Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm on an AS award flight BKK-HKG tomorrow in J -- CX 780. I just got an EF alert about an equipment change: A350-900 -> A330-300. From correlating the seat map on EF with the maps on seatguru, it looks like the 3-class config, which, if anything, may be an upgrade? It seems like the suites are roomier (if the numbers on seatguru are to be believed)
It's not to be believed, because the A350 fuselage has a width of 5.97 m and the A330 has a width of 5.64 m (777 is 6.2m). The A350's J had some problems on the first round of seats, but they all should be using CX's newest Zodiac product, which is a refinement on the older product used for 77Ws and A330s. The A330s are being fitted into the narrowest cabins so they are the "tightest".

That being said you'll probably live if you get CX's tightest fit for a lie flat seat (as well as their somewhat older model) for a two and a half hour flight.

Does what I'm saying all make sense? I don't think I should be doing anything or contacting CX... does that sound right? I want to make sure I don't end up in Y or anything
Yeah, you should be fine. At least you're not flying their Premium Y-er, I mean "regional J" product like I am HND-HKG in a few months. Which is basically AS F + a small DL-style IFE screen, no real at seat storage (IOW their longhaul Premium Y product). Which is perfectly survivable on a 3-4 hour flight, if behind what even TG gives you, and WELL behind what SQ is going to have fleetwide pretty soon (lie flats everywhere).
VegasGambler and jinglish like this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Mar 18, 2019 at 12:29 pm
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Not that I am aware of. All the non-registration sites do not show CX availability. Registration is free for airline programs (QF, BA, JL) so it should not be an issue to register.
Does JL still show CX availability? I have used it in the past but I don't think it has been showing any CX availability of lately, wasn't sure if that was tool related or not.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
Does JL still show CX availability? I have used it in the past but I don't think it has been showing any CX availability of lately, wasn't sure if that was tool related or not.
Yes. You have to select either a CX specific partner search or OneWorld search to get CX results from JAL.

Someone here, sorry, I forget who, claims the CX search on JL most accurately reflects AS availability. This may be true. I just booked a flight in CX F where CX showed no availability, JL and QF showed availability, BA did not show any availability. I was on a CX Asia Miles waitlist and so was a bit peeved when they started offering space to partners without opening space in their own program so I called Asia Miles to see if they could help clear my waitlist and the clueless agent on the phone told me that it is what it is. If Asia Miles does not show award space there was nothing he could do except tell me to wait, pray, and hope they would clear it one day (even though CX was making the space available to partners). Then I called AS and booked the seat which was available to AS the same as it was to JL and QF. CX Asia Miles waitlist appears broken, at least if you have no status.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Yes. You have to select either a CX specific partner search or OneWorld search to get CX results from JAL.

Someone here, sorry, I forget who, claims the CX search on JL most accurately reflects AS availability. This may be true. I just booked a flight in CX F where CX showed no availability, JL and QF showed availability.

[...]

Then I called AS and booked the seat which was available to AS the same as it was to JL and QF. CX Asia Miles waitlist appears broken, at least if you have no status.
That is my experience when using QF for CX availability and 100% of the time AS saw what I did. No issues booking CX when feeding them specific flights and always beyond HKG. I have booked CX in as little as 8 minutes with the BOI crew.

It may have been me you are referring to as I have posted about this before.

James in Puerto Vallarta.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I have booked CX in as little as 8 minutes with the BOI crew.

It may have been me you are referring to as I have posted about this before.

James in Puerto Vallarta.
I got a BOI agent who was great too this time. Booked in maybe 10-12 minutes. I told him right off the bat I was looking to book a CX award and he said he could take care of that for me and he did. I always make sure to tell even the knowledgeable agents that the flight is leaving around midnight and they need to put in a time of 1AM to search or they will not find the flight. I have not booked many CX flights but I have never had a problem booking through AS when I verified availability through other partners before calling. Down to the last seat they see what I found on partners. I check multiple partners before calling.

