Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The Fed shutdown and TSA lines. What’s your experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Please use the following template for reporting experiences:

Airport:
Terminal:
Time of day:
Approximate wait time for TSA id check/length of line:
TSA, Priority, Pre?:
Print Wikipost

The Fed shutdown and TSA lines. What’s your experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:14 pm

SEA
CheckPoint 4 PreCheck Only
1/14
5:00AM
30 minutes - the line was the largest I've ever seen.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Are TSA employees permitted to accept gift cards such as Starbucks???
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Xrayman
Are TSA employees permitted to accept gift cards such as Starbucks???
A quick primer on ethics rules regarding receiving gifts that apply to all federal employees: https://www2.oge.gov/Web/oge.nsf/Res...utside+Sources

While technically, they could accept a gift valued less than $20, as the page notes "employees should consider declining gifts when they believe that their integrity or impartiality would be questioned if they were to accept the gift." I'd say TSOs are likely to decline all gifts from passengers for this reason, as a reasonable person could question whether or not the officer was truly impartial in their screening based on receiving a gift from a passenger. Feel free to try though. Under current circumstances, they may be willing to make an exception, especially if presented following clearance into the secure area. Worst case, you could offer the gift card to a flight attendant or pass along to anyone else instead.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nada of note these days….
STS on 1/15 @ 5:15PM, no lines of people queuing up. Four minutes thru the whole process, appeared to be fully staffed.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer
Airport: SFO
Terminal: 2
Date: 1/14/19
Time: 1130AM
TSA Pre-Check: Yes

Walked right up. Took 20 seconds. Non-Pre looked very short as well. SFO uses contract workers, not Fed employees. I’ve only had a relatively long line at SFO once. That was for a JAL flight and they aren’t in Pre-Check. Relatively long at SFO is about ten minutes. Will try to remember to report after my return trip tomorrow.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
I did give the TSA agents in EUG a box of See's candy when we were passing through near Christmas. Pre-Shutdown but the supervisor accepted it with a hearty thank you after being quite surprised. I don't think they get that kind of thing very often, even in a small station like EUG with few problems/long lines.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 9:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Airport: SEA
Terminal: Main
Time of day: 8:20 AM
Approximate wait time for TSA id check/length of line: < 15 mins
TSA, Priority, Pre: PreCheck

PreCheck was at checkpoint 4, not 5, and there was a healthy line. It was moving pretty quickly but I was glad I had Clear to cut it.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
No Pre today- no real line at TSA ORD today. T3 checkpoint.

Did take a few minutes to get thru, but not due to TSA... it was other pax it seemed like.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
1/16/19 - 7am - SEA
Arrived right as boarding started (as usual) and was greeted by the longest precheck line I've ever seen. The whole queue maze leading to the checkpoint was full including the premium line entrance.

I had signed up for a 6 month trial of Clear a few months ago, so I was through in a minute or two. But it almost made me reconsider my airport departure strategy

EDIT: as missamo pointed out, why does Port of Seattle keep moving the precheck line between 4 & 5 every few months?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
No Pre today- no real line at TSA ORD today. T3 checkpoint.

Did take a few minutes to get thru, but not due to TSA... it was other pax it seemed like.
Isn't it always other pax in the line?
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Isn't it always other pax in the line?
Well, a pax slowdown versus a TSA slowdown.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
No line for Precheck at HNL at 11am today. Regular line looked slowish but it was handling a JAL flight.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
SEA
Checkpoint 1
6:45 a.m., Thursday, 1/17
9 minutes to get to ID check, with line stretching out to the check in kiosks. 15 minutes total to get through.
TSA Pre

Was going to go to The Club and figured I'd avoid the usual morning zoo on the AS end of the airport so went to Checkpoint 1. Was very surprised by the line, but it moved quickly enough.

Edit: Walled back by at 7:35 am and the line was down to maybe half the capacity of the roped lanes, so I must have just hit a rush.

Last edited by RaginPlainsman; Jan 17, 2019 at 8:39 am
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:16 pm

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer
Airport: LAS
Terminal: 3
Time of Day: 8:30AM

TSA Pre-Check was very, very long, and people were complaining that it's been that way pretty regularly. We skipped Pre and went to the regular line. No wait. No shoe removal, no jacket removal, no iPad removal. We were through well before the Pre-Check people that were in that line ahead of us. Total time for us was about 5 minutes.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Airport: BUR
Terminal: B
Date: 1/17
Time: 19:30

Fully staffed, one x-ray conveyer going, pre-check lite operating- all normal for this time of day. TSA seem in good spirits- generally friendly, as is typical for BUR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.