Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:09 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by richh1833
Has CX stopped releasing last minute J seats? Looking at 9 across all fare buckets but no CX availability between SYD-HKG T-7.
EVA Flight Attendants are on strike. 1/3 to 2/3 of EVA flights have been cancelled every day and I would guess many of the affected pax are rebooked on CX. It is a bad time to be looking for last minute award availability through Asia.
mlqsko likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K
Excuse me if this is covered in the Wiki but if it was, I'm not following. Can I add a Cathay Dragon connection to an award ticket if I pay for the Cathay Dragon connection with cash? I'm trying to get to Siem Reap from Hong Kong and while I could get as far as Bangkok on an award travel the pain of transiting in BKK (immigration, customs, ticket counter, immigration) makes paying extra, for a direct flight, attractive. Thanks,
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Brianblanco
Excuse me if this is covered in the Wiki but if it was, I'm not following. Can I add a Cathay Dragon connection to an award ticket if I pay for the Cathay Dragon connection with cash? I'm trying to get to Siem Reap from Hong Kong and while I could get as far as Bangkok on an award travel the pain of transiting in BKK (immigration, customs, ticket counter, immigration) makes paying extra, for a direct flight, attractive. Thanks,
AS does not sell or issue tickets on Cathay Dragon so you cannot do it that way.

What you can do is book a separate ticket on Cathay Dragon HKG-REP. When you check in CX can check your baggage through all the way to REP and issue you your Cathay Dragon boarding pass HKG-REP so you can transit HKG without going through immigration and customs in HKG. I recently traveled on separate award tickets on CX through HKG to BKK and when checking for the first flight at SFO I had the information for the second flight and they checked me and my bags all the way through and issued the onward boarding pass from HKG-BKK and an HKG lounge invitation with F lounge access since my SFO-HKG flight was in F. Very painless. Not sure it is necessary but I made sure my personal details matched exactly for both tickets including the frequent flyer number. Make sure it is a valid connection before you book it (MCT valid). I would leave a good layover buffer time in HKG. If there is a schedule change and the new schedule makes the connection invalid then you won't be able to check through.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 2:12 am

Programs: Alaska 75K
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
AS does not sell or issue tickets on Cathay Dragon so you cannot do it that way.

What you can do is book a separate ticket on Cathay Dragon HKG-REP. When you check in CX can check your baggage through all the way to REP and issue you your Cathay Dragon boarding pass HKG-REP so you can transit HKG without going through immigration and customs in HKG. I recently traveled on separate award tickets on CX through HKG to BKK and when checking for the first flight at SFO I had the information for the second flight and they checked me and my bags all the way through and issued the onward boarding pass from HKG-BKK and an HKG lounge invitation with F lounge access since my SFO-HKG flight was in F. Very painless. Not sure it is necessary but I made sure my personal details matched exactly for both tickets including the frequent flyer number. Make sure it is a valid connection before you book it (MCT valid). I would leave a good layover buffer time in HKG. If there is a schedule change and the new schedule makes the connection invalid then you won't be able to check through.
Thank you! ^
Old Jul 7, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: CX SL, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton HHonors Diamond
I called in tonight to try to book a flight on CX for next year from west coast to HKG, zero availability in business for several months for YVR, LAX, SFO, Seattle, what's going on........
Old Jul 7, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by btang
I called in tonight to try to book a flight on CX for next year from west coast to HKG, zero availability in business for several months for YVR, LAX, SFO, Seattle, what's going on........
I don't know, I just booked 2 Biz seats for my In-Laws on SEA-HKG for March 2020.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by btang
What's going on is that there are less seats released to partners and it is harder than it used to be. The best availability far out seems to be around schedule opening so end of May at this point but there are a few seats available and if you truly are as flexible as you say I think you can probably find something by searching yourself to locate it, then calling in to book. Qantas has an excellent search calendar. Which several months is the window you are looking at next year. I will take a look and see if I can turn something up if you can provide your date range. You are terminating in HKG?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Best Western Diamond Selec
Talking Booked: F/J/Y OW JFK-YVR-PDX-LAX-HKG-CPT

Thanks to DPs in this thread, I was able to build and book a mostly F/J award. I hope my experience will help future flyers.

As I needed a way to come home in style from this deal, I thought it'd be great if I could make a stopover at home in YVR, then continue my way to Africa at a later time. I barely had 70k, so booked a one way, I'll come back from Africa probably by redeeming Aeroplan.

Originally I was thinking my route would be JFK-YVR, stopover, YVR-HKG-JNB/CPT. I couldn't find any F seats from YVR to HKG next year. However, there were fairly good availability ex LAX and SFO next year, albeit all dates were showing 1 seat on BA and QF sites. That was no problem for me, but FYI.

During my search, results on BA and QF sites matched on all routes. I liked searching availability dates on QF calendar view, then confirm each dates on BA site. For AS spaces, I searched on AS site, thinking anything that says 25k is bookable. One regret was their mobile site doesn't show the mixed cabin icon, and I have completely forgotten about this possibility until my AS agent told me only Y is available between PDX and LAX. It's still half a year away, so hopefully F space opens up and I upgrade, but not a deal breaker if it doesn't, as it's relatively a short flight and with a short connection at PDX.

What I learned during the process:
* No mixing with other partners. I wanted to include YUL-NYC by AA or even WS(?), but I was told no. This confirms other DPs in this thread.
* Possible to have a stopover at YVR, like others reported in this thread.
* As an MVP Gold, phone booking fee was waived, but not the partner booking fee.
* As mentioned in the thread, when the flight leaves between midnight and 1am, we should tell that to the booking rep. I've totally forgotten about it, and my rep couldn't find the J space between HKG and CPT. She eventually realized this by herself.
* I went back to BA site a few hours after my booking, I can confirm it's real time, F seats on those routes those days were gone from BA site.

My booked route: JFK-YVR CX F, stopover 1 month, YVR-PDX AS F, PDX-LAX AS Y, LAX-HKG CX F, HKG-CPT CX J
all for 70k miles+$12.50 Partner Award Booking Fee+$92.83 taxes and other fees

I couldn't find any info about MPM for booking with AS, but I'm glad this detour southward to LAX was accepted. I'm looking forward to hitting QF F lounge and AA Flagship First dining there (I'll repeat if I like it in JFK). I wasn't sure if US-CA-US routing was accepted, but apparently it was.

I went to select my seats at CX site. All seats were open except for bassinet seats on all segments. Unlike NYE flash sale, which all I could select was the middle seat.

On my way back, I'm hoping to find SQ J between CPT/JNB and SIN, but I can't find it for next year. If I manage to earn another 70k AS miles by inbound NYE CX sale and a credit card sign up, I'll try booking another oneway from Africa, with a stopover at YVR, then AS F to somewhere in Mexico. It'd be awesome value getting one way flight on other date to Mexico as well, compare to 75k Aeroplan one way, which needs to end at YVR, and no stopover allowed. If I do this, I think I'll need to find another F seat from HKG to YVR or to SEA (I'll need to check if CX has F to SEA).
Happy likes this.

Last edited by maverikbc; Jul 8, 2019 at 11:52 pm
Old Jul 9, 2019, 12:54 am

Cx yvr-jfk,-hkg

CX YVR-JFK,-HKG
Would AS routing allow CX YVR-JFK [stop] ,-HKG?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 4:16 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k, AA Plat
SQ award inventory to JNB is relatively easy to secure, in fact it comes up on Krisflyer Spontaneous Escapes often so they must have some problems with revenue maximisation. On the other hand, really jealous that you got CX CPT award inventory which continues to elude me.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KSMH612
CX YVR-JFK,-HKG
Would AS routing allow CX YVR-JFK [stop] ,-HKG?
That would be two awards. YVR-JFK & JFK-HKG.
I doubt AS would allow a back-tracking on CX YVR-JFK without a stopover. You can find the following CX award under Canada to Contiguous United States and Alaska.

James
Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Struck out trying to do JFK-YVR/stop/YVR-SEA-SFO-HKG-NRT as a single award. Was told could not do a stopover in YVR, just HKG.

So I settled for changing JL J on an award to CX F for an additional 10k tariff plus some taxes.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Struck out trying to do JFK-YVR/stop/YVR-SEA-SFO-HKG-NRT as a single award. Was told could not do a stopover in YVR, just HKG.

So I settled for changing JL J on an award to CX F for an additional 10k tariff plus some taxes.

As usual, YMMV: I've done JFK - YVR (stop) - HKG several times. Don't know if routing through SEA-SFO creates the problem?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by flytoeat
As usual, YMMV: I've done JFK - YVR (stop) - HKG several times. Don't know if routing through SEA-SFO creates the problem?
Someone upthread routed YVR-PDX-LAX-HKG-CPT after a JFK-YVR flight /stopover, so I don’t know why PDX-LAX would be OK but SEA-SFO wouldn’t be.

My award was originally booked JFK-YVR, so maybe that’s it? Or random AS CS bad luck? I didn’t feel like HUCA.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:38 am

I'm looking to do JNB-HKG(Stopover)-SFO sometime in June 2020.

I see that it is extremely difficult to get 2 F seats on the same flight.
1. Do you recommend I book 1F and 1J and wait till the second F opens up?
2. If the second F does not open up at all, can I get 2 J seats later on? Traveling with my SO, and want to make sure we are seated together.
3. Is the last minute availability for F or J better?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.