Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The Fed shutdown and TSA lines. What’s your experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Please use the following template for reporting experiences:

Airport:
Terminal:
Time of day:
Approximate wait time for TSA id check/length of line:
TSA, Priority, Pre?:
Print Wikipost

The Fed shutdown and TSA lines. What’s your experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton

Are airports like SFO even affected since they don’t use TSA screeners?
Was wondering this myself... they are a contractor however.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton

Are airports like SFO even affected since they don’t use TSA screeners?
That would depend on the contracting company. Mostly on the contractor's ability to weather delays in payments from their customer(s). For instance, if they have the reserves or ability to raise cash to make payroll, everything could roll on nominally with the contracting company acting as the buffer between Federal payments and their payroll checks.

We will see. I'll report on SFO soon.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Easy.

1/11 @ SEA appx 1:15PM used the northern gateway that leads to the trains & D gates. Appx five minutes from ID to examination.
i guess the slow week after 1/1 is minimizing the disruption for now.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaperGlider
That would depend on the contracting company. Mostly on the contractor's ability to weather delays in payments from their customer(s). For instance, if they have the reserves or ability to raise cash to make payroll, everything could roll on nominally with the contracting company acting as the buffer between Federal payments and their payroll checks.

We will see. I'll report on SFO soon.
Isn't the point of having them that they're contracted by SFO, rather than the federal government, and have to work to federal standards but they get paid by the airport? Any federal reviewers or auditors might not be working, but their contract should be all from the airport owner (city and county for SFO). The airport owner might get federal subsidies to cover some of the screening contractor costs, but I'd be very surprised if bigger ones like SFO couldn't cover the shortfall for quite a while.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: HH Silver
Went thru TSA PRE @ SEA on Sunday 1/6 @ 8:30am, and it was moving very very fast. They told us to put away our boarding passes, and they were just checking ID. Was a first for me, and I am curious if they were doing the same in the regular TSA lines. The regular lines were long, but I could not see how fast they were moving.

Last edited by tatterdema; Jan 12, 2019 at 7:29 am
Old Jan 12, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: AS 75K, SPG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globablist, Mlife Gold, Caesar's Diamond
@sea Checkpoints 2-4 were crazy busy this morning. I was directed to go to checkpoint 1 (precheck only) and it was wide open.

Last edited by bosca418; Jan 12, 2019 at 12:02 pm
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
One agent working Pre-Check at PDX but quick ID check. Slower line at scanner due to rookie moves....
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by chrisl137
Isn't the point of having them that they're contracted by SFO, rather than the federal government, and have to work to federal standards but they get paid by the airport? Any federal reviewers or auditors might not be working, but their contract should be all from the airport owner (city and county for SFO). The airport owner might get federal subsidies to cover some of the screening contractor costs, but I'd be very surprised if bigger ones like SFO couldn't cover the shortfall for quite a while.
No, TSA contracts with the private firms, not the airports. I dont know how often TSA pays the contractors, but once they miss a payment I an sure we will be hearing about them too.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aliquot
No, TSA contracts with the private firms, not the airports. I dont know how often TSA pays the contractors, but once they miss a payment I an sure we will be hearing about them too.
That certainly makes it potentially higher impact. Probably more important than the payment is the spending authorization. If the TSA has funded their contract several months out (with invoices billed and paid as work is completed) then things will likely be less affected than other airports. If they authorize funds month to month (unlikely) then it could be a problem at the end of January. About half of what I do is on forward-funded federal contracts and they work like that - invoices won't get paid while the gov't is shut down, but the spending is already authorized up to a certain value, and as long as we don't use that up we keep working.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
amazing how much this subject is in the news. I have not seen any widespread TSA delays.

Airport: LAX
Terminal: 6&7
Time of day: 9:00am
Approximate wait time for TSA id check/length of line: looked like 5 minutes
TSA, Priority, Pre?: Pre
Old Jan 12, 2019, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by chrisl137
That certainly makes it potentially higher impact. Probably more important than the payment is the spending authorization. If the TSA has funded their contract several months out (with invoices billed and paid as work is completed) then things will likely be less affected than other airports. If they authorize funds month to month (unlikely) then it could be a problem at the end of January. About half of what I do is on forward-funded federal contracts and they work like that - invoices won't get paid while the gov't is shut down, but the spending is already authorized up to a certain value, and as long as we don't use that up we keep working.
I know some agencies pre authorized spending on contracts earlier than usual in preparation. I don't know what the situation is at TSA, but I think if they were nearing the end of their authorization we would have have heard about it.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
PHX Terminal 4 Check Point A
4:50 PM
Quiet in the terminal,
TSA Pre Agent jovial, ask how I doing and wished me a good day, 5 people ahead of me.
Total time from entery of TSA Pre queue to exiting security was 3m 48s

James
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by marysia
Airport: DEN
Terminal: C
Time of day: 1/6/19 18:00
Approximate wait time for TSA id check/length of line: 3 minutes
TSA, Priority, Pre?: TSA pre-check
Not on AS, but the IAH terminal B checkpoint is closed "due to staffing shortage."
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:27 pm

I flew out of SEA yesterday and was prepared to mention to all the TSA members I met that I appreciate them being here. An older TSA individual who was working the line said they were getting paid because Washington State politicians used separate funds to pay the TSA workers. I have no idea if that was true but had no reason to not believe it. During my flight, the FA's were saying that SFO was the worst but I wasn't sure if they mean just in general or because of the shutdown.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVP
Airport: SEA
Terminal: Checkpoint 4
Time of day: 1/14 at about 6am
Approximate wait time for TSA id check/length of line: 8-10 minutes to ID, another 4-5 to get through the scanner.
TSA, Priority, Pre?: Precheck

Honestly the longest line I had ever seen, but it was moving really quickly. It helped that they had four or five scanner lanes open instead of the one to two I normally see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.