Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:20 pm

What's the best strategy of booking 2 flights with a stopover in-between?

I want to book using Alaska miles for CX SYD-HKG in J, then a stopover in Hong Kong for several days, and then HKG-JFK in J.

I think I should make the booking as soon as tickets are released to AS, at 330 days.

Do I need to book the 2nd segment (HKG-JFK) on the same day as the first segment (SYD-HKG), as 1 ticket, and then switch the date for the HKG-JFK segment a few days later, when the later dates are released? Or is there a better way to go about this? I should lock in the date I need for my first segment, right? Because if I wait a few days until the second segment is released to book the correct dates, it seems I'd stand a good chance of finding that the first segment has all been taken, right?

I know if I book both segments, and then change the date of the 2nd segment that I'll have to pay a change fee for 2 people, and would like to avoid that, but will do so if there are no other options.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by rje444
What's the best strategy of booking 2 flights with a stopover in-between?

I want to book using Alaska miles for CX SYD-HKG in J, then a stopover in Hong Kong for several days, and then HKG-JFK in J.

I think I should make the booking as soon as tickets are released to AS, at 330 days.

Do I need to book the 2nd segment (HKG-JFK) on the same day as the first segment (SYD-HKG), as 1 ticket, and then switch the date for the HKG-JFK segment a few days later, when the later dates are released? Or is there a better way to go about this? I should lock in the date I need for my first segment, right? Because if I wait a few days until the second segment is released to book the correct dates, it seems I'd stand a good chance of finding that the first segment has all been taken, right?

I know if I book both segments, and then change the date of the 2nd segment that I'll have to pay a change fee for 2 people, and would like to avoid that, but will do so if there are no other options.
If you have a lot of flexibility on dates it might be better to just find flights with availability for both segments before booking. If you have a limited window of dates you can travel or you want a specific day then I would grab the SYD-HKG when you can because I seem to recall this is a tough route to get J availability on. You can either book SYD-HKG by itself and days later add the flight HKG-JFK to the ticket or you can book SYD-HKG-JFK and change the date of the HKG-JFK later. Either way, adding a new flight segment or changing the date of a flight segment, will incur a change fee. The only way to get the stopover without the change fee is to book the stopover on the original ticket and not change it. Either of the ways you mentioned will work but no avoiding a change fee if you add or change a flight. What you cannot do is combine tickets. You cannot book two separate tickets, one ticket SYD-HKG and a separately booked ticket HKG-JFK and combine them into one ticket.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: Alaska,AC,Avios,
Is there a way other than BA search to find CX F availability ? I'm looking for East coast to HKG or HKG to East coast in Oct/Nov and there is absolutely nothing available on BA. I missed a chance to book last week and now I cant see anything
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:50 pm

You can check for CX F availability on the Qantas website, and also on the Japan Airlines website.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by rje444
You can check for CX F availability on the Qantas website, and also on the Japan Airlines website.
I tried , you can only search 1 day at a time and I found no CX awards on QF website, I'll try JAL.

Thank you.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by tdot_guy
I tried , you can only search 1 day at a time and I found no CX awards on QF website, I'll try JAL.

Thank you.
You can do a calendar search on QF if you check the box "Flexible with dates" when you open the "Depart" calendar.

The fact that you are finding nothing on either BA or QF probably means there is nothing.
tdot_guy likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by tdot_guy

Thank you.
Changing the website you use to search doesn’t change the availability. If it’s not available on one, it’s not available on the other,
tdot_guy likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Changing the website you use to search doesn’t change the availability. If it’s not available on one, it’s not available on the other,
Maybe in the Good Ol' Days that was true. It is not always true now.
meehgz likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:21 am

Good to know , thank you all. I dd not know how to use QF tool, its better than BA .
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546

It is my interpretstion that "unaware of the flexible date calendar" the poster found QF cumbersome so he wanted to try the JL website.

There have been reports of successful redemptions with AS where inventory did not match or exist on QF/BA.

James in Kigalu
tobikosan and ukinny2000 like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
[deleted b/c wrong airline mentioned - sorry

Last edited by estnet; Apr 7, 2019 at 11:30 am
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by estnet
JL doesn't show Cx award availability online you have to call!
That's not true
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
That's not true
Whoops sorry brain glitch - of course I'm wrong mea culpa
Old Apr 7, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Originally Posted by estnet
JL doesn't show Cx award availability online you have to call!
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
That's not true
Definitely untrue. The JL web site clearly makes CX flights an option
Attached Images  
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Been a while since I looked at redeeming AS miles for Cathay. Is the below article still true?

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...ow-to-book-it/

Do we need to have a married segment (LAX-HKG-BKK or LAX-HKG-SIN) to find business/first award space to HKG on CX?

Last edited by slickpokerdealer; Apr 7, 2019 at 12:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.