Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:24 pm

I know Alaska can only book CX 330 days out but does anyone know what time the agents can first book at 330 days out/when is recommended to call and try to book?

Right at midnight PST when it goes from 331 days out to 330 (even though the call center closes at midnight PST)? First thing at 5AM PST? Normal business hours?

And I'm assuming it's still recommended to immediately ask to be transferred to the "partner award desk" since many agents often have trouble with CX awards?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
You were replying to Pmun saying it should be 10% but Pmun was complaining about high surcharges to JFK which, according to posts online, has a 25% surcharge. My intent was to warn folks that it is not always 10% and they could be hit, as Pmun was, with a much higher 25% charge to or from the US for an infant ticket. Luckily you are not flying a 25% surcharge route but there are some out there.
I though this thread is about Alaska awards on CX... not AA, not CX.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by mlqsko
I though this thread is about Alaska awards on CX... not AA, not CX.
That is what I am talking about here, 25% infant fare for an Alaska award on CX to or from the US. Are you referring to something else?
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
I booked HKG-LAX in First this morning, for travel March 25th, 2020.

Seeing lots of availability on BA, so snagged a seat.
Dennis in Phoenix got it booked in less than 10 minutes.
(am routed LAX-SFO-PDX currently to get home, but I'm sure I'll be able to get that cleaned up).

--
I know most people don't compare these things... but o/w ticket priced at $14k USD...

Also burned 55k AS miles last night on outbound PDX-SFO-SYD on Qantas in J.
125k total AS miles for business and first class to australia, asia and back.... yeah. These are the good old days.

Last edited by WestCoastPDX; Jun 14, 2019 at 8:33 am Reason: bolding :)
Old Jun 14, 2019, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
I booked HKG-LAX in First this morning, for travel March 25th, 2020.
Yeah, keep bragging, spread the word and this will last...........
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:23 am

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before. If I'm able to see 1x F seat available on Asia Miles, but neither BA, QF nor JL is showing F space (only Y is showing), does it mean that AS phone agent will not be able to book it too?
The flight is SIN-HKG-JFK in April next year. I've checked Asia Miles by individual and married segment, both methods are showing award space in J/F respectively.
Tried calling AS but the phone agent was unable to see any award space as well. As the SIN-HKG flight departs at 1:30am, would it help if I specifically tell the agent to search for departure after 1am?

I recall there's a FTer in this thread that was able to get the phone agent to attempt to ticket the itinerary successfully without seeing any availability on their end.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by skyx31
Hi all,
Sorry if this has been asked before. If I'm able to see 1x F seat available on Asia Miles, but neither BA, QF nor JL is showing F space (only Y is showing), does it mean that AS phone agent will not be able to book it too?
The flight is SIN-HKG-JFK in April next year. I've checked Asia Miles by individual and married segment, both methods are showing award space in J/F respectively.
Tried calling AS but the phone agent was unable to see any award space as well. As the SIN-HKG flight departs at 1:30am, would it help if I specifically tell the agent to search for departure after 1am?