And, yeah, it probably was you who suggest JAL results as a perfect match to AS for CX availability. Thanks for the tip!
Old Mar 18, 2019, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have not booked many CX flights but I have never had a problem booking through AS when I verified availability through other partners before calling. Down to the last seat they see what I found on partners. I check multiple partners before calling.
When I booked my CX award, I saw it on multiple partners but the AS agents were not able to see it. I tried two different phone agents as well as texting. I told them about the "hour=1" trick as well. They could see Y but not J or F.

Then I called back the next day and the first agent I spoke to was able to see the space and book it right away. I'm not sure if all the previous agents were doing something wrong, or if it was a temporary issue with the system.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:04 pm

When I booked my CX award, I saw it on multiple partners but the AS agents were not able to see it. I tried two different phone agents as well as texting. I told them about the "hour=1" trick as well. They could see Y but not J or F.

Then I called back the next day and the first agent I spoke to was able to see the space and book it right away. I'm not sure if all the previous agents were doing something wrong, or if it was a temporary issue with the system.
It is difficult to know. Was this definitely inside the 330 day window? I would tend to suspect poorly trained agents but AS IT is poor so who knows?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was about 4.5 months out, so well inside 330 days. Again, they were able to see Y space so the flights were there. Just no premium cabin space (despite there being as many as 5 J award seats showing up for some of the flights on the BA site -- BKK-HKG seems to have lots of J availability. Several flights today are still showing J9 on EF).

Anyway, it worked the next day, so no big deal. The extra day did not cost me my HKG-SFO F spot.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Originally Posted by pinniped
That begs the obvious question: if I'm confirmed in PE, is there any chance I'd ever see a kiosk upgrade for $120 to J?

I'm guessing this question has an equally obvious answer.
youre a dreamer, I like that 😂

the fare difference between PE and J for HKG - JNB was $2000usd, I know this because Alaska incorrectly booked my prtners J flight into a revenue class. Cathay offered me $120, and Cathay offered my partner $2000usd in cash. Needless to say I flew in J and he flew in PE with a very fat wallet that day. This is a true story!
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008

youre a dreamer, I like that 😂

the fare difference between PE and J for HKG - JNB was $2000usd, I know this because Alaska incorrectly booked my prtners J flight into a revenue class. Cathay offered me $120, and Cathay offered my partner $2000usd in cash. Needless to say I flew in J and he flew in PE with a very fat wallet that day. This is a true story!
Interesting! Downgrade offers are sort of a test of the Endowment Effect.

Would I pay $2000 cash right now to upgrade from PE to J? No way, that's crazy!
Would I accept $2000 cash to downgrade from J to PE? Hmmm....I gotta think about that for a moment... (Ultimately, I too would likely say yes.)

$1k would be the Endowment Effect point for me. I could easily see myself saying no to both the upgrade and downgrade offers.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's illogical. Sort of like a "hold" recommendation from a stock "analyst".
Old Mar 19, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
CX seems to be loosening the iron grip on F awards this year. Finally released one F seat on Dec 31 HKG-ORD that was F6. The only other award seat on that flight is PEY so it remains to be seen if we will keep the DL nonstop we already booked or fly mixed cabin.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by rufflesinc
CX seems to be loosening the iron grip on F awards this year. Finally released one F seat on Dec 31 HKG-ORD that was F6. The only other award seat on that flight is PEY so it remains to be seen if we will keep the DL nonstop we already booked or fly mixed cabin.
J availability also seems to be missing. Checking for Feb 2020, HKG-LAX and you dont see the usual 4 seats availability like usual.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:03 pm

Anyone know what exact time AS reps will see the next available date of CX flights at the 330 mark?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by reverted
Anyone know what exact time AS reps will see the next available date of CX flights at the 330 mark?
IIRC , it was around 10am-12pm eastern daylight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.