Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: nobody
Question to the group, is Japan - HKG<stopover>-ORD a valid routing? I am looking to go back to HKG next year during Chinese year, I can find availability in F or Biz from HKG-ORD, and I have a separate NH F ticket booked for ORD-HND via Lifemiles already. Right now I don't see any availability between NRT/HND/NGO/KIX-HKG yet, I am planing to go ahead and book the hkg-ord CX segment first and when the JPN-HKG segment available in a later date, I might just pay the change fee and extend the leg. Does it sound reasonable?

Last edited by mobilebucky; May 21, 2019 at 9:27 pm Reason: typo
Old May 22, 2019, 9:35 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by mobilebucky
Question to the group, is Japan - HKG<stopover>-ORD a valid routing? I am looking to go back to HKG next year during Chinese year, I can find availability in F or Biz from HKG-ORD, and I have a separate NH F ticket booked for ORD-HND via Lifemiles already. Right now I don't see any availability between NRT/HND/NGO/KIX-HKG yet, I am planing to go ahead and book the hkg-ord CX segment first and when the JPN-HKG segment available in a later date, I might just pay the change fee and extend the leg. Does it sound reasonable?
It’s fine. I just flew HND-HKG-stopover-LAX without any issues.
Old May 27, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
question about CX inner ASIA award

the Asia to Asia award does not say (only HKG ), so i asume oneways BKK-HKG-OSA are possible @ standard rates 12.5k and 22,5k
If this is correct, i would like to know, if stopovers in HKG are allowed on such oneway awards ?
Old May 27, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by bertheike
the Asia to Asia award does not say (only HKG ), so i asume oneways BKK-HKG-OSA are possible @ standard rates 12.5k and 22,5k
If this is correct, i would like to know, if stopovers in HKG are allowed on such oneway awards ?
Please check the wiki that is attached to this thread. You can find many answers there.

From the wiki:
Routing Rules:
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
Old May 27, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: Gold: SPG, HH AA Platinum, United Gold
Unexpected SFO - DPS trip in August 2019

HI all, wondering if it's worth even trying to find Business SFO to DPS. From reading this thread, I can't tell if more awards are released close in (T-60 or less). First time trying to book CX using Alaska miles. Should I book an economy award and be able to change it later? I'm not finding any business class right now, but Qantas is showing some economy awards CX.

I can get a decent upgradable with miles fare in PE on Singapore or Eva right now, just trying to decide if it's worth holding out for this redemption.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Old May 27, 2019, 9:33 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Originally Posted by blvr
HI all, wondering if it's worth even trying to find Business SFO to DPS. From reading this thread, I can't tell if more awards are released close in (T-60 or less). First time trying to book CX using Alaska miles. Should I book an economy award and be able to change it later? I'm not finding any business class right now, but Qantas is showing some economy awards CX.

I can get a decent upgradable with miles fare in PE on Singapore or Eva right now, just trying to decide if it's worth holding out for this redemption.

We have booked SEA-DPS award tickets in J, most recently in May. Usually when we can't find both legs in J, we'll book the award ticket with the short leg in economy and search for business openings to upgrade to later. This recent trip, we searched every few days for months and were never able to find an upgraded seat. YMMV but Cathay business seats intra-asia have been difficult for us. There aren't many other options to get to DPS with one stop though.
blvr likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by blvr

If you are looking at a CX award for August you can probably get the SFO-HKG segment in Business but my sense is it is unlikely at this point to get the HKG-DPS in Business. For one person I can see the mixed class option available now. If you need to book for more than one or you want better than economy on the HKG-DPS leg I would look at other options.
blvr likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: Gold: SPG, HH AA Platinum, United Gold
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
If you are looking at a CX award for August you can probably get the SFO-HKG segment in Business but my sense is it is unlikely at this point to get the HKG-DPS in Business. For one person I can see the mixed class option available now. If you need to book for more than one or you want better than economy on the HKG-DPS leg I would look at other options.
Thank you, I'm fine with economy HKG-DPS. Can I ask where you are seeing the mixed award? I was using Qantas.

Last edited by blvr; May 28, 2019 at 8:18 am
Old May 28, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Any point in waiting hoping for availability on CX?

So my wife and I already booked one leg of our flight from YYZ to HKG (stop over) then to KIX for September on PE. We didn't have enough points to book the return leg until recently. Now we're looking for the return leg on the first week of October but from searching the BA site and also talking to Alaska, nothing seems available. There are plenty of flights from any airport in Japan back to HKG but we can't find anything from Sept 29th to Oct 6th from HKG to YYZ. There is nothing in any class. In anyone's experience is it worth waiting a bit and checking back again? How likely are seats to open up or is it probably a done deal by now. We can see on Cathay's own site that the seats are available for AsiaMiles so the flights aren't sold out. Should we wait or should I be looking for an alternate way to get home
Old May 28, 2019, 11:53 am

I asked this a while back, and trying to see if people have any new information on this trend. Has anybody been able to book a close in ticket in Cathay F from any US gateway to HKG? I've been searching LAX-HKG and JFK-HKG weekly and haven't found any close in space anytime I've checked. I'm traveling mid-august.

Award space seems to return to "normal" next year, but obviously that doesn't help my honeymoon
Old May 28, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
So my wife and I already booked one leg of our flight from YYZ to HKG (stop over) then to KIX for September on PE. We didn't have enough points to book the return leg until recently. Now we're looking for the return leg on the first week of October but from searching the BA site and also talking to Alaska, nothing seems available. There are plenty of flights from any airport in Japan back to HKG but we can't find anything from Sept 29th to Oct 6th from HKG to YYZ. There is nothing in any class. In anyone's experience is it worth waiting a bit and checking back again? How likely are seats to open up or is it probably a done deal by now. We can see on Cathay's own site that the seats are available for AsiaMiles so the flights aren't sold out. Should we wait or should I be looking for an alternate way to get home
Old May 28, 2019, 9:53 pm

Currently not seeing any availability from HKG to anywhere in Japan during April '20. Seems there's a nice blackout window for partner availability. Any chance this period will open up soon or will it be closer to T0?
Old May 28, 2019, 11:22 pm

I was checking flights from HKG-TYO for late November 2019 back in April and there were a few with some J, but after May they disappeared on BA and QF. Also hoping they appear when closer to date.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
I asked this a while back, and trying to see if people have any new information on this trend. Has anybody been able to book a close in ticket in Cathay F from any US gateway to HKG? I've been searching LAX-HKG and JFK-HKG weekly and haven't found any close in space anytime I've checked. I'm traveling mid-august.

Award space seems to return to "normal" next year, but obviously that doesn't help my honeymoon
There was a cheap and popular error fare from Vietnam to the States that Cathay offered back in, IIRC, Januaryish. That affects award F availability through October/November.
Old May 29, 2019, 12:27 am

Yes I am aware. However in a few instances, flights that are F6 within two weeks of departure still don't have any award space, whereas a few months ago the close in release of award space when a cabin was wide open was almost a guarantee, like clockwork.

also the flights far out that are F6 used to reliably have one award seat open. Now I don't see a single ex-US award seat until 2020. Even with many flights F6 on LAX-HKG ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.