Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2019, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by newbie2008
Just to add a bit more context. The two flights that I was allowed to choose from were both 20k. I don't know if they somehow become different if you search for them direct (i.e. DAL-SFO) vs using them to connect to partner flight.
My guess is you got lucky and an agent screwed up. That is not how it’s supposed to work.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
What fare class did the agent book for you from DAL-SFO? N, W, or A?
Old Mar 25, 2019, 11:02 am

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
What fare class did the agent book for you from DAL-SFO? N, W, or A?
NWA? They have an NWA fare? That's cool
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:01 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by tdot_guy
Has anyone who has tried both CX and QF advise which one has a better F? and how easy it is to find QF F cuz I can't see anything on AS or BA website
CX has the better hard product and service, QF has the better food, while both have excellent lounges (but moot, since you can access the other’s lounges on an F ticket).

QF F is notoriously difficult to book, CX F is the opposite.
tdot_guy likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: Alaska,AC,Avios,
Originally Posted by MAH4546

CX has the better hard product and service, QF has the better food, while both have excellent lounges (but moot, since you can access the other’s lounges on an F ticket).

QF F is notoriously difficult to book, CX F is the opposite.
Thank you. I guess I'll go with CX . From Australia to East coast I will have 11 hours in J + 15+ in F as opposed to the only option available in QF F is 14 hours from MEL-LAX
Old Mar 26, 2019, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tdot_guy
Thank you. I guess I'll go with CX . From Australia to East coast I will have 11 hours in J + 15+ in F as opposed to the only option available in QF F is 14 hours from MEL-LAX
Unless you’re taking a Hong Kong stopover or you’re one of those “whee! Planes are awesome! I cannot possibly spend enough time on a plane!” people we have here in FT, I can’t imagine taking 2x as long to fly somewhere that turns a flight into more than two days of flying, unless it was CX F vs QF Y.

FWIW, CX J gave me some of the worst airline food I’ve ever had. Just inedible, send it back, rubbery, tough pork cutlet. I find the catering in F to be fine, but not “add 11 hours of J flying” fine. The F lounges in HKG are nice but not that nice.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've honestly never had a *great* airline meal. Or at least not a great main course - I've had some caviar, cheese, or dessert courses that were interesting and fun because I don't usually do those things at home.

So flying a day out of my way in hopes of great food is probably not something I'd do. No matter how good the food on whatever you think the best F carrier in the world is, any midsized American city has at least one restaurant with better food and a better winelist.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very true, especially given that at altitude you lose ability to taste using taste buds anyway.

However, my point is more that the whole package of travel in an F cabin isn’t worth massive “let’s fly out of the way because the caviar and wine is better and I can take a shower at 35,000 feet” for me, even if it is an upgrade in service to a better soft and hard product.

I would probably pick a good J cabin nonstop over F with massive detours. Now, if I am spending time at the detours...
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: Alaska,AC,Avios,
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Unless you’re taking a Hong Kong stopover or you’re one of those “whee! Planes are awesome! I cannot possibly spend enough time on a plane!” people we have here in FT, I can’t imagine taking 2x as long to fly somewhere that turns a flight into more than two days of flying, unless it was CX F vs QF Y.

FWIW, CX J gave me some of the worst airline food I’ve ever had. Just inedible, send it back, rubbery, tough pork cutlet. I find the catering in F to be fine, but not “add 11 hours of J flying” fine. The F lounges in HKG are nice but not that nice.
I am planning to stop in HK for at least 2 days , BTW I am your "Planes are awesome! I cannot possibly spend enough time on a plane!" guy so long as I have lie flats and decent wine. I was on the longest flight (SQ) and 17 hours just wasn't enough for me, I've never tried F but SQ J was just amazing, hopefully CX F is at least as good as SQ J.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, SPG/Marriott Gold
Are there any issues with having multiple CX bookings on different flights on the same day temporarily while I figure out what timing/connections work best for my plans? They wouldn't be on the same flight, but just looking at different times of departures and routings to find the best option for my schedule. Since space can disappear quickly, I wanted to hold some options while I figure things out. (MVPG so cancelling and re-depositing is not a concern, I don't think.)
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by seadan
Are there any issues with having multiple CX bookings on different flights on the same day temporarily while I figure out what timing/connections work best for my plans? They wouldn't be on the same flight, but just looking at different times of departures and routings to find the best option for my schedule. Since space can disappear quickly, I wanted to hold some options while I figure things out. (MVPG so cancelling and re-depositing is not a concern, I don't think.)
I had two separate CX bookings (using AS miles) on two consecutive days for about a month (until I figured out which routing worked better for me, then cancelling one of the tickets). No issues with any of the tickets getting cancelled. Do remember though that the $12.50 Partner Award fee is non-refundable (not even for Golds/75Ks), so keep that in mind if you make multiple bookings.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Very true, especially given that at altitude you lose ability to taste using taste buds anyway.

However, my point is more that the whole package of travel in an F cabin isn’t worth massive “let’s fly out of the way because the caviar and wine is better and I can take a shower at 35,000 feet” for me, even if it is an upgrade in service to a better soft and hard product.

I would probably pick a good J cabin nonstop over F with massive detours. Now, if I am spending time at the detours...
Agreed. Although HKG is always a good spot for a 2-day stopover...
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Good news data point. Just booked 4J seats on CX using my Alaska points to Australia at Christmas. The J availability matched exactly BA and Qantas websites. So if BA said 4 seats on CX available SEA - HKG, there were 4 bookable J seats using AS mileage plan miles.

Of course most dates zero availability but found enough for me. Hardest was finding the Hong Kong to Australia available legs.

Call me happy. For much of last year I was finding AS was 1-2 seats less then what was showing on BA.com, and when trying to book for the family that meant I couldn't use my AS miles.

So for now, looks like AS is able to book the same CX awards as othe points programs
pbelmore likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
I've honestly never had a *great* airline meal. Or at least not a great main course - I've had some caviar, cheese, or dessert courses that were interesting and fun because I don't usually do those things at home.

So flying a day out of my way in hopes of great food is probably not something I'd do. No matter how good the food on whatever you think the best F carrier in the world is, any midsized American city has at least one restaurant with better food and a better winelist.
The only truly great airlines meals and had have been on JL F. The food on CX F was bad. EK F was pretty good but more "fancy" than "great"
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The only truly great airlines meals and had have been on JL F. The food on CX F was bad. EK F was pretty good but more "fancy" than "great"
Have you had CX F out of Japan?
tobikosan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.