Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:39 pm

Hi,

Thanks for all your input and thought. The reason I asked is because I did see one of my friend took F class between HKG and TPE. I also understand the chance like this is rare and unlikely, but would like to know if this happened, what and how could I do. An hour flight is no big deal, but you can't never get enough with First Cabin, right? This would be my very first time to take First cabin on Cathay, so excited......

Thanks again everyone for your input.

Thanks,
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kevin720616
Hi,

Thanks for all your input and thought. The reason I asked is because I did see one of my friend took F class between HKG and TPE. I also understand the chance like this is rare and unlikely, but would like to know if this happened, what and how could I do. An hour flight is no big deal, but you can't never get enough with First Cabin, right? This would be my very first time to take First cabin on Cathay, so excited......

Thanks,
Yeah, if it was recent, I think your friend may have gotten lucky. They don't sell F on that route. But yeah, CX F is so nice!
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:13 pm

Is there a trick to searching for award space on CX between HKG-HND or HKG-NRT? Coming up empty for several dates on both QANTAS and BA sites.

Trying to book as part of a USA-HKG-Tokyo trip.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by kevin720616
Hi,

Thanks,
To reiterate: Cathay Pacific no longer sells first class tickets on that route. You cannot redeem in first class if it’s not being sold.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that the confusion here is the difference between the seats (the plane may very well have a first class cabin) and the available fare classes, and what class of service they book into.

In other words, even if there is a first class cabin with first class seats, you can't buy a first class ticket. The airline may seat business class guests there and offer them business class service, or they may leave the seats empty. But your ticket is business class, so you have no priority to be seated in a first class cabin, should it exist.
Flying for Fun and Unionruler like this.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pickles1107
Is there a trick to searching for award space on CX between HKG-HND or HKG-NRT? Coming up empty for several dates on both QANTAS and BA sites.

Trying to book as part of a USA-HKG-Tokyo trip.
Ask the agent by phone to check the whole way through (to not break it up). The availability sometimes is different that way.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlatinum
Wife and I are moving from the Bay Area later this year to the DFW area. We want to take a trip to Thailand around April/May of next year and since it will be a big occasion I want to go CX 1st class using my Alaska miles via HKG and spend a couple days in HKG on the way out there. I realize this may mean I need to book a separate flight out to the West Coast to hop on said flight.

Given the recent news in HKG - should I be rethinking this entirely? For example, maybe HKG is a bad idea and it'd be better to just go business class on another carrier like JAL via Tokyo.

Also - let's assume we want to go on CX and are ok with HKG. Should I basically be booking that trip 330 days from when we want to go...which means now...?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by splatkid10
Wife and I are moving from the Bay Area later this year to the DFW area. We want to take a trip to Thailand around April/May of next year and since it will be a big occasion I want to go CX 1st class using my Alaska miles via HKG and spend a couple days in HKG on the way out there. I realize this may mean I need to book a separate flight out to the West Coast to hop on said flight.

Given the recent news in HKG - should I be rethinking this entirely? For example, maybe HKG is a bad idea and it'd be better to just go business class on another carrier like JAL via Tokyo.

Also - let's assume we want to go on CX and are ok with HKG. Should I basically be booking that trip 330 days from when we want to go...which means now...?
That’s a long time from now, and to be honest if you are averse to going to a country where there is a chance of political upheaval, go look at how many coups there have been in Thailand over the last 50 years or so. You would be best sticking to Japan if you want no risk... though they do have earthquakes... maybe stay home?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

That’s a long time from now, and to be honest if you are averse to going to a country where there is a chance of political upheaval, go look at how many coups there have been in Thailand over the last 50 years or so. You would be best sticking to Japan if you want no risk... though they do have earthquakes... maybe stay home?
I dunno, I live in SF. If Trump wins again we might have riots. HKG seems safer...
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:34 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlatinum
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Point taken.

Guess I just need to make sure I have the points and call AS to book.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: CX DM/OWE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by beckoa
This used to be straightforward to get 2 seats in F.

No longer... maybe in 2020 this will again be the case.
I'm based in HKG, and am researching the Alaska Mileage Plan. Seeing the incredible earn and redemption rates especially for F class, I'm thinking about crediting some of my CX J flights to Alaska. I've read most of the thread, but still got some questions hoping you guys could help me with:

1. As I would need to redeem for me and my wife, how often have you seen 2 F seats available? Reading this thread it seems the consensus is that CX only releases 1F per flight, but one year ago, I was actually able to get 2 F from FRA-HKG 1 year ahead for this June on Asia Miles.

2. It seems a lot of people in this situation are doing 1F 1J and hoping to upgrade the J to F closer to the flight if available. I also read that ex-HKG flights can't be booked with less than 72 hours to takeoff. Does this 72 hour limitation apply to upgrading from J to F as well?

3. Not sure anyone here might know but would I be able to credit my departure and return leg to different programs (i.e. departure to CX Marco Polo, return to Alaska)? Idea is that if I reach my target tier at CX after the departure, I'd rather credit the return leg to Alaska to get more miles. I have dropped my CX membership from the return leg of my trip before, but only to credit it back to CX for the next membership year. (Found the answer)

Many thanks

Last edited by sparkj; Jun 25, 2019 at 1:55 am
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
I called Alaska today and had them walk through a few searches with me. The lady I spoke to was very knowledgeable about the cathay ticketing process, and issuing last minute tickets. She did say that she had not issued a last minute, close-in ticket with Cathay in over a month (which is around the same time I noticed the close in availability disappearing).

what is incredibly maddening is that CX seems to have adopted a blanket ban on F award space. It's not like all of the space (especially ex-lax) got booked up by the error fare. Flight after flight I see with F4, F5, F6, a few days to a week before departure, and not a single one of them has space when it used to be reliably released. It's like cathay has just crossed their arms and refused to release space even when every other factor says releasing space makes sense.

Of course I don't work in RM, but it's incredibly frustrating to see not a single F seat ex-US released anywhere through the end of the year, and to have all the availability pulled a few weeks ago was a low move. I really hope somebody proves me wrong by finding an F seat somewhere, anywhere, or that CX reconsiders this strategy.

Availability returns to "normal" in 2020, and I imagine sometime in 2020 they will start releasing close-in seats again. But as of right now, all I can do is vent my frustration.
I played with QF today and discovered CX's availability in C class is bad, too. There is no award even if there are 7 seats on sale within a week.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by flyingislove
Ask the agent by phone to check the whole way through (to not break it up). The availability sometimes is different that way.
I had the agent check lots of dates with the stopover and she didn't see anything March through the end of the schedule. I can't find anything for HKG-Tokyo on any date using the BA search tool either. Is this a route that is hard to come by? I'm looking for 5 tix and found the Premium econ tix for the first leg.
I'm only MVP so I need to book all at the same time to avoid the change fees.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
How is your search going? I just had a look for CX PE for the first week of October and I am seeing quite a few options. While nothing directly to YYZ there are two PE seats showing as available on October 3rd to ORD. There are Nine AC flights from Chicago to YYZ on that date for $110 USD. Alternatively, 4 AA flights at $105 USD.

Don't discount flights to the West Coast either (YVR, SFO, LAX) as you can tack on a AS Flight(s) to get you to the East Coast like ORD, BOS, NYC, BWI and others.

Looking specifically at HKG-JFK there are at least 2 PE seats available; October 1st(3), 2nd(4), 3rd(2), 4th(1), 5th(1), 6th(3), 7th(5) The number in parenthesis indicates the number of flights operating that day with availability. I did not check BOS

For other Cities; October 1st(SFO(2), LAX(2)), 2nd(SFO(2), LAX(3)), 3rd(ORD, SFO), 7th(LAX)

If you end up not taking a stopover in Hong Kong consider tacking on a flight for later (next year?) to Mexico or Hawaii. Half your airfare will be paid for a future trip.

James
Can you give an example of taking on another flight (hawaii / mexico)? Thanks!
Old Jun 26, 2019, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by sparkj
I'm based in HKG, and am researching the Alaska Mileage Plan. Seeing the incredible earn and redemption rates especially for F class, I'm thinking about crediting some of my CX J flights to Alaska. I've read most of the thread, but still got some questions hoping you guys could help me with:

1. As I would need to redeem for me and my wife, how often have you seen 2 F seats available? Reading this thread it seems the consensus is that CX only releases 1F per flight, but one year ago, I was actually able to get 2 F from FRA-HKG 1 year ahead for this June on Asia Miles.

2. It seems a lot of people in this situation are doing 1F 1J and hoping to upgrade the J to F closer to the flight if available. I also read that ex-HKG flights can't be booked with less than 72 hours to takeoff. Does this 72 hour limitation apply to upgrading from J to F as well?

3. Not sure anyone here might know but would I be able to credit my departure and return leg to different programs (i.e. departure to CX Marco Polo, return to Alaska)? Idea is that if I reach my target tier at CX after the departure, I'd rather credit the return leg to Alaska to get more miles. I have dropped my CX membership from the return leg of my trip before, but only to credit it back to CX for the next membership year. (Found the answer)

Many thanks
1) Most folks here are based in North America and routes from North America to HKG only release 1F far out. It is quite possible that 2F are released Europe-HKG but most folks here don't track those routes since for us it would take two awards to get there on CX one N/A-HKG and one HKG-Europe. I have heard it said and I tend to believe that CX availability through the JAL program matches what AS can book. Try taking a look at what CX availability looks like with JAL miles if you see 2F FRA-HKG it is probably available through AS. Take note of the Wiki here. You want to make sure the routes you would be interested in are available when starting from HKG. Also, no free stopover when the route does not start or end in North America.

2) See above. 2F might be availabe HKG-Europe, but not USA-HKG. I believe the 72 hour limitation would apply to switching from J to F since you are basically cancelling the J award and issuing a new F award but I am not certain. I would not count on being able to upgrade with less 72 hours to departure ex HKG.

Also, you are right, AS has some great redemption rates on CX. Almost too great and they have been that way for a long time. I would not be surprised to see the award chart devalued at some point so keep that in mind.
sparkj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.