Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:11 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Also this is pertinent: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=1949397

Schedule changes: On international awards, schedule changes of two hours or longer, or those breaking connections by bringing them below MCT / minimum connection times, flight cancellations, generally may be cancelled and redeposited without fees, or engender greater flexibility in changes. With AA awards, it is possible award seating may be opened when there is none; with partners, AA can appeal to the Liaison to the partner to open seating in these cases (the partner airline may or may not grant the exception requested). Equipment change constitutes a schedule change and you will be able to get the fee waived pre this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Last edited by percysmith; Feb 26, 2019 at 1:31 am
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:34 am

Programs: JL Diamond, CX Gold, HH Gold
We don't get protection as on asiamiles nor as a MPC elite - If a non-MPC/non-AM on partner program can get it, it will be extremely interesting for everyone on this board to know about your case.
If HUACA does help about award spacing, that will be fairly interesting for us to know too.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by AmD950
We don't get protection as on asiamiles nor as a MPC elite
So what happened with this? Your situation in this post sounds like the situation I am in except I booked with Alaska. Referencing and going into further details about your post would have helped tremendously. Did they open up a redemption seat for you (assuming it was an award booking) on the flight you were rebooked on or was there already availability? Maybe @percysmith can help answer those questions since he provided the update in your thread that you were rebooked.

edited to add: saw that percy posted that cx opened up availability for you so whats this non-protection you speak of? Seemed like they resolved your situation to your satisfaction.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post29091985

Originally Posted by AmD950
it will be extremely interesting for everyone on this board to know about your case.
I’ve already stated my case, twice. You want even more details like flight numbers? I was booked and ticketed on SFO-HKG-MLE (cx851 and cx601) all on CX metal through Alaska Mileage Plan in July 2018. On Friday Alaska sent me an email that one of my flights is no longer being serviced and to contact them for a rebooking. CX601 originally flying on a Thurs got cancelled and rescheduled to Wed. I contacted them (AS) and after talking to CX they proposed I take the SFO-HKG on Tuesday but taking another PTO day and paying for another night in the Maldives is a last resort and I told them that. That is when they told me they will talk to their liaison and get back to me. Anything about my case I can clarify on?

Last edited by travelbugging; Feb 26, 2019 at 3:45 am
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by travelbugging
So what happened with this? Your situation in this post sounds like the situation I am in except I booked with Alaska. Referencing and going into further details about your post would have helped tremendously. Did they open up a redemption seat for you (assuming it was an award booking) on the flight you were rebooked on or was there already availability? Maybe @percysmith can help answer those questions since he provided the update in your thread that you were rebooked.

edited to add: saw that percy posted that cx opened up availability for you so whats this non-protection you speak of? Seemed like they resolved your situation to your satisfaction.

I was in the same situation in the following year, on an identical itinerary, burning Asia Miles on CX, and achieved a similar outcome.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...l#post29091985

He's burning AM on CX
Analagous to burning AA miles on AA in #286

You're burning partner miles on CX.
Generally when we burn AM on partners, we get a resolute no.
We'll both be miffed if the inverse isn't true.

Also he only wants a short haul, even tho on a peak day. You want a long haul.

I contacted them (AS) and after talking to CX they proposed I take the SFO-HKG on Tuesday but taking another PTO day and paying for another night in the Maldives is a last resort and I told them that.

That seems like the response we are expecting.
Can the liaison do any better?

P.S. Also, is the booking locked into your itinerary?
See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...-24-hours.html
Best if you can hold onto the +1 PTO day itin
And wait for CX to release the original days (although in my track record, both the QR rebook and the AA rebook (>24 hours) involved changing leave/hotels).

Last edited by percysmith; Mar 1, 2019 at 11:44 pm
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:25 pm

Quick question - I’m considering getting the AS Visa with a 40,000 point intro bonus. Can I buy a coach seat with miles and then when the miles hit my account from the Vietnam trip, can I upgrade to First without paying an extra fee?

What is is the likelihood of finding a coach ticket now on CX using AS miles for flexible dates in early November? Would be flying from MNL-NYC. I right now would have about 56,000 but by time the return flight credits I would have 72,000 approx. which would be enough for First coming home. I’ve read that CX opens First up sometimes within a few days of departure. Would it be reasonable to expect a minimum of business ticket back? Where can I search for CX availability using AS miles?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lovefly88
Quick question - I’m considering getting the AS Visa with a 40,000 point intro bonus. Can I buy a coach seat with miles and then when the miles hit my account from the Vietnam trip, can I upgrade to First without paying an extra fee?

