Xrayman
Are TSA employees permitted to accept gift cards such as Starbucks???
Have an early morning flight out of SEA this coming week. I was thinking about maybe stopping by Krispy Kreme to pick up a box of donuts for the TSA folks. It would need to be "last night's donuts" though (due to early airport arrival time), so they would lose some of their Essence overnight. Would prefer to make the offering AFTER we've passed through the nudiscope but that may not be possible.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Have an early morning flight out of SEA this coming week. I was thinking about maybe stopping by Krispy Kreme to pick up a box of donuts for the TSA folks. It would need to be "last night's donuts" though (due to early airport arrival time), so they would lose some of their Essence overnight. Would prefer to make the offering AFTER we've passed through the nudiscope but that may not be possible.
They're definitely not allowed to take something like a gift card...even allowable-value gifts can cause problems for them in terms of potentially looking like they're waving people through security.

Not sure about something like doughnuts, though.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
What we need here is some ingenuity and disguise. Head to your local adult beverage store. Buy a case of inexpensive wine or maybe medium bottles of whisky/tequila/gin. Attempt to take it though security. Act like most people when called out on having multiple 3 oz+ containers (dumb). And then, just let em take it...
williwaw and Eurynom0s like this.

Last edited by DrAlex; Jan 20, 2019 at 6:45 pm
Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, New Sagaya
^^^💯💯💯
DrAlex likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DrAlex
What we need here is some ingenuity and disguise. Head to your local adult beverage store. Buy a case of inexpensive wine or maybe medium bottles of whisky/tequila/gin. Attempt to take it though security. Act like most people when called out on having multiple 3 oz+ containers (dumb). And then, just let em take it...
Except that it must be discarded. They can't keep it. It will bog down the queue be a waste of money.

James
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
SEA pre lines very long this morning. Airport is busy and obviously a mess right now so who knows. Was through Clear and security in a few minutes though.
Eurynom0s likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.