Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The Fed shutdown and TSA lines. What’s your experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Please use the following template for reporting experiences:

Airport:
Terminal:
Time of day:
Approximate wait time for TSA id check/length of line:
TSA, Priority, Pre?:
Print Wikipost

The Fed shutdown and TSA lines. What’s your experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
7 January 2019, summary condition GREEN

with LAS, SEA, LAX, ORD, DEN reporting in.

Conclusion: no widespread failures of TSA to keep up with lines.

Will see if things change tomorrow.
JPat likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SFO. Who are these TSA people you are all talking about?
tusphotog likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I posted this in the MVPG 75K Facebook group, but will be "nicer".

While the gvt is "shut down", workers who are affected will only receive snap-back pay for actual hours worked. If you call out sick, you aren't marked sick (because all types of leave are suspended), you are marked on "furlough" which can add some complications to your job status. So, its unpaid. Those out on FMLA, vacation, extended sick, etc leaves - get absolutely nothing when the snapback is approved by Congress.

Also, government workers apparently can't strike. So a walk out is considered a strike, and from a friend that's a union rep for air traffic, said its super bad news and means the government can fire them.

I'm not sure those who are calling out "sick' and aren't... are not very smart individuals.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
From ADN:
Originally Posted by adn.com
Transportation Safety Administration officials last week said there was a rise in “sick outs” from employees at airports around the country.
The shutdown has had “no impact in operations” at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport and Fairbanks International Airport, said Department of Transportation and Public Facilities spokeswoman Meadow Bailey.“Not seeing delays due to staffing shortages, nothing like that,” she said Monday.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremierExec
While the gvt is "shut down", workers who are affected will only receive snap-back pay for actual hours worked. If you call out sick, you aren't marked sick (because all types of leave are suspended), you are marked on "furlough" which can add some complications to your job status. So, its unpaid. Those out on FMLA, vacation, extended sick, etc leaves - get absolutely nothing when the snapback is approved by Congress.
Sucks if you booked a vacation before the shutdown. Now you are off but not getting paid :-(
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by davem4
Sucks if you booked a vacation before the shutdown. Now you are off but not getting paid :-(
All previously scheduled leave is cancelled in the event of a shutdown. If you're deemed "essential" and required to work, you go to work without pay. If you're furloughed instead, you can still go on vacation if you want, but you're also not paid for the time. In addition, any "outside employment" still requires approval by agency ethics officers.

A friend of mine had family vacation scheduled for the holidays, was told to report to work after the shutdown (so vacation was cancelled), is working daily without pay, and has been told by agency ethics folks that driving for Uber is not approved. In all likelihood, most feds will end up getting back-pay for missed time when this is all said and done, but it still doesn't make it any less ridiculous. And it doesn't help the thousands of contractors (particularly those in low-wage roles) that won't get anything back.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:30 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Airport: SEA
Terminal: C
Time of day: Mon. Jan 7, 3PM
Approximate wait time for TSA id check/length of line: 0 Min.
TSA, Priority, Pre?: Pre-Check

3 lanes of Pre-Check running at Checkpoint 4, sometimes idle. No wait... I didn't even have enough time to get my ID out or get my stuff ready for X-Ray.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:43 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
Terminal: C
Time of day: Mon. Jan 7, 2 pm
Approximate wait time for TSA id check/length of line: 0 Min.
TSA, Priority, Pre?: TSA

No lines at all in regular, priority or premium.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVP
New ST Article - No Change at SEA

Heads up:

Five hours early to the airport? No, says Sea-Tac, shutdown hasn’t slowed security lines

Since federal employees’ furlough began Dec. 22, the longest security line so far has taken one hour to get through, and at some points, it’s taken 30 to 45 minutes, Cooper said. However, “the average amount of time it’s taking to get through security checkpoints is 4-12 minutes, which is about what it usually is.”

Employees of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), who are working without pay during the shutdown, have reportedly been calling in sick more frequently since the shutdown began. TSA union officials have said that’s caused delays at some airports; Cooper said Sea-Tac isn’t one of them.

The Port expects that could change after Friday, when the 2,000 federal employees who work at the airport will miss their first paycheck if the government is still shut down, Port of Seattle Commission President Stephanie Bowman said in a telephone interview Tuesday.
Nothing to see here...yet.
DaveH and JPat like this.

Last edited by pbelmore; Jan 8, 2019 at 5:56 pm Reason: Bad copy/paste job
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
No issues at HNL, PDX, or DCA. Did notice that B terminal @ DCA had one ID checker instead of the usual two.

Like the PoS person said, next week could get ugly. People have bills to pay and junior feds in major cities can't absorb this for too long.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat, Alaska 75k, IHG Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Time of day: Wed. Jan 9, 6:30 am
All checkpoints listed as < 15 minutes
1 & 4 are TSA pre only, rest are mixed

I chose 4, not bothering to check if the line at 1 was shorter (strongly suspect it was). There was a significant but fast moving line. Was through in approx 10-12 minutes. I had some items that sometimes set off scanners, e.g. 2 oz of guacamole for a snack. Was mildly surprised to be whisked right through.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Just kicking this up to the top of the board in hopes of getting a few more data points before our flight from SEA tomorrow afternoon.
J
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott Titanium, Delta Gold, United Silver
Precheck at PDX around 9am this morning was one of the shortest lines I’ve seen in months. The TSA agents were also very friendly and upbeat. When I arrived in DCA (5:30ish pm), the security lines also looked to be very short and there were several TSA agents just standing around looking bored (atypical from what I usually see there at this time of day)
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Wait time at SFO yesterday around 2:30 pm T2 was normal or below. Maybe 7-8 people in front of me at TSA Pre. 2 Xray belts open, so once I got past the ID I was through in less than a minute. Definitely less than 5 minutes from getting in line to being cleared.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by makfan
Wait time at SFO yesterday around 2:30 pm T2 was normal or below. Maybe 7-8 people in front of me at TSA Pre. 2 Xray belts open, so once I got past the ID I was through in less than a minute. Definitely less than 5 minutes from getting in line to being cleared.
Are airports like SFO even affected since they don’t use TSA screeners?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.