What is is the likelihood of finding a coach ticket now on CX using AS miles for flexible dates in early November? Would be flying from MNL-NYC. I right now would have about 56,000 but by time the return flight credits I would have 72,000 approx. which would be enough for First coming home. I’ve read that CX opens First up sometimes within a few days of departure. Would it be reasonable to expect a minimum of business ticket back? Where can I search for CX availability using AS miles?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance.
If you book an Economy award ticket now, after 24 hours any changes will incur a $125 change fee without a fee waiver. (MVPG+) Change fees would be waived if you booked a higher class award when a segment didn't have availability at the level of the award booked but became available before departure.

For example you booked MNL-HKG in Y and HKG-JFK in F and later PE or J opened up on MNL-HKG you could upgrade the MNL-HKG segment without fee.

There is no guarantee that an award seat will be available at anytime. While close in has historically been good, the error fares over New Years means there are a lot of full F cabins on revenue tickets.

If you need to secure something, booking Y now and paying the change fee for the upgrade should it avail itself, might be the way to go. Alternatively, you could watch for J once your 40K posts as a J award is 50K or purchase 14K to top off your account to 70K for an F if you can find one. There won't be an F cabin on the very short MNL-HKG leg.

James on the Oceania Marina in Raiatea, Society Islands, French Polynesia.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by percysmith
OK, I agree up to this point.
Mileage Plan has to reissue within CX ticketing deadline.

I do not believe CX does this. Not for BAEC or QF FF. If they do this for Mileage Plan, I'll eat my shoe.
Get ready with the salt and pepper
I had a flight time change where the flight they booked me on arrived AFTER my connecting flight took off (they changed the flight by 12 hours). They did fix it but this was a few years ago so maybe u don't need the salt and pepper after all
It was a partner award ticket.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by estnet
Get ready with the salt and pepper
I had a flight time change where the flight they booked me on arrived AFTER my connecting flight took off (they changed the flight by 12 hours). They did fix it but this was a few years ago so maybe u don't need the salt and pepper after all
It was a partner award ticket.
Was there redemption availability on the flight you were rebooked on? For me and amd950 and travelbugging, there are not.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:13 am

Was there redemption availability on the flight you were rebooked on? For me and amd950 and travelbugging, there are not.
No award was available - but since they didn't want to create a time machine so I could leave before I arrived........well. It was a few years ago and way in advance of the flights ((I don't remember checking what the loads were at the time). All in all I think I was just very lucky! Hope it works out for you.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by estnet
No award was available - but since they didn't want to create a time machine so I could leave before I arrived........well. It was a few years ago and way in advance of the flights ((I don't remember checking what the loads were at the time). All in all I think I was just very lucky! Hope it works out for you.
Well that's the sort of data point I'll eat my shoe on but I don't eat stale shoes. Lots have changed post-22/6/18. So let's see whether @travelbugging gives me a fresh shoe to eat.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:39 am

Well that's the sort of data point I'll eat my shoe on but I don't eat stale shoes. Lots have changed post-22/6/18. So let's see whether @travelbugging gives me a fresh shoe to eat.
They still haven't called me back. Going to call them on Monday but don't think I will be able to provide anything fresh for you because we need to cancel this trip. I am sure CX will have no problems letting me cancel. Will rebook for later next year when award availability opens up and hope that this bs doesn't happen next year.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:17 pm

Where is the best way to search for CX awards? BA still accurate? Does AS have access to all space shown on BA?

Any idea why I am not seeing any CX award availability intra-Asia in 2020?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by echino
Any idea why I am not seeing any CX award availability intra-Asia in 2020?
Possibly married segments? You may be able to book them when married to a North America to HKG long-haul connection. I have seen CX Asia Miles have access to inter-Asia awards but not open those awards to partners for 2-3 months (if there are any left).
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Possibly married segments? You may be able to book them when married to a North America to HKG long-haul connection. I have seen CX Asia Miles have access to inter-Asia awards but not open those awards to partners for 2-3 months (if there are any left).
Maybe b/c you can't book past mid-end Jan (331 days)?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:58 pm

They still haven't called me back. Going to call them on Monday but don't think I will be able to provide anything fresh for you because we need to cancel this trip. I am sure CX will have no problems letting me cancel. Will rebook for later next year when award availability opens up and hope that this bs doesn't happen next year.
Cancel because of the misconnect or other issue/development?

What happens next time will be independent of your outcome this time, however, you may be similarly shafted next time with CX too.

Also wonder if AS will waive redeposit charges on your separately-ticketed inbound. Probably MP is more generous than AM on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.