Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2019, 4:23 pm

CX Award Booking - Combine 2 One-Way Flights?

Hello -

I'm trying to book an award with my Alaska Miles - I'm checking availably from SGN -> ORD and finding nothing. However, I can find SGN-HKG and HKG-ORD with plenty of time, but that same search (dates class) shows nada. Has anyone had experience with Alaska being able to access this route and combine to a single one-way route?

Thanks!
Old Mar 15, 2019, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Feed the AS rep segment by segment and see what happens.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:14 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Yiran Liu
Hello, an interesting scenario here

I booked 2 MLE-HKG-SFO separate reservation on the same itinerary backed in August 2018 where HKG-SFO leg is F+J and MLE-HKG leg is PE. Two weeks ago, I found MLE-HKG segment has 2 J opened, so I went on called AS to upgrade the segment. However, the itinerary with J on HKG-SFO after re-issuing only shows MLE-HKG segment and missing HKG-SFO segment while the segment with F works fine. The itinerary shows fine on AS.

Tried to call CX they ask me to call AS. Called AS and they say it's CX's problem. Several days later, I found the itinerary on AS also missing the second segment, tried to call AS several times and all the agent told me that it's a schedule change and they are waiting CX to do something.....

So my question is, is this normal? I don't think I can recall any similar situation like this... Shall I keep calling? It's AS or CX's issue? Or it's completely normal? My trip was in June so it's not too urgent yet but I'm still worried. I've waited for a week but nothing happened....

Thank you very much for any kind of advice!
Dropped on reissue https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...practices.html

CX's problem, but they don't want to fix it. They've essentially "snatched back" the seat on reissue.
AS can't do anything either
It'll essentially be you've got to find another HKG-SFO segment again

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 16, 2019 at 4:42 am
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
TWO first class AS mileage tickets available LAX-HKG Cathay tomorrow night. Just saying...

PS Not phantom. For realz.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: Alaska,AC,Avios,
if I book a first ticket from HKG to east coast what are the chances they will downgrade the aircraft and not have first cabin and if that happen do they provide any compensation?
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tdot_guy
if I book a first ticket from HKG to east coast what are the chances they will downgrade the aircraft and not have first cabin and if that happen do they provide any compensation?
A: nobody knows for sure, we’re not psychics. Cathay will do what they want to do.

B: you could ask for miles back. This isn’t Europe so there is no compensation due by EU law or anything.
jinglish likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

A: nobody knows for sure, we’re not psychics. Cathay will do what they want to do.

B: you could ask for miles back. This isn’t Europe so there is no compensation due by EU law or anything.
I figured there are no psychics here , I was trying to get an idea if it happens often. Thanks for replying tho
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I figured there are no psychics here , I was trying to get an idea if it happens often. Thanks for replying tho
I haven't heard of any CX aircraft changes to a 3 cabin configuration; F is on the 4 cabin configurations. One of the daily flights from LAX changed to a 3 cabin. I was booked in F and was downgraded to J on that flight last month. I was notified by AS and the points difference was refunded when the new J ticket was issued along with a small credit in taxes.

To JFK I think it would be unlikely for an aircraft change but for operational reasons anything is possible.

James in Puerto Vallarta.
tobikosan and tdot_guy like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
For cathay an award downgrade and a revenue downgrade is treated a lot differently... they were asking for volunteers when I was booked in J HKG JNB and offered me something like $120usd to take premium economy, yes, a $120 from business to premium economy on a 12 hour leg .. don’t expect much from cx in this regard lol
Old Mar 17, 2019, 12:54 pm

To JFK? I'd say slim to none. In the unlikely event this were to happen, you'd get the customary refund in AS miles, but doubt CX would offer you anything substantial.
tdot_guy likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:55 pm

thank you all, helps me make my decision
Old Mar 17, 2019, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm on an AS award flight BKK-HKG tomorrow in J -- CX 780. I just got an EF alert about an equipment change: A350-900 -> A330-300. From correlating the seat map on EF with the maps on seatguru, it looks like the 3-class config, which, if anything, may be an upgrade? It seems like the suites are roomier (if the numbers on seatguru are to be believed)

Also one more business class seat available (and EF shows J9 anyway... and my seat selection still shows up on the itinerary online as "confirmed"). Unfortunately still no F cabin (I'm on an F award, with this leg in J).

Does what I'm saying all make sense? I don't think I should be doing anything or contacting CX... does that sound right? I want to make sure I don't end up in Y or anything
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mauibaby2008

For cathay an award downgrade and a revenue downgrade is treated a lot differently... they were asking for volunteers when I was booked in J HKG JNB and offered me something like $120usd to take premium economy, yes, a $120 from business to premium economy on a 12 hour leg .. don’t expect much from cx in this regard lol
That begs the obvious question: if I'm confirmed in PE, is there any chance I'd ever see a kiosk upgrade for $120 to J?

I'm guessing this question has an equally obvious answer.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott T
Is there any tool for searching CX award availability that does not require registration, e.g. like Delta and United where award availability can be seen as guest also?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by bdhaliwa
Is there any tool for searching CX award availability that does not require registration, e.g. like Delta and United where award availability can be seen as guest also?
Not that I am aware of. All the non-registration sites do not show CX availability. Registration is free for airline programs (QF, BA, JL) so it should not be an issue to register.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.