I recall there's a FTer in this thread that was able to get the phone agent to attempt to ticket the itinerary successfully without seeing any availability on their end.
If QF and JL cannot see it that is probably bad. You mentioned you checked AsiaMiles both ways but have you checked QF both by individual segments and combined? QF will not show the F icon on the calendar search unless F is available on both flights but it will show up F as mixed class when selecting the individual day. I see a ton of F in April HKG-JFK searching on QF. I would definitely try asking the agent to search with a time (maybe 1AM or 2AM from SIN?) but if you cannot find the flights on QF or JL you might be out of luck (but once again have you searched QF segment by segment and combined?). Which day are you looking at?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
If QF and JL cannot see it that is probably bad. You mentioned you checked AsiaMiles both ways but have you checked QF both by individual segments and combined? QF will not show the F icon on the calendar search unless F is available on both flights but it will show up F as mixed class when selecting the individual day. I see a ton of F in April HKG-JFK searching on QF. I would definitely try asking the agent to search with a time (maybe 1AM or 2AM from SIN?) but if you cannot find the flights on QF or JL you might be out of luck (but once again have you searched QF segment by segment and combined?). Which day are you looking at?
Thanks for the reply! I've searched both QF and JL, both are not showing any flights at all for the SIN-HKG leg, while HKG-JFK only shows space in Y. I'm looking for flights on 26th April.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by skyx31
Thanks for the reply! I've searched both QF and JL, both are not showing any flights at all for the SIN-HKG leg, while HKG-JFK only shows space in Y. I'm looking for flights on 26th April.
It's a sad day for partners. CX now has a separate allocation for F awards for its own program. You are right, there is no partner F availability on 4/26 but there is via AsiaMiles. SIN-HKG in J on 4/26 in married segment only (for partners), you must have another CX flight with availability to connect to to get availability for that segment.

There is F availability on 4/27 SIN-JFK (J to HKG, F to JFK). How about that? If you really need to come back on 4/26 you can get SIN-ORD on 4/26 and make your own way back to JFK.
tobikosan likes this.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Jun 15, 2019 at 11:33 pm
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:30 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by skvanburen
I know Alaska can only book CX 330 days out but does anyone know what time the agents can first book at 330 days out/when is recommended to call and try to book?

Right at midnight PST when it goes from 331 days out to 330 (even though the call center closes at midnight PST)? First thing at 5AM PST? Normal business hours?

And I'm assuming it's still recommended to immediately ask to be transferred to the "partner award desk" since many agents often have trouble with CX awards?
I have had luck around 2 or 3 PM US eastern...
Old Jun 16, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: Delta PM, AA PlatPro
This seems like a grumpy reply!

We're on FT, in an AS sub-forum, in a 41 page thread ABOUT Cathay redemptions. This entire thread is about this topic.

I posted a datapoint about what others are seeing - lots of J/F availability at the moment.
I snagged it. And I hope other people get theirs - I'm not scared I'm competing with other frequent travelers here... I see plenty of seats to go around.

Do you really think I'm giving away some secret code here?

Last edited by WestCoastPDX; Jun 16, 2019 at 6:29 am Reason: Clarity
Old Jun 16, 2019, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by skvanburen

Originally Posted by flyingislove
This is a very interesting question and one to which I do not know the answer. The best course of action would be for someone to try different times to determine the answer. There are a couple of times which would seem to be likely. My first guess today, given that CX opens its calendar at T-360 well in advance of AS, would be as soon as the AS calendar on the website adds a new day for booking. I am not actually sure but I think this happens at midnight Pacific Time so I would try booking right at midnight at T-331 (not T-330). I recall there was some processing going on to load JAL flights somewhere between 4-6AM in the morning at one point so if midnight at T-331 did not work I might suggest trying at 6 AM at T-331 (Pacific US). Anyone who has data points on this please update us.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
This seems like a grumpy reply!

We're on FT, in an AS sub-forum, in a 41 page thread ABOUT Cathay redemptions. This entire thread is about this topic.

I posted a datapoint about what others are seeing - lots of J/F availability at the moment.
I snagged it. And I hope other people get theirs - I'm not scared I'm competing with other frequent travelers here... I see plenty of seats to go around.

I'm confused what is the secret? booking window is open until early May now. Its not to shocking that space is available that far out since no one is flying those Vietnam mistake fares in 2020.
ukinny2000 and ft543 like this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 2:04 pm

Do you really think anyone participating in this thread does NOT know the value of the AS redemptions?

And you're right, this thread is about availability on Cathay pacific. Of your entire post, there was just "Seeing lots of availability on BA, so snagged a seat." related to the topic, so thank you for your great contribution.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by flyingislove

Thanks. To be clear you mean 2 or 3PM Eastern 331 days out?